Poll: Witcher or Oblivion?

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
The Big Boss said:
Having been a HUGE Tes fan for years i was surprised to find that when i recently started playing The Witcher i actually liked it a LOT more than Oblivion. It had a far more engaging story and more rewarding gameplay and when i finished it i found that i could probably never enjoy Oblivion again, it just seems crap to me now. Sorry guys.
So you made a thread to basically tell us you don't like oblivion anymore?
Good job

poppabaggins

May 29, 2009
The Witcher

I liked the way each chapter had its own almost free-standing story.

I also don't understand what everyone means by pointless repetitive side/fetch quests. I only ever completed the sidequests that were a direct result of doing the main quests. You don't have to go out of your way to do something like killing 6 ghouls; you can carry on with the main quest and eventually kill 6 of them. It's pretty much just like getting bonus XP.

That said, the whole mutant final chapter was all kinds of bad. It was, however, pretty freakin' awesome to come back to the castle town on FIRE.

Oblivion, on the other hand, had one good story and a lot of shitty ones.
The Dark Brotherhood questline was fantastic and actually made me feel bad for killing my former comrades in evil.

Everything else was drab as hell, and I never managed to finish the main questline. Something about full-chameleon clothing just makes the game boring (and I'm not taking it off because I worked HARD to get that).

pvaglueman123

Aug 6, 2009
Oblivion, Oblivion was like "Heres a story, go ahead and do it if you want i don't really care, i have a bunch of other stuff for you if that's more your thing"

The Witcher on the other hand kind of rubbed your face in it...

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
pvaglueman123 said:
Oblivion, Oblivion was like "Heres a story, go ahead and do it if you want i don't really care, i have a bunch of other stuff for you if that's more your thing"

The Witcher on the other hand kind of rubbed your face in it...
Because it's a more story based game than an open world one...?

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Oblivion for me. I prefer the way that elves are treated in that game.

..never liked how elves were treated in The Witcher...I felt so sorry for them.
Not sure if serious...

(But for the record, even if I think that the elves are as banal/boring as everything else in Oblivion, they're awesome in Morrowind. Having a bunch of Dunmer calling you "outlander" or worse really adds to the atmosphere of that game.)
I am serious. I'd rather have the Elves be more integrated into society, and at the least, accepted or slightly dominant culturally...than hunted and oppressed like in The Witcher.
Why? I guess I'm confused as to exactly why you decide whether you like a game or not based on how fictional people treat other fictional people.
*shrug* I dunno because I've always liked elves and elven culture. I know they aren't real, but that doesn't mean, I have to like stories where their treated like crap. o_O
Well, isn't that the sign of good characterization and acting, where you actually feel sorry for how the pointy eared people were being treated? Did you feel good when you stepped in and helped them whenever possible? I think that's the sign of a good game right there, where it really does evoke such emotion.

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
Hobonicus said:
Alucard788 said:
I dunno what to say. I've just always had that kind of preference.

Really I don't know what else I can say. That's my opinion on why I like...what I like.

May seem silly to you but...I dunno...That's just me. o_O
Just for the record, your preference sounds ridiculous to me too. Not in a "you're an idiot" way, just in a "how unusual, I've never heard that before" way.

Just out of curiosity (again, I'm not trying to antagonize you, I've just never seen this perspective before), will you not play other games that depict some sort of racism? And if you do, is it because the discriminatees aren't as interesting as elves?

I just can't wrap my head around being so into an entirely fictional race as to avoid a game that depicts them as a persecuted minority. Maybe you just relate really well to the general elven culture that seeing them wronged is disheartening? Though it seems to me like that'd make the game feel even more powerful, especially because you can choose to ally with them, in both games.
I know it's weird...I'm weird. >_<

(more of a rambling than a clear answer..I find it hard to explain really)

It's just always rubbed me the wrong way with fiction and games that marginalize elves. I've always found that most of those stores have a more "Rwar human males are the best." angle to them...and while I am a hman male I find that sort of thing utterly grating in fantasy. I've always sympathized and felt more connected with the elves and other races in a fantasy story.

