Poll: Would you date a transgendered person?

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
There is an interesting medical condition called CAIS: Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome. People with this condition are classified as female at birth, they have normal female genitals and develop female secondary characteristics such as breasts, hips etc in a normal way during puberty. But these women do not menstruate, because instead of ovaries and a uterus they have testes (undescended in the abdomen) and an XY sex chromosome.

They are genetically male, but have a mutation that makes them completely insensitive to androgens (e.g. testosterone) so instead of developing male characteristics they develop female ones based on the estrogen produced by the male adrenal glans (all normal males produce estrogen, it's just that testosterone is the dominate hormone).

So aside from modern medical science, a woman with CAIS is indistinguishable from a genetic woman aside from the fact that she can't have children, which happens all the time to genetic women anyway. If we include modern medical science, then women with CAIS are indistinguishable from MTF transwomen.

Here's a link to read more. I find CAIS very relevant to the "would you date a trans" discussion because if they are indistinguishable from a genetic women, does it really matter?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androgen_insensitivity_syndrome

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Kinguendo said:
Thats the thing though... is it gay? Being gay is being attracted to men, but she would look like a woman so the attraction would be to female features and whatever personality type they are. So, is it?
I would say yes. I mean considering how overwhelmingly feminine an extremely large portion of homosexuals are yet they and their partners are still considered gay.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
isometry said:
There is an interesting medical condition called CAIS: Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome. People with this condition are classified as female at birth, they have normal female genitals and develop female secondary characteristics such as breasts, hips etc in a normal way during puberty. But these women do not menstruate, because instead of ovaries and a uterus they have testes (undescended in the abdomen) and an XY sex chromosome.
I saw a documentary with an example of CAIS (was about how it sometimes is difficult to tell gender on newborns(was very interesting)) she looked really beautiful.

Wish i remembered the name of the docu to throw it towards people that keep going on like your dna tells you what gender you are. Getting tired of that flawed argument since gender (and sex) aren't that black and white as they think it is.

OT: If there is mutual attraction i do not care. I mean it isn't like i am perfect either :)

Heaven's Guardian

Oct 22, 2011
Saladfork said:
This is one of those cases of "You want to be X, go right ahead, but it's in no way something I'd want to be a part of".
Pretty much exactly this. I don't see the point in stopping anyone, but I'll be damned if I'm going to think of them as anything other than what they were born as. By no means is this PC, but it creeps the hell out of me. Especially if someone were to hide it or not mention it, and you found out later. Dunno how I'd react, but I guarantee it would not be pleasant.

Chappy

May 17, 2010
Yeah I probably would, A person is the same person no matter if they are male, female or TG'd and well I don't know I grew up around quite a few TG'd friends so I guess I'm just more used to being around the LGBT community.

Besides I like to think that lust is gender specific, love is genderless but I'm a moron so ignore me. :)

As to is it gay? I watched a video by 'Hutch' on youtube (Some of you might know him for his CoD video's) And I think his definition fit well, It's not the things you do that make you gay but the things you feel, dating a guy wouldn't make you gay but wanting to sleep with guys would as it were.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
No. Im heterosexual. I think transgendered people do something like the operation to make themselves happy. And thats awesome. It really is. They can expect me to accept it. Its their right and their happyness and ill support them 100%. However i cannot ever view that person as their post op gender. Im happy they can feel happy in themselves. I think their rights should be the same rights as anyone else. I think persecution is unacceptable.

However i dont think you can change ones gender. I feel the same way as if i was born convinced i was a dolphin in a humans body, then had surgery to turn my arms into fins. I wouldnt be a dolphin. Id be happier but i wouldnt be a dolphin. The surgery is cosmetic. It changes nothing but looks. And while i appreciate and respect these people i wont view them as female. And as such ill be friends, best friends and bros but i dont think i can date them. I wouldnt feel comfortable.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
Pretty sad results on the poll, if not unexpected.

Well, I'm technically a hermaphrodite and I was married to a MTF transgendered person, so, there you go.

If you truly 'love' someone, what they are isn't going to matter. I loved her before I knew what crockery was in her cupboards and when I did know I didn't care. Why would I? She was what she was and I loved her for the person she was, not the thing. She was a gamer, a geek, a fetishist and a dancing fool with a great sense of humor and some sense of social propriety. I fell in love with those things, not her genitals. It's always seemed so ridiculously shallow to me that anyone would care about something so trivial.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Yeah, call me shallow or whatever, but I couldn't do it. I don't have a single problem with transgender people, if one of my friends was one I would fully support them, but getting romantically involved wouldn't feel right. I would always feel like they're still male (probably because they technically are).

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Monkeyman O said:
Kinguendo said:
Thats the thing though... is it gay? Being gay is being attracted to men, but she would look like a woman so the attraction would be to female features and whatever personality type they are. So, is it?
I would say yes. I mean considering how overwhelmingly feminine an extremely large portion of homosexuals are yet they and their partners are still considered gay.
Thats... not relevent to what I said. I said you are attracted to female features, NOT feminine behaviours(though that plays a part). Initial attraction is visual, unless you are blind or dating over the internet(in which case it could easily be a guy).

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
No way in Hell! ...Sorry.

I'm desperate, but Im not that desperate.

I'm not a fan of cosmetic surgery to begin with, even if it's because you feel like a woman in a man's body or a man in a woman's body. People are allowed to mutilate their body however they wish, but you'll forgive me if I'm not attracted to it.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
Yes or no? Just curious. Comment to explain your reasoning if you feel the need. It's a fairly gay friendly site, but even gay friendly communities do tend to be a transphobic.

For the purposes of the poll, you can assume said transgendered person is passable, and has all the appropriate parts (post-op).
Your poll is lacking, but I realize that part of that is the limitations of the Escapist polls, so I'll vote as close as I can and answer in full here.

I am female. I would date FTM or MTF. And in fact have.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I would date a pre-op, post-op and a trap.
Guess that answers that, next question.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I would not date someone whose skewed perception of gender prompted them to take hormones and undergo risky and expensive surgery. I just don't respect that kind of thing. Having said that, I wouldn't mind dating someone of the same sex as me.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Nope, because I just don't like men. Yes, I know they appear to be women, sometimes in many assets, but in the end they're still men; they have the genes of a man, started out with the reproductive organs of a man and can't get babies as a result.

And no I don't think that's shallow. I don't count not being gay as being shallow. And see it like this; more transgenders for everyone else!