Poll: Would you date a transgendered person?

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
*sips on her Dr Pepper*

Cool. There's a fite just like I predicted. Now you just need to post for 4 more pages and my ego will get a boost for being totally right about how this thread was going to turn out. XD

Oh yeah, and I'm totally on the side of the people who think TG's are alright and wouldn't mind dating them. As for the people who say it's immoral, a disease, or whatever, I find that sad since they probably have absolutely no idea what hating yourself to the core because your gender doesn't fit your body actually feels like. I know I said this sort of thing already, but... I gotta stay on topic somehow! :p

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Per or Post Op?
I makes a big difference.

I Don't personally think I would, But I don't know the only transgender person I know I've known for almost ten years now and I'd think that would be little weird.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Kasurami said:
I am sick, sick of this notion that for someone to not want to date a transgendered individual they are automatically transphobic. It is a pathetically thin argument that doesn't take into account any personal feelings, preferences or even sexuality of anyone other than the transgendered individual, which is just wrong.
Yeah I...didn't mean to imply that. I can see why it reads like I did, though. Sorry about that.

Yureina said:
*sips on her Dr Pepper*

Cool. There's a fite just like I predicted. Now you just need to post for 4 more pages and my ego will get a boost for being totally right about how this thread was going to turn out. XD
You were SO right. It went totally off the rails around page 3. I feel terrible!

MartianWarMachine

Neon-pink cyber-kitty
Dec 10, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
Kasurami said:
I am sick, sick of this notion that for someone to not want to date a transgendered individual they are automatically transphobic. It is a pathetically thin argument that doesn't take into account any personal feelings, preferences or even sexuality of anyone other than the transgendered individual, which is just wrong.
Yeah I...didn't mean to imply that. I can see why it reads like I did, though. Sorry about that.

Yureina said:
*sips on her Dr Pepper*

You were SO right. It went totally off the rails around page 3. I feel terrible!
Don't, this thread was doomed to be a battleground of fire, and someone was going to make it sooner or later =3

...I don't know what I'm talking about, maybe I'll regret this in the morning. Good night!

Chanel Tompkins

Nov 8, 2011
ANImaniac89 said:
Per or Post Op?
I makes a big difference.

I Don't personally think I would, But I don't know the only transgender person I know I've known for almost ten years now and I'd think that would be little weird.
The OP specified post-op.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
It's a bit odd, but I think I would be generally willing to date a FtM but generally unwilling to date a MtF.

Of relevancy: I am a bisexual male.[sup]1[/sup]

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[sup]1[/sup] Yes, that does make me an endangered species.[sup]2[/sup]
[sup]2[/sup]Ladies[sup]3[/sup]
[sup]3[/sup][small][small]gents too[/small][/small]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Melanie McGreevey said:
Oh i know! I would imagine before too long the name will be changed AGAIN, and disorder will be removed, or altered.
The DSM is pretty useless anyway. A lot of the revisions proposed for DSM V are really shifting it further into the realm of "not really a useful diagnostic tool."

Personally, I have no real problems with the term "Gender Identity Disorder," as long as they don't try to "cure" people in the fashion they have tried to "cure teh ghey" with prayer, gender roles, and pseudo-science.

Regnes said:
No, I don't care what gender a person believes they are, you are as you appear to be, not as you think you are.

A guy feels like he's a woman, sorry bro, you're not a woman, you're just gay. Same thing for women, they're lesbians, not men.
Sexuality=/=gender identity. Sorry, bro, but "feeling like you're a woman" does not equate to homosexuality. Homosexuality relies on a rather simple test: Are you attracted to the same sex? Since a MTF transsexual (for example) does not have to be attracted to men, the equation falls apart there.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
I've got no problem with the idea. When I was playing Catherine, I was with my brother and I said that I'd rather go for Erica (and I knew at that point that she was transgender) if I had to choose between the three. No, I don't remember how our discussion went that way.

Dating is very rare for me anyway as I very probably have Schizoid Personality Disorder, (A lack of desire for social interaction. I've never had a girlfriend or even a date and I'm 16. I'm also fine with it) meaning that I don't ever really want to date anyone as I never get close enough to anyone to do so, nor want to.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Melanie McGreevey said:
What if a trans woman was only attracted to women? still a gay man, or does she become a hetero man? confusing indeed.
Don't be silly. Why would any hetero man think he was a woman?

