Poll: Why do you swear/curse?

michael_ab

Jun 22, 2009
i use ti to amplify statments, the words have no particular meaning, just their presence adds effect. this can be used for comedic reasons too

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
Ninjamedic said:
I'm Irish. What do you think?
Best. Excuse. Ever.

I swear to prounounce my amazment at something having happened.

This can be almost getting hit in the head by a bag. Or some dirty camper hiding on a map that just took me out.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
To extenuate what I'm saying. When a sentence doesn't seem complete, I make it more dramatic through cursing.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
"Other." Multiple of the above- anger, comedy, just do, but when I don't it's occasionally because it would be rude to do so- mixed with "because I know the words and see no compelling reason not to use them". Sure, someone might be offended by "fuck", and if I know that I'll try to avoid upsetting them, but in general I use them because dammit, they're words too and I should be allowed to use my words.

ajemas

Nov 19, 2009
I do it when I'm angry or in pain. Did you guys know that swearing can actually improve your pain tolerance? They had people dunk their hands in ice water, and found that saying a swear word repeatedly, as opposed to a neutral word, allowed them to hold their hands under for longer.
Source: http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/13/cursing-and-pain-relief/

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
I swear when I need to put emphasis on something. Swearing can be affective in getting people's attention, but only when you don't do it every other word. If you constantly swear you sound like a 13 year old or an uneducated jerk.

Kialee

Aug 1, 2010
To express anger, and sometimes for comedic effect.
Using swear words to make a statement usually has as much impact as lightly bumping into something large and weighty. Say, Roseanne.
They're just words, anyway. It's not the word that matters, it's the meaning and context in which they're used.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
I generally don't swear when I'm speaking, because I'm just not good at utilizing expletives properly in real life. It's a different story when I'm typing, though, where I usually swear pretty freely if it'll add extra impact to my statement without feeling gratuitous.