Poll: Would you ever burn a book?

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
L.Ron Hubbard's battlefield earth series. I read them all. All 8(or so) books in the series. It was like watching a train-wreck, then becoming part of it.

Now whenever I read a really bad book I compare it to that.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Joseph Valdez said:
And if so why?
me and my brother actually did..I think it is "1000 and 1 cool jokes" we thourght it was horribly unfunny and were doing a service to humanity

masher

Jul 20, 2009
I value books in general too much to destroy them, no matter how much I detest the subject.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
If there was probale reason for it, No heating, no burning material out would come the books. But that would only be after everything elce is done.
I am sure there are other reasons.

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
No, no way, no how, under no circumstances. If I had the only existing copy of the Necronomicon, and to read it would summon Cthulhu and cause the end of the world, I wouldn't burn it. If I was freezing to death, I'd burn my clothes before I'd burn a book.

I'm a little weird.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
CrazyMedic said:
Woodsey said:
I don't know, would you ever break a ruler?

[sub][sub]I don't get it....[/sub][/sub]
it is the idea of destorying knowledge not the act of just destorying a random object like Fahrenheit 451.

OT: no, no matter what knowledge is sarcred.
Well then the question's stupid. I could easily bring myself to burn lots of books. I could probably even bring myself to burn books that "matter" considering we have the internet.

mornal

Aug 19, 2009
I've burnt one book in my life. I was young and the book itself freaked me out so much I just wanted to get rid of it.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Probably if there was sex involved and my life turned into a hillarious sit-com and I was dating a woman who turned out to be a neo-Nazi. But I'd feel really bad about it.

Faux Furry

Apr 19, 2011
I'd most likely only burn a book which I myself have written to prevent it's secrets from harming the world (or just because I didn't like it very much and wouldn't want it released posthumously, putting an L in the W/L columns).

Now that I think about it, if I could write a Necronomicon or other tome of eldritch lore, wouldn't I owe it to the world to share that dread knowledge even if it causes everyone to go mad from the realization of it? It might even make Harold Camping's day, someday. Can such books even burn? Wouldn't they be strengthened by the warm caress of the flames upon their pulsating covers?

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Yes, too start a fire after the world ends. Of course, I would use the blank pages first, then copyright pages. Hopefully, I will have found better kindling before I get to the good part.

I did burn a notebook of mine that had sensitive information about people I talked too, but that was just to protect their privacy. You can always reconstruct shredded documents, but you can not unburn paper.

Other then that I would do all I could to save books. (except twilight, BURN THEM ALL. Only because those 'books' spawned a race of rabid Vampire lovers who are plotting to takeover the world.)

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
Sure. if I got bored or something and it was a book I didn't intend to ever read.

Or if I really wanted to mess with someone by burning a copy of their holy book, but that would take a lot more effort that I'm prepared to put into trolling.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Regiment said:
No, no way, no how, under no circumstances. If I had the only existing copy of the Necronomicon, and to read it would summon Cthulhu and cause the end of the world, I wouldn't burn it. If I was freezing to death, I'd burn my clothes before I'd burn a book.

I'm a little weird.
That is very noble of you. My response was part (mostly) joke. But yours is very noble.

I am worried that if (or when) the world ends, that our knowledge would go with it, which might very well be worse then if humanity was destroyed, because if our knowledge is found by the next sentient life-forms then we are not truly gone.

PS: No, I do not think the world will end on May 21, 2011. Or December, whatever, 2012. But I do like being prepared for all occurrences. Saving our sacred and non-sacred knowledge is key to that goal. Finding a good hiding place, that is hard.

FortheLegion

Dec 16, 2008
No. I have come close to burning the oh so very flammable looking books but I just couldn't bring myself to burn even the worst of books. There's just something wrong with burning them.

Blazingdragoon04

May 22, 2009
Never for the pleasure of destroying literature/ideas, I find that ignortant.

Now if the book was covered in spiders, I would consider the book lost and in need of being purged...