Poll: Why the Hell would you buy the new Pokemon game?

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Is it formulaic? Yes. But it's a fun formula, that's why I buy it. Frankly, as much as I love all the previous games, once you've played through them 2 or 3 times, they aren't as fun. The new ones offer at least one reasonably novel play through each. New pokemon, new enemies, no places. That's why.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
As a very "casual" Pokémon player (I only own HeartGold and haven't even entirely finished it), I don't see any reason to take interest in the new installments. Sure, there are changes with each generation and a bunch of different pocket monsters to catch, but if you've played one Pokémon game, you know the whole Pokémon formula and it just isn't fun or intriguing enough to warrant purchasing again and again for me (or even just one more "again," as my game library shows). However, X and Y looks like it'll be making quite a number of improvements/additions to shake the series up a little, so if I owned a 3DS, I would have checked it out after a little price drop. The new 'mon look pretty cool and getting to ride one around would be neat. And of course there's the whole doing-3D-for-the-first-time and having full animations during battles thing; I'd say that's kind of a big deal for the franchise.

So in my (not-very-educated, mind you) opinion, X and Y is the first really justifiable Pokémon sequel since..maybe ever. 'Course I sure as hell am not going to buy a 3DS for it and if you've been playing that many Pokémon games and for that long, I sure can imagine you're downright sick of them. Because let's be honest here; it's still Pokémon no matter how many changes Gamefreak makes. You're either into that or you aren't and it sounds like you simply aren't anymore, OP.

Verrik

Sep 28, 2012
I don't get what the point of a question like this is. Why ask? You already know. YOU may have gotten tired of Pokemon, but it's obvious others haven't. Everyone's different, go figure.

I've played Pokemon since Red version and I still play it because I haven't gotten sick of it yet. No need to do research about it, it's that simple. Pokemon is a little game that I find entertaining, and it can easily be played on the go.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
You know, just because one game has more sequels than another doesn't mean that game should stop getting sequels. Every new pokemon that comes out always has some mons that interest me, the story gets better every game, and the little changes in gameplay (Different types, new moves) are really all the incentive I need.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Speaking in the royal "you", I assume that one would buy the new Pokemon game because they want to play another Pokemon game? Much the same reason as anyone else buys any other game... because they want to play it? Much the same as someone would not buy the new Pokemon game if they didn't want to play it. I don't understand the confusion here.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Why the hell would you buy the new CoD game?

Why the hell would you buy the new BF game?

Why the hell would you buy the new Street Fighter game?

Why the hell would you buy the new Final Fantasy game?

Why the hell would you buy the new Zelda game?

I could go on. People like what they like. And often, they like the same thing with a fresh layer of paint and a handful of new bits and bobs, and they're happy.

I mean Im not defending Pokemon specifically, I left Pokemon behind with my gameboy colour (not that I dislike it now, I just find that it doesnt have the same charm if I emulate it and the gameboy colour is my most up to date handheld.)

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
I will probably pick it up. Sure the core game is the same but there are enough improvements for me to justify a purchase. I have only played yellow, gold and black 2. Just got my 3ds this year. My main concern is difficulty. I remember yellow and gold really made you work for those gym badges. You had to prepare for fights and grind out levels. Pokemon black 2 was way to easy. I was beating gym leaders with pokemon several levels under theirs. It made the game kind of boring. If it turns out these are the same way they will probably be the last pokemon games I buy. At least give us some difficulty options.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
The same reason I buy a new game in any other franchise that I like...because I still like the franchise and I want to play it.

Yeah, Gen 6 isn't looking super great for me. What with the focus on Mega evolutions and everyone gushing over Fairy type, I'm willing to bet Gen 6 will be closer to Gen 4 than Gen 5 on my personal scale (for the record 4 is my least favorite, 5 is my favorite)

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Verrik said:
I don't get what the point of a question like this is. Why ask? You already know. YOU may have gotten tired of Pokemon, but it's obvious others haven't. Everyone's different, go figure.

I've played Pokemon since Red version and I still play it because I haven't gotten sick of it yet. No need to do research about it, it's that simple. Pokemon is a little game that I find entertaining, and it can easily be played on the go.
Which was why I posed the question in the first place. I wanted to see what kept Pokemon players into it.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Elijin said:
Why the hell would you buy the new CoD game? HELL NO

Why the hell would you buy the new BF game? no

Why the hell would you buy the new Street Fighter game? no

Why the hell would you buy the new Final Fantasy game? no

Why the hell would you buy the new Zelda game?probably not

I could go on. People like what they like. And often, they like the same thing with a fresh layer of paint and a handful of new bits and bobs, and they're happy.

