Poll: Would you date a transgendered person?

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
I'm Bisexual anyway, why would that even matter to me?
If I have romantic feelings for someone and I find them attractive I'll date them, male, female, and everything in-between.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Well, there's 2 different ways it could play out.

1) I know about it before I get involved. In this case, the answer is flat out no. I have nothing against transgendered folks, it's just not something I could comfortably ignore. It'd always niggle at the back of my head, and I have absolutely no desire to deal with it.

2) I find out about it afterwards. In this case, it's hard for me to say. I'd like to think that if it was a serious relationship, I'd be willing to deal with it, but something tells me the combination of the feelings of betrayal for not telling me and the squickiness of it all would cause me to terminate the relationship right then and there. I honestly can't say for sure without being in that situation though, so I dunno.

It's not terribly fair, but that's how it's likely to play out.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Yeah but it depends on the person. If i'm attracted to you i'm attacted to you, if not i'm not. As long as we both like each other the rest doesn't really matter.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Mortai Gravesend said:
Yes, because when you beat people to the ground for being trans and doing something you don't like being them to the ground can't possibly be considered a hate crime. Oh wait, it kinda is.

You do know that there's a difference between calling someone a bigot for not being in a certain group and for saying they'd beat someone to the ground, right? Maybe you don't notice it though. But hey, just so you know, there is a difference.

Just like mentioning that you're being bigoted when you said you'd beat someone to the ground isn't being a whiny minority. Btw in civilized places beating people to the ground isn't what we generally call 'when you disagree with them'.
Yeah, because getting into a relationship with you and waiting until after you have already been physically intimate to tell you can soo just be written off as "doing something you don't like" huh...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Nope, they'd still have a bloke's body, although I'll happily consider them women, and vice versa.

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
Kendarik said:
I don't think I could ever look at them and REALLY see any post op as "their new gender". They will always be victims of a mental illness and medical misconduct to me. As such I will treat them with respect and I will be the first to support them in obtaining equal rights and good treatment, but they will never really be their new gender in my mind.
So you don't support them then? This is the very first decision everybody really needs to make when dealing with another human being - the moment you decide they will NEVER be their new gender in your mind, you have undermined their rights. That's like saying you have decided that they will NEVER be a human being in your mind. You don't have to be dating someone to make this decision - it is common courtesy.

You won't know if someone is pre-op or post-op until they tell you or you are close enough to get intimate with them, but you will be able to determine what gender they are and how they should be treated long before that. If your sense of what gender a person is is based on the status of their genitalia, then you are sadly mistaken, because unless you make the habit of wandering naked, this isn't something people normally see.

There are other gender cues, and these gender cues reinforce gender identity. If in doubt, go for the gender cues in the way people are dressed, and other conscious, deliberate choices they are making to reinforce those gender cues. These are simple things that, while they often come across as stereotypical, and trying too hard, are usually done for a reason - just like any other identity cue.

If ANYBODY feels they have the right to decide that someone else will NEVER be something, then perhaps they should be the ones diagnosed with the mental illness. Because they are obviously lacking in the courtesy and empathy required to be a human being, and maybe they should understand and experience what it is like to be treated as if they will NEVER be something that they care about, as much as they desire it. To never be treated as a reasonable person that has the right to share opinions in public on the state of others should suffice in most cases.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
I could get emotionally close to them but probably would never get into intimate relations with them, as in more than friends but less than friends with benefits. Nothing against them it is just a mindset that is really deeply embedded in me. Now lets say in 10-20 years if I had a kid that was pursuing a transgender I would be totally fine with it.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Monkeyman O said:
Kinguendo said:
Thats... not relevent to what I said. I said you are attracted to female features, NOT feminine behaviours(though that plays a part). Initial attraction is visual, unless you are blind or dating over the internet(in which case it could easily be a guy).
I never mentioned behaviour. Some of them look like chicks[footnote]Or close enough to fool those with weak vision.[/footnote] yet are still considered gay. Look up Chris Crocker for example. I will admit its a fuzzy issue but I stick to my position.
"I mean considering how overwhelmingly feminine an extremely large portion of homosexuals are" - Thats what you said, an extremely large portion... thats why I thought you were talking about behaviour rather than people in drag which is in no way a quality exclusely held by "homosexuals" or even a large portion of them considering Lesbians are homosexuals too and dressing as a woman is kinda... what they do every day.

As I said, being gay is being attracted to features of the same sex... do gay men find women sexually attractive? Do gay women find men sexually attractive?

jayzz911

Nov 9, 2010
Da_Vane said:
Kendarik said:
I don't think I could ever look at them and REALLY see any post op as "their new gender". They will always be victims of a mental illness and medical misconduct to me. As such I will treat them with respect and I will be the first to support them in obtaining equal rights and good treatment, but they will never really be their new gender in my mind.
So you don't support them then? This is the very first decision everybody really needs to make when dealing with another human being - the moment you decide they will NEVER be their new gender in your mind, you have undermined their rights. That's like saying you have decided that they will NEVER be a human being in your mind. You don't have to be dating someone to make this decision - it is common courtesy.
I see where your coming from, but I don't agree. I'm all for gay rights aswell as transgendered ones but that doesnt mean I have to date them or change my personal opinion when referring to someone's gender. I agree that saying they have a mental illness is a bit overly harsh, but that doesn't mean you have to accept a transgendered as the gender they are becoming. Some people cannot get past the definition of a man or a woman, and like it or not, that's the way it will always be.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I said no because in my mind they would still be a boy in some respect.

I am a heterosexual, so I do not date boys.