>.>

(Kidding, please don't kill me)

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
I'm desperately lonely. haha.

I don't see much of a problem with it though, I suppose I might feel different when faced with the actual situation. But from my comfy chair I don't think it'd make a difference, assuming I was interested in this person in all the usual ways as well.

VoEC

Dec 10, 2010
Jester Lord said:
Please do not take the sometimes abrasive and even ignorant statements of a few to represent the whole. The escapist is by and large populated by mostly tolerant, kind and open-minded people. And you'll be fine at a university if you just find the right people (cliche crap yes but it is very true).
Don't worry, I won't. There are mostly really fine people around here, thats why I like The Escapist so much (Also because there are so many people here that are just as fubar as me (^_^) ).

But back on topic:
Of course I am only speaking from my own experience and out of my own situation but I would like to clear up something for those who think trans people are man who want to become woman or vice versa (and therefore will always be man or v.v.).
That is not the case, they are in fact born in the wrong body. They are psychical (gender) women/men who were born with the wrong parts (sex). I see it as a sort of birth defect.
I know that it is probably really hard to understand for someone who is not in such a situation but please don't judge people on a fact they had no influence on.
Also to those who believe in a binary gender: What about people who are intersex (two sexes). What gender do they belong in? You see, it isn't that easy.

I just can not wrap my head around why people would restrict their feelings and love (or, how it seems to be the case with some here, them just getting their freak on) on so superficial things such as single physical attributes. But that is just me.

Also this:
Yureina said:
I find that sad since they probably have absolutely no idea what hating yourself to the core because your gender doesn't fit your body actually feels like.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
No. I wouldn't. Sorry, but the "I'm a ______ trapped in a ______'s body" thing is just really weird to me. Don't get me wrong, I have not problem being friends or anything with anyone, no matter their situation. But to take it as far as dating, I could never bring myself to do it.

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
I respect the opinions of everyone on here, however I view this in the same light as Creationism. Please don't say it's "factual" that a person is "born in the wrong body". There is no science that proves the case for transgendered individuals claiming I'm a x in y body. None. No empirical facts, no note worthy studies, no hard, honest, scientific discourse. The same scientists who claim science backs this up are the same people who claimed 200 years ago that the world was flat, leeches cure diseases, dragons exist, and a 400 year old zombie Jewish male died on a cross for all man kind. I wonder what "science" will proclaim in the next century.

I have no, NO, problem with you chopping off body parts, adding new ones, changing you name from Susannah to Shaun, and taking hormone injections. I have no problem if you go out and sleep with anyone you want to, granted you do it safely. I have NO problem if you want a society that tolerates these types of choices. Get married, life together, sleep together, go nuts. But don't claim there is evidence to support x person was born in the wrong body. Because it's all about FEELING. And FEELINGS don't belong in science.

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
Casual Shinji said:
Da_Vane said:
Mad World said:
No. In my opinion, if you were born a man, you will always be a man. Same for women.
Ooooh. Ooooh. Ooooh. Can I try and be smart and witty here? :p

Everyone is also born with a complete lack of knowledge too. If your opinion was correct, then everyone would always be clueless and stupid. Instead, it's just a choice that some decide to make.

Yeah, that was me blowing off some steam and cracking wise - but seriously, why are there so many people that are so determined to be set in their ways.

It's not just about denying the opinions of those who don't get it, but the fact that they seem to have deliberately decided that they never want to get it.

Well, I am about to get very crude here, but as I have stated to people before:

"If you want to define people by their genitalia, then that makes all men dicks, and all women c**ts."

I feel very sorry for those that wish to view life in that fashion, but I will warn people - in that case, I am a c**t. Deal with it.
If you really think this, why aren't you also getting this pissed off at transexuals; Shouldn't they then also not care about their gender? You know, the very reason they're having a sex change.

From your posts you seem to demand suggest that men and women should not be labeled by their gender, but then get pissed off when other people don't label a transexual by their gender of choice.

So in your words; Only transexuals are allowed to care about their gender and everybody else needs to shut the fuck up.
Who's pissed off?