I mean Im not defending Pokemon specifically, I left Pokemon behind with my gameboy colour (not that I dislike it now, I just find that it doesnt have the same charm if I emulate it and the gameboy colour is my most up to date handheld.)
Well now that we have cleared that up, I should state I think gaming as a whole is failing because nothing being released besides the few original indie titles is new or original.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Your sick of it. Good for you. Next time make a less inflammatory title post that implies that it's "incredible"!" that people still enjoy the shit out of Pokemon.

I'm getting the new games because I like the new Pokemon. I love monsters, and I love Pokemon designs. Therefore I'm gonna get the game on day one, and I cannot fucking wait for October 12th to be here.
I enjoy competitive battling, I enjoy making fanart, and I enjoy talking about Pokemon in general.

It was always just for me, and it's a great way for me to relax. Not only that it's spaced out enough in releases that I always want more.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Among other things, you're kinda assuming the only target for the new Pokemon is people who have been playing other Pokegames up to now. Why am I getting X/Y? I dunno, it's the first one since Red/Blue that I've had any interest in, likely from new 3D style.

But why are people still buying new Pokemon games? That's because the world isn't running out of it's supply of little kids anytime soon.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
The only reason I'm not getting it is because I don't have anything to play it on. I had a DS and played DIamond and Pearl, those were the last two I owned. I do like the Pokemon games a lot, but not enough to buy a handheld as well as the game.

TheCruxis

Jan 19, 2011
I'm not sick of the concept of the games, I'm sick of the fact that pretty much every single pokémon since generation three and later looks so horribly bad. The design has just spiraled downhill imensly.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Adultism said:
Goodness that's a lot of Pokemon, and you know what? I'm sick of it. I guess I have just gotten over the nostalgia of it all but any pokemon game now feels like I've been there done that.
But...but...but you've GOTTA catch'em all!!!! :p

On a more serious note, I never understood how Pokemon has survived this long. I played Red and Gold and borrowed Sapphire from a friend but never completed it. Really each game is the same.

On that note, believe it or not, I'd actually compare it to Call of Duty. All you do for a CoD game is slap on some new, contrived story and throw in a bunch of new multiplayer features. Poof. New CoD in November. It's essentially the same formula for making a new Pokemon game. Come up with some new, contrived story that's just going to end with the player going to the Pokemon League and becoming the new champion. Reskin and rename the pokemon you've already got, shuffle about the powers and types, and poof: new Pokemon game. It all boils down to the fact that you're essentially just buying the same game with a few new features added. In CoD it could be new guns/killstreaks/maps while in Pokemon it's new types/abilities/monsters. The format doesn't change, it's just the world around that format that does.

By comparison look at Final Fantasy. Despite the fact that I stopped liking that franchise a LONG time ago, I will give them credit in that they at least try to mix things up with each new game. They tinker with magic systems, leveling systems, combat systems, all sorts of things so that each game is actually different than the last. Granted, everything I've heard about the franchise would imply that every change they've made from game to game is absolutely horrible, but at least they're keeping things mixed up and different.

So the answer to the question of "why do people keep buying Pokemon" is really the same answer to "why do people keep buying CoD". And when I figure out that answer, I'll be sure to get back with you. Most likely it's simply the games' format has struck gold and there's no need to fix what ain't broke. As long as people will keep paying for essentially the same game with just some added new stuff, you might as well just keep things steady as she goes.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Because, finally...after so long...

That says "Fuck you" to Fighting types

Not to mention that it's a fucking sword!

That, and I will finally have a decent Knight themed Steel-type team.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Slaanesh said:
It took you that long? Christ I felt that way when I beat Silver(only playing Red and Yellow before hand).
Same.

However, we're in the minority. A great many people never get bored of such games.

But, I suppose I never get bored of the Tenchu franchise, so 'to each their own' as I think they say.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
I've played a variation of every game except for Heart Gold and Black 2 but I won't b buying this one as it's 3DS exclusive and it's really not worth being a new console for just that, (although Pokemon was the only thing I ever played on my DS)