Poll: Would you ever burn a book?

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
yes, i would. i would use it for kindling. i nearly did when i was camping during summer: my friends and i (we were all in the Scouts) had useless jotters, so we thought taking them along in case we needed them (the actual campfire was to big to go near, so more fuel would have been a bad idea).
i wouldnt burn a religious book unless it was the only way to survive. never a timeless classic like Lord of the Rings, or one that had i had a connection with, such as one that i wrote (even just a small part) or a childhood favourite book.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
Would I burn a mass-produced school textbook that I have bought and own, and has been a source of great angish suring the time i was forced to read it?

Yes.

Otherwise, I find book-burning to be an affront to humanity itself, as they represent the knowledge we have gathered and the limitless imagination we possess.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
When it comes to staying warm? You bet I will, starting with textbooks to doubt.

For the sake of just burning a book symbolically? No, not ever. John Milton was a little preachy when he said this, but it is one of my more favorite quotes of the issue.

"For books are not absolutely dead things, but do contain a potency of life in them to be as active as that soul was whose progeny they are; nay, they do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them. Unless wariness be used, as good almost kill a man as kill a good book. Who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye." -John Milton

Warned you it was preachy, but it gets the point across.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Already did.

It was a old novel called the Kyrtonite kid and After a while of reading that awful shit, I thought in eed to be more lively.

So I sat that ***** on fir and lit a cig. Most badass thng I did ever.

Paperboy
Dec 2, 2009
When I finished highschool I burned my latin textbook.

fuck latin.

srsly.

Zhalath

Mar 19, 2009
I would only burn a book based on the necessity of fire, not the content of the book.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
Remember the movie The Day After Tomorrow?

Pretty much this, when shit gets really fucking cold anything becomes fair game for fire material. Not tryin to sound like a neo-nazi or anything, but I'd burn books if we had no gas or timber or whatever.

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
Why not? If it's a shitty book or one I don't care about, and I need a fire for whatever reason, may as well burn it. I honestly don't see the issue here. I'm guessing the question stems from that quote "he who destroys a good book kills reason itself", but I don't think the person who originally said that took mass production into account. Destroying a book in whatever way is not in any way different than destroying any other object in any way. It's not like ancient knowledge will be forever lost, excepting a very small number of books none of us will ever get their hands on anyway.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
"To destroy a good book is to destroy reason itself." Milton.

In the sense that it shouldn't exist? No.
If I were freezing to death? Twilight goes first.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I thought about this before posting and i thought i'd have no problem burning shite like twilight but then i thought no i couldn't even burn that.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
There are only 2 books i would ever burn. Those are Great Expectations and The Old Man and the Sea. <---Those 2 books are the most boring, uneventful pieces of crap i have ever read, and i only read 20 pages of Great Expectations!