Firstly, hands up anybody who actually knows the difference between sex and gender? Sex is based on the physical sexual characteristics of a person, and this is where the genitalia comes into play. However, gender is an entirely sociologicial contruct based on percieved perceptions on how sexes are supposed to behave. There is the very common misconception in society that these are the same thing, when they are not.

Transgendered individuals are an umbrella term for those who have changed gender roles - they don't even need hormones or surgery to do that. They don't even need to change their name. It's a sociological construct, because, we as a society have decided that men do things and women do things. It's patterns of behaviour, identity markers, and other social constructs that mark what being a man or a woman is in society. We enforce this behaviour from a very early age in childhood, from as young a four, but it is entirely enforced by society and completely psychological.

Transsexuals are those who take the step to change their sexual characteristics to match their chosen gender. The main reasons for this is because by doing so, they find it easier to pass in society and live a normal life. Many put the focus on how transsexuals don't feel right in their bodies, but who do think makes the majority of them feel this way in the first place? Who do you think makes transsexuals realise they feel out of place, makes them unable to form relationships, and subject to the other aspects of gender dysphoria?

Society makes transsexuals what they are today, because it makes the process a trial and forces them through extreme anxiety to deal with an ignorant society that really doesn't have a clue.

In fact, quite a few of the people here who seem to take opposition view points really don't have a clue - and are really lacking in human empathy, if not intelligence. It seems people are all too keen to fight for their own rights, but don't actually care about the fact that other people have those rights too.

Now, I ask this - what part of accepting a person's chosen gender undermines another person's gender identity? Does it make someone less of a man or less of a woman to accept a transgendered man or woman as a man or woman? You don't need to know the state of their genitals - their gender identity will be plastered in everything they say and do, in the clothes they wear, the actions they take, and words they use. You can treat people as a gendered person without even knowing their sex.

But, so many people grow up taking their gender identity for granted, and feel challenged by the fact that people have the ability to change something so fundamental to improve their own lives for the better, when they cannot. That's what the real issue is usually about. It's usually because they are suddenly faced with having to ask difficult questions and think about things they wouldn't normally think about, that they have taken for granted and haven't experienced outside of prejudice and stereotypes from the media, and feel challenged. It undermines their own identity, because it makes them question things they've never had to question before.

Unfortunately, because most people are so arrogant and egotistical, they would rather act indignant at the idea of being questioned, even if it is only within their own heads, dealing with their own insecurity and their own inferiority complexes, than just shrug it off, realise that everyone is human, that everyone is exactly the same as them, and reinforce their own identity so that they know they do not have to take it for granted.

People are people - people are strange, and most of all, they are hypocritical. It's a very complex and diverse world out there, and the ignorant really need to go out and get an education.

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, I am irreverent, not disrespectful. Everybody has the right to say what he or she thinks, but that doesn't mean I am not going to treat you like an idiot if I think your opinion is stupid. If it's any consolation, I don't expect anyone to treat me any different, and I don't give myself any slack either.

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
Regnes said:
No, I don't care what gender a person believes they are, you are as you appear to be, not as you think you are.

A guy feels like he's a woman, sorry bro, you're not a woman, you're just gay. Same thing for women, they're lesbians, not men.
Now this is a very interesting statistic for you all. Transphobia is actually inversely proportional to homophobia. This is largely because of how we, as a society define gender behaviour. We still exist is a heteronormative society, so the general idea is that is someone likes to sleep with guys, then they are female.

This actually results in a social power struggle between heterosexual MtF transsexuals who assert that they are females in a male body, compared to homosexual males. Onlookers, who are largely clueless, and basically define the group loosely as "effeminate men that like to sleep with men" aren't able to tell the difference.

This is where statements like "sorry bro, you are just gay" are completely ignorant, and verging on bigotry. Few people have the experience to make that sort of judgement and override someone's identity like that. It's something people feel they have the right to do all the time, however, particularly online, because they have a lack of respect. This is asking or querying whether or not they might actually just be gay, but outright asserting and overruling their own identities with an individual's ill formed opinions.

God forbid that there is a MtF transsexual that actually likes to sleep with women, because that just throws everybody's preconceptions out of the window, and then everyone has to cry and go home because all of their ignorant stereotypes end up broken and need to be rebuilt from scratch.