Poll: Why do you (not) eat meat?

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Let's face it

there is no moral imperative for me here. I eat meat because, gosh darn it, it tastes good, it's readily available and it makes it easier to balance a plate nutritionally. I'm a cook by profession. I couldn't get away from it even if I wanted to and I love meat.

Things need to be improved in the industry. I think slowly but surely we will get there. In the meantime I will eat meat.

srm79

Jan 31, 2010

Seriously though, I eat meat because it's a natural part of our diet. Our teeth, our digestive systems and our bodies nutritional requirements are all the product of tens of thousands of years of omnivorous diets.

Yes I know all the moral arguments, but I simply don't care enough to give up meat. I do try to be free range and organic when I can but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

And as you so eloquently put it on your questionnaire:

Because bacon. Mmmmm....

[EDIT] Edited for spelling.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
I eaat meat for three reasons:

1. It's damn tasty. I love fruits, and I like most vegetables, but if I have a choice between, say, and apple and a burrito, I'll take the burrito every time.

2. It's good for you. Meat has all kinds of protiens that are very difficult to get in sufficient qualities elsewhere. Humans evolved as predators, and as such our bodies are adapted for having meat in our diets.

3. To spite PETA. I'm serious. I hate PETA so much that I've actually started hating vegans simply by association. I know, I know, it's not your fault, but if it makes you feel any better, I feel the same smug self-rightousness when I eat beef as you do when you eat lettuce.
(I'm probably getting the better end of that deal though).

terrible cheeb

Nov 7, 2009
meat tastes great, i have canine teeth for a reason. also i dont really care about animals, eating meat isnt immoral

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
I love meat. A juicy pink-centered hamburger. A leg, breast, wing of a baked chicken with the skin still on. Ham cooked in maple syrup and honey and slices dipped in ketchup. Perfectly grilled lamb chops with thin paddies if butter melting on top. Bacon, crispy bacon. *in song* These are a few of my favorite things.

Additionally, I actually need to eat meat. Last year I had gastric bypass surgery to help my obesity problem, (which I've lost 130 lbs since), and the most important nutrient after the surgery is protein. This is to keep your body from using your muscles for energy instead of the fat deposits. To the best of my knowledge, I could be misunderstanding something here, there isn't a lot of, if any, protein in veggies. Not knocking vegans, right now at least, for there choice but, just like religions and genitles, don't force it on other people. Looking at you PETA.

So for me;
Eating Meat = Protein
Protein = Life
Therefore, Eating Meat = Life

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Because it's a very delicious protein. Soy is too high in estrogen for me to want to base my diet off of it, and dairy is higher in fat than poultry and fish.

Also, salmon.

Mmmm... salmon...

KedynCrow

Sep 23, 2009
Personally, I eat meat because whenever I bite into a ribeye, seared rare and bleeding, something deep and primal in the depths of my lizard-brain does a joyous little carnivore backflip.

Now I could be pretentious and defensive and say that thousands of creatures die every harvest for your veggie-burger, brutally slaughtered in combines and threshers as grains are harvested. I could say that we require animal protein or a ludicrous amount of vegetable protein to ensure proper muscle development and maintenance; because honestly, what's better to build muscle from than muscle? But, as I finish these left-over pork ribs, I find that its the fact that meat is delicious; a fact which thousands of years of evolution and the continued existence of my canine teeth joyously give credence to.

But if you want to eat veggies, go for it. Just don't preach.

KedynCrow

Sep 23, 2009
Personally, I eat meat because whenever I bite into a ribeye, seared rare and bleeding, something deep and primal in the depths of my lizard-brain does a joyous little carnivore backflip.

Now I could be pretentious and defensive and say that thousands of creatures die every harvest for your veggie-burger, brutally slaughtered in combines and threshers as grains are harvested. I could say that we require animal protein or a ludicrous amount of vegetable protein to ensure proper muscle development and maintenance; because honestly, what's better to build muscle from than muscle? But, as I finish these left-over pork ribs, I find that its the fact that meat is delicious; a fact which thousands of years of evolution and the continued existence of my canine teeth joyously give credence to.

But if you want to eat veggies, go for it. Just don't preach.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
Blablahb said:
rutger5000 said:
I don't eat because I only want antibiotics when I have a severe infection, I don't want any steroids
Uhm, you are aware that animal-specific growth hormones don't affect humans, pretty much all of it gets broken down in your digestive system?

The few artificial growth hormones that do carry over are banned throughout the EU.
You won't make me believe that a newborn chick can grow to a 2 kilo chicken in just a few weeks without massive ammounts of hormones. Sure those are eventually broken down by your digestive system, but so are every drug and most poisons. Breaking down stuff is what your digestive system does, doesn't mean it isn't unlhealthy. Besides that, there are still the antibiotics, feeding cattle antibiotics is a danger for public health. (It's hardly any different from creating antibiotics resistant bacteria purposfully in a lab)

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
I eat meat because I grew up eating meat. I don't care why you don't and it is no ones business what I do at home, please fuck off you hippie cock sucker, and leave me and the rest of the world alone, stop trying to make it seem what I do is a bad thing, because you feel so fucking self righteous because you're barely different.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Soods said:
Greetings humans. Today I would simply like to know, why do you eat meat? And if you do not eat meat, you can tell why not.

I do not eat meat because I believe it is harmful for the environment. And I hate the greasy taste it leaves in my mouth. Also: "Look at me! I'm so hipster for not eating meat!"

Now your turn!
How is it harmful? It is actually harmful to not eat meat. We need to kill animals in order to keep populations in check. The worst thing we can do is to just let the meat waste away and decompose. We eat the meat we get from population checking.

Or at least that is how I have always looked at it.
I eat meat so please don't think what I am about to say is fueled by meat hate, but you are wrong. Animal populations are artificially enlarged right now because humans are raising them for food. Animal populations natural regulate themselves and typically grow no bigger then the area they live can support. There are some exception such as an animal being introduce to an area for another part of the world and therefore having no natural predator to control the population, but that only ever occurs because of human involvement.

So eat meat cause you like it, don't eat cause you think you are helping control a population cause that is not the case.

bauke67

Apr 8, 2011
Just something to think about:
Animals are horrible opportunistic creatures who thinkof nothing but their own gain, and kill eachother dayly. Plants are harmless things that live harmoniously simply fedding of the earth, dying, and in doing so giving their life back to the earth.

Which ones do you think we should kill?

Darthbawls77

May 18, 2011
I love all types of food and that includes meat of all types. Its delicious and good for us in controlled amounts. I do thank all the animals that gave their lives for my loved ones and myself. I do wish we treated them alot better before we slaughtered them. Just cause they are food for us doesnt mean we shouldnt show some respect.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
bauke67 said:
Just something to think about:
Animals are horrible opportunistic creatures who thinkof nothing but their own gain, and kill eachother dayly. Plants are harmless things that live harmoniously simply fedding of the earth, dying, and in doing so giving their life back to the earth.

Which ones do you think we should kill?
The plants of course because I am able to form emotional connections with the animals and not the plants and, because even though I swear that I do what I do out of noble concern for other living things it is really about me and my feels and satisfying my emotional needs.

The above is sarcasm though it is not far from the truth when it comes to a lot of vegetarians. Which is fine to each their own, but stop being so preachy about it is loathsomely drawl to the rest of us.

I eat meat, but sparingly, cause that is how humans are meant to eat.