Poll: Who do YOU think has the most elite military unit in the world?

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Well maybe they were not most "elite", but wasn't there a certain kown group of german special forces which allmost anyone knows [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzstaffel] and which tend to be the hardest enemys in like EVERY FUCKING WWII Game?

Cynical, marginal humour aside I think I go with SAS. Heard they have quite a hard training, but this statement is pretty unqualified.

Jacob Hess

Mar 15, 2010
The CIA Special Activities Division. Yeah, they're only borderline military, but they also draw their members from the best of Navy SEALs, Delta Force, and the like. Most badass of them all.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
The SAS are the baddest that ever did ass. Not only because of combat ability, but also because they are some of the most versatile forces deployable today.

ironkex

Jan 31, 2011
The best secret service is the ones wich are still secret so we have no idead what is their capability to tip the favour to the side they are on

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
Jacco said:
I was just watching a documentary on the Discovery Channel about the US Navy SEAL team 6. Those were the guys that took out Bin Laden.

Anyway, I knew the SEALs were elite, but the documentary showed clearly that they are (especially team 6) are the badasses TO THE badasses. I've long held that either Delta Force or the SEALs are the kings followed by the other and then by units like the SAS and GSG9 but that Documentary was pretty clear on who wins in the US military.

I understand that everyone wants to have the best so who do you think is the king military unit of badasses and why?

I going to put up a poll listing all of the SpecOps units I can think of so please don't be offended if yous in not on it.
So yeah about that...

The S.A.S trained the Seals and Delta force...
In fact to this day they still do.

They also train a collection of other military bodies around the world.

Yeeeeeahhhh....

Jian-Li

Mar 24, 2010
Don't bother with this poll. The only way to really find out is putting squads of these special forces against each other multiple times and seeing who wins the most. Not that this test would ever happen.

HooterNanny

May 19, 2010
Being British, I picked SAS (patriotism ftw!), but then I was reminded of the SBS, they are pretty damn amazing.

Although, while I loathe America and Americans (no offence), Team 6 is badass. Overall, SAS though

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Roland Strom said:
Don't bother with this poll. The only way to really find out is putting squads of these special forces against each other multiple times and seeing who wins the most. Not that this test would ever happen.
No one said it was scientific. It's a fun discussion about people's opinions.

Azaez

Jul 29, 2011
Im American but i have to say the SAS, they know what they are doing and do it well, the SEALS come in a very close 2nd :D followed by Delta Force

Jacco

May 1, 2011
HooterNanny said:
Being British, I picked SAS (patriotism ftw!), but then I was reminded of the SBS, they are pretty damn amazing.

Although, while I loathe America and Americans (no offence), Team 6 is badass. Overall, SAS though
How are we NOT supposed to take offense to that? Hahaha. And the SAS is pretty cool. I knew a former SAS guy once. He had some stories that make movies look like reality.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
6unn3r said:
Other...

Rainbow 6 anyone?

Yeah.
Rainbow is just a fictionalized international version of DEVGRU. Clancy even said that it was his inspiration.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Holy shit, for the final time...
[HEADING=1]DEVGRU =/= SEALs
SEALs =/= DEVGRU[/HEADING]

Quit saying SEALs when you ACTUALLY mean DEVGRU. DEVGRU consists of SEALs, but they are NOT the same thing. SEALs are no more elite than ARMY Rangers. It doesn't mean they aren't badasses, but I have a feeling that everyone is jumping onto the SEALs bandwagon because of all of the recent publicity. Yes, the news calls them SEALs, but they are actually referring to DEVGRU.

It's like ordering a nice cold Pilsner and receiving a Bud Light. Sure, it's Pilsner and it might do if you're into that sort of thing, but it's not as good it's alternative.

There are a SHITLOAD of SEALs. There are only a select few people in groups like DEVGRU, DELTA, and the SAS.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Snake Plissken said:
Shock and Awe said:
If I want to run a hit and run OP who better than the SEALs?
DEVGRU. I know, they are all SEALs, but there is a distinct difference between a SEAL and a member of DEVGRU. It's like the difference between an ARMY Ranger and a member of DELTA.
I actually had Seal Team 6 in mind when I typed that, didn't the had another designation. Well live and learn I suppose.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I was going to say the Spetsnaz (American here), but then I realized that these groups are all extremely diverse and have gone in and out of being "The Best".

The US Delta force isn't really a thing anymore (they stopped being referred Delta after Mogadishu incident), they are mainly just called US special Forces, and forgetting the stuff that the populace doesn't know about, they aren't really as active anymore. Mainly they are just doing counter-terrorist stuff as glorified soldiers in Afghanistan.

Same goes for the SAS, they are basically just doing the exact same stuff as the US Special Forces.

From what I know, the German GSG-9 is pretty much just the equivalent of American Swat, though more terrorist oriented, and they are very inactive.

I literally have no idea about Israel is up to these days (are they still fighting the Palestinians?), but their Commandos really have no bounds. Watch Munich if you want to see a semi Accurate portrayal of the crap they do. They basically use terrorist tactics against their enemies, though very effectively.

The Spetsnaz have the most intense training, some that wouldn't even be deemed humane. They can kill you in a thousand ways, and they can do that with a backflip whilst throwing a shovel. They really have no feelings, and scare the shit out of everyone. I met one once. It was unsettling.

So I'm gonna go with either the Spetsnaz, for sheer viciousness, or
redisforever said:
Israel FTW! Seriously, most of Israel's exports are military tech. That's what we do.
These guys, because I vaguely remember hearing about them doing some pretty bad ass shit back in the 70s, though I don't know if they still are active.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Personally, I would have to say the older American LRRP (Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol) units, though I say that both due to the fact that my father was one back when he was in the army, and the fact that I know very little about the other units in the poll. However, I DO know that LRRPs were essentially the other side of the same proverbial coin that the Rangers belong to. Rangers have sheer numbers, are loud, proud, and are the U.S. Armys 'elite' shock troops. LRRPs on the other hand, are small units that are quiet, rely on stealth, as well as operate behind enemy lines. The ratio of enemy kills to LRRP deaths is also extraordinary, sometimes going up to 400 enemy casualties for every death of their own (As stated in their wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LRRP ).

However, like I said, that's mainly due to favoritism. Other than the LRRPs, I would definitely have to say the Gurkha's of the British Armed Forces. By reputation, ice not only runs through their veins, but they are also the nicest people you could have on your side. Personally, if I was ever in a situation against a Gurkha, especially in wartime, I would piss myself. (For a more in-depth look into the Gurkha's, here is their wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghurka )

However, like I've said before, I know next to nothing about the other Special Ops groups listed in the poll, so my opinion probably doesn't, or shouldn't mean much. I would never discount any Special Ops group in any National Armed Forces, or even one that belongs in a Private Military Company.