I guess I like stories that are less human centrism.

...or something like that. >_<

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
kyosai7 said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:

Not sure if serious...

(But for the record, even if I think that the elves are as banal/boring as everything else in Oblivion, they're awesome in Morrowind. Having a bunch of Dunmer calling you "outlander" or worse really adds to the atmosphere of that game.)
I am serious. I'd rather have the Elves be more integrated into society, and at the least, accepted or slightly dominant culturally...than hunted and oppressed like in The Witcher.
Why? I guess I'm confused as to exactly why you decide whether you like a game or not based on how fictional people treat other fictional people.
*shrug* I dunno because I've always liked elves and elven culture. I know they aren't real, but that doesn't mean, I have to like stories where their treated like crap. o_O
Well, isn't that the sign of good characterization and acting, where you actually feel sorry for how the pointy eared people were being treated? Did you feel good when you stepped in and helped them whenever possible? I think that's the sign of a good game right there, where it really does evoke such emotion.
Well yes true. However why is it lately they are always getting the sort end of the stick? Why is it wrong for me to kinda not 'like' that trend in fantasy story telling.

Sep 14, 2009
while i do love all the mods for oblivion, i absolutely hate how everyone who judges the game always uses the fallback "BUT there are so many mods!" excuse, that doesn't change the fact of comparison between the vanilla games, in which that's what most people are talking about originally, and if you aren't talking about VANILLA oblivion, then you better mention it in your post.

personally i'd grade oblivion and witcher on different kinds of levels for rpg's, oblivion has next to no story importance at all, while witcher is quite mysterious and amazing in that part, so comparing the two on different strengths isn't very..accurate.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Alucard788 said:
kyosai7 said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:

Not sure if serious...

Well yes true. However why is it lately they are always getting the sort end of the stick? Why is it wrong for me to kinda not 'like' that trend in fantasy story telling.
Truth be told, I wouldn't mind playing an RPG that twists this around. Let me be the human in a world where Elves and Dwarves and everything else look down on us because we aren't as good at mining, and are horrible at spellcasting.

I see the appeal of the worlds like Dragon Age and the Witcher, though, where we see Elves and other fantasy races subjugated like so, giving us a means to explore a few of the darker natures of humanity, getting a way from the "We all love each other! Except the bad dwarf race and the dark elves!" stuff. Although I hope this doesn't become a really bad trend, and stays the exception, rather than the rule.

Sep 14, 2009
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:

Not sure if serious...

Well, the fact that you're uncomfortable with how elves are treated in the world of the Witcher is intentional - it's supposed to make you feel uncomfortable. Do you have the same issue with Dragon Age?
I have a love/hate with Dragon Age due to my soft spot for Bioware. Dragon age didn't seem as bad as the Witcher, really in terms of there being at least a glimmer of hope, for the elves in that world, and the Dalish kicked ass.

However may I ask you. Why does it bug you so much that the treatment of elves bothers me in a game?
Because it doesn't make sense, TBH. I get that you might not like a game that features ethnic strife, but I don't get why a selling point for you is that a game gives a specific fictional race of people a specific social place in its fictional world.

Really I don't know what else I can say. That's my opinion on why I like...what I like.

actually ill agree with you, i do like the elven culture also, and seeing as how they are near always put down in every rpg ever, it is a little discouraging to play games with them put down like that, if/when a game has elves in equal or at least some kind of better value than average out there, i will definitely become alot more curious about the game.

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
Alucard788 said:
Hobonicus said:
Alucard788 said:

Just for the record, your preference sounds ridiculous to me too. Not in a "you're an idiot" way, just in a "how unusual, I've never heard that before" way.

Just out of curiosity (again, I'm not trying to antagonize you, I've just never seen this perspective before), will you not play other games that depict some sort of racism? And if you do, is it because the discriminatees aren't as interesting as elves?

I just can't wrap my head around being so into an entirely fictional race as to avoid a game that depicts them as a persecuted minority. Maybe you just relate really well to the general elven culture that seeing them wronged is disheartening? Though it seems to me like that'd make the game feel even more powerful, especially because you can choose to ally with them, in both games.

