Poll: Why the Hell would you buy the new Pokemon game?

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I have always loved Pokemon and I always like to play it when I am feeling a bit depressed and in need of a little cheering up. Plus, the new fire starter looks really cool.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Rock Solid (albeit simple) RPG mechanics

Large variety of pokes leaves both ample room for imagination, and thus keeps even capturing creatures from past games fun.

The trade/battle system is one of the most balanced and impactful ways of social interaction I've encountered in gaming; easy friends through trade, easy enemies through battle (can be vice versa, almost unfortunatetly)

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
I have not played a pokemon games since the original. not because they're bad in any way (i would have no knowledge about this) but i'm ignorant about the new pokemon types and a creatures. i feel like if i picked up the game i would have to spend hours on a detailed pokemon site figuring out which pokemon does what, is what type, is weak to what and what the new powers are. this might sound dumb, but i just feel like that's a lot of work for me at this point in time

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
I played the original pokemon games waaaaay back when, and I have not been "bit" by the pokemon bug since. This new one looks like it could be fun so I will pick it up.

On the other hand, I am super wary of getting Animal Crossing: New Leaf, as I hear it is like crack

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
Some people have their legal drug. Pokemon is one such.

Okay rpg games in their own right, but also a license to milk and print money, especially with kids. Pokemon is Nintendo's secret weapon of sorts, transcending every console gen since the 90's. Always sells and hardly ever disappoints. Across games, anime, manga and much other merchandise, its kept their coffers full nicely. While I don't play the games myself, I can't fault the genius of Pokemon's overall design.

I can understand some being burnt out on Pokemon games as the series has been running for so long, however the true cunning is that in marketing Pokemon to kids at large, there's always someone that wants to buy it. Kids will always want what their friends have too.

Its okay to skip a Pokemon game or two, as much as a gamer might skip a Fifa or CoD game. There's other cool rpg games you can invest in if that's what you like, its just a matter of seeking them out.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Ratties said:
themyrmidon said:

This sums up my relationship with Pokemon. Basically a messy divorce left us on non-speaking terms.
What point are you trying to make with this exactly?
I think the point he is trying to make is that the designs for pokemon in the later gens have become overly complex with all the random colors and spikes added just for the hell of it. And I agree with that. They look too much like toys now.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
themyrmidon said:

This sums up my relationship with Pokemon. Basically a messy divorce left us on non-speaking terms.
They're being a lot better with the colours this time as far as I've been able to tell. Also Gen 6 Charizard

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
I skipped the GBA games and it was a terrible terrible mistake... Played at least one from each set besides that though.

But yeah, I still really dig playing Pokemon and this new gen looks awesome.