It's just always rubbed me the wrong way with fiction and games that marginalize elves. I've always found that most of those stores have a more "Rwar human males are the best." angle to them...and while I am a hman male I find that sort of thing utterly grating in fantasy. I've always sympathized and felt more connected with the elves and other races in a fantasy story.

Ah okay, so like developers are using elves to exploit a racism theme instead of respect them as a legitimate fantasy race? It's assumed that the player will naturally accept humans as the dominant species before even turning the game on much easier than they would accept persecution within their own race, so elves become less about their place in the world and more about the fantasy genre way to exhibit racism. Basically, they're used as tools to support a theme instead of explored as legitimate characters with a culture that's just as significant as the fantasy humans'.

If I soooorta got that right, then I understand you.

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:

Not sure if serious...

Well, the fact that you're uncomfortable with how elves are treated in the world of the Witcher is intentional - it's supposed to make you feel uncomfortable. Do you have the same issue with Dragon Age?
I have a love/hate with Dragon Age due to my soft spot for Bioware. Dragon age didn't seem as bad as the Witcher, really in terms of there being at least a glimmer of hope, for the elves in that world, and the Dalish kicked ass.

However may I ask you. Why does it bug you so much that the treatment of elves bothers me in a game?
Because it doesn't make sense, TBH. I get that you might not like a game that features ethnic strife, but I don't get why a selling point for you is that a game gives a specific fictional race of people a specific social place in its fictional world.

actually ill agree with you, i do like the elven culture also, and seeing as how they are near always put down in every rpg ever, it is a little discouraging to play games with them put down like that, if/when a game has elves in equal or at least some kind of better value than average out there, i will definitely become alot more curious about the game.
Aye. Also to elaborate I have always always felt sorry for elven men the most. It seems like equal or not elven men are either cannon fodder or on the sidelines...and every single elven female in existence wants to ride the human man train.

I know most of it is 'nerd fantasy' but really...it just gets so stale.

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
kyosai7 said:
Alucard788 said:
kyosai7 said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:

Not sure if serious...

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind playing an RPG that twists this around. Let me be the human in a world where Elves and Dwarves and everything else look down on us because we aren't as good at mining, and are horrible at spellcasting.

I see the appeal of the worlds like Dragon Age and the Witcher, though, where we see Elves and other fantasy races subjugated like so, giving us a means to explore a few of the darker natures of humanity, getting a way from the "We all love each other! Except the bad dwarf race and the dark elves!" stuff. Although I hope this doesn't become a really bad trend, and stays the exception, rather than the rule.
To me Dragon Age kind of pulled off the premise in a way that was interesting, and offered hope. I didn't get so much from The Witcher.

I know it's silly to care about a fictional races treatment in a story as I do but...I dunno I just do. Like how some pole don't like reading stories with orcs in them, or dragons, or even gnomes.

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
Hobonicus said:
Alucard788 said:
Hobonicus said:
Alucard788 said:

Ah okay, so like developers are using elves to exploit a racism theme instead of respect them as a legitimate fantasy race? It's assumed that the player will naturally accept humans as the dominant species before even turning the game on much easier than they would accept persecution within their own race, so elves become less about their place in the world and more about the fantasy genre way to exhibit racism. Basically, they're used as tools to support a theme instead of explored as legitimate characters with a culture that's just as significant as the fantasy humans'.

If I soooorta got that right, then I understand you.
Yes that as well! Like I said Dragon Age made the idea of oppressed elves interesting, but most of the time it's just not written very well or it's just a stage set for the big hero bagging a ton of female elves (can we stop that fantasy writers...please >_>)...and making them an analogy for racism is just...unneeded.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Witcher 1, in retrospect, was pretty terrible aside from the overarching story. It was painful to play. Oblivion remains my favorite game of all time, even though I know other games are technically better.

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
I liked The Witcher much more than Oblivion. Oblivion was dull as hell and needed mods to make it semi interesting which does not make a good game in my book.