Poll: Would you use Genetic Manipulation as a Body Modification?

raklin

Mar 26, 2011
In John Ringo's book series, The Council Wars, this was all quite common up to the events of the first book (There will be dragons, iirc). Memory serves, the main character of the series is rather genetically screwed up because of his ancestor's genetic mods, and can hardly take care of himself, until he finds an experimental treatment.

Seems to me that its a logical issue, if one were to start splicing together DNA on a wide spread scale - all that junk DNA can't possibly be doing you any good.

Darh Abdomino

Sep 20, 2010
I'd go with improving the stress tolerance of my bones, so I can access the full power of my muscles, as well as eye-sight that doesn't suck, decreasing my need for sleep, and improving my reaction time from "pretty good" to "oh-my-god-that-was-unnatural". I'd also look into how much I could alter my brain chemistry to improve my visualization, natural focus, and technical talent. Oh, see about turning my pupils and irises to red, just to completely screw with whoever I was talking to.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I'm not afraid to be a hypocrite on this one. Genetic modification should not be pursued by science in the current world. Our species is completely unequipped to deal with this, and there are way too many slippery slopes that we are dancing on with every single experiment done in this field today. That said, I would genetically modify myself without hesitation given the chance. I have a few flaws I wouldn't mind a little genetic help ironing out. So there, that's my opinion on the subject.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Eventidal said:
Really heavy stuff, actually. I think transhumanism is going to end up being a really big topic of debate over the next few decades. (not to say it isn't already)
I'm for transhumanism. humans are animals. i started researching animal and human behavior, and both group show the behavior of the other, and even habits. people just reject or deny the fact, as they try to separate humans and animals.

Blobpie said:
I'd want something useful, not different eyes.
sorry, it's hard to find visuals of genetic manipulation that isn't visible. the eye change one was the most common visible example. it's not easy to find a picture depicting a faster metabolism or stronger bones, are removing genetic defects.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Sure thing.

Off the top of my head, I'd like:

A ca's ability to almost instantly go from night to day vision. Maybe mix it with some hawk DNA for better distance vision too.

Chimp muscle density.

Something in a more efficient lung (I think ours only get like 15% of the oxygen in a breath - swimming would be a lot more fun with a greater time of being under.

Faster wound regeneration a la starfish.

Slower metabolism... hmm (quick google) the bowhead whale lives to over 200 and is also a mammal, so might not be that difficult to cross over DNA.

Better sense of smell

Possibly wings, though flight would require some pretty major changes in bone density and the like to get my weight low enough for it to be feasible. Would far rather have all of the above than flight.

Though in your sci-fi setting, I guess I could switch back and forth.

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
Yeah...I would probably modify things like...

Ears: Change them to be more canine-like, with the ability to swivel, and of course the enhanced ability of hearing.

Eyes: Improve the range of light levels they can see. Not quite low-light vision, but enough for me to be able to see in darker areas easier.

Mouth: Straighten my fucking teeth out. :\

Body: Improve my bone and muscle structure for greater speed and endurance

And I would have a wolf tail. Fluffy wolf tail. <3

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
CulixCupric said:
Eventidal said:
Really heavy stuff, actually. I think transhumanism is going to end up being a really big topic of debate over the next few decades. (not to say it isn't already)
I'm for transhumanism. humans are animals. i started researching animal and human behavior, and both group show the behavior of the other, and even habits. people just reject or deny the fact, as they try to separate humans and animals.

Blobpie said:
I'd want something useful, not different eyes.
sorry, it's hard to find visuals of genetic manipulation that isn't visible. the eye change one was the most common visible example. it's not easy to find a picture depicting a faster metabolism or stronger bones, are removing genetic defects.
Humans have this thing for superiority. I personally find us to be quite inferior, since we are so poorly adapted/evolved. We have to change everything around us just to survive, and we all take that for granted. I think animals deserve a lot more respect than we give them. I'm not saying we should be bowing to the grizzly bear overlords or treating our pets with the same quality food and housing we get or something, but that we shouldn't be so high and mighty about ourselves. We shouldn't think of animals' lives as inconsequential to us. We should be aware of just how low on the food chain we really are.

But for the topic, if I were you I'd take down most of the pics. I think elf ears, cat girl and crazy eyes are enough to get the idea across. The others, you should just mention in text form. Stuff like better metabolism or bones aren't visible but they may well be a reality of this sort of thing. Unlike the pictures posted they could be a lot more useful in a realistic way. :)

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Eventidal said:
Humans have this thing for superiority. I personally find us to be quite inferior, since we are so poorly adapted/evolved. We have to change everything around us just to survive, and we all take that for granted. I think animals deserve a lot more respect than we give them. I'm not saying we should be bowing to the grizzly bear overlords or treating our pets with the same quality food and housing we get or something, but that we shouldn't be so high and mighty about ourselves. We shouldn't think of animals' lives as inconsequential to us. We should be aware of just how low on the food chain we really are.

But for the topic, if I were you I'd take down most of the pics. I think elf ears, cat girl and crazy eyes are enough to get the idea across. The others, you should just mention in text form. Stuff like better metabolism or bones aren't visible but they may well be a reality of this sort of thing. Unlike the pictures posted they could be a lot more useful in a realistic way. :)
yeah, humans have only survived so long because of technology, and other animals can, and do make tools, they just don't need them as much as we do. otters, birds, monkeys, elephants and dolphins use tools.

10 animals that use tools: http://www.livescience.com/9761-10-animals-tools.html

i think it would be cool if someone went werewolf, bought a cabin, moved into the woods, and lived of the land naturally, as a hunter. my favorite animals are otters, btw.

PUR3_GAM3R33

May 23, 2009
I'm not to keen on the "passing on to my kids" thing.but then again they could use the same method to change whatever they want so I guess it isn't too bad.

I would like pink colored eyes and 6 angelic/avian wings so I could fly among a ton of other things that will help me.

also can this thing grant super powers? cause if so,I'm definitely going to be their #1 costumer. :D

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
If I could make my natural hair colour black with a red streak so I don't have to constantly get my roots done, absolutely!

I have no desire for kids so the whole grand children's grand children means nothing to me :p

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
as long as it still makes a person genetically and sexually comparable to the rest of humanity id be using that shit like there is no tomorrow, plus if we had space travel and the ability to grow children out side the womb id be creating entire civilizations of altered people.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
no offense..but I imagine if this were possible the furries would have a feild day.....

I would get purple eyes...because i like saints row :p

oh wait..would this mean thease things are pased onto your children?

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Vault101 said:
no offense..but I imagine if this were possible the furries would have a feild day.....

I would get purple eyes...because i like saints row :p

oh wait..would this mean thease things are pased onto your children?
yeah, your kids would have your alterations, but could have them removed, and even get their own. i also want purple eyes, but not because of saints row, but because purple is my favorite color. i don't like saints row/gta.

Extravagance

Mar 23, 2011
First off, and this may of already been pointed out, teeth-filling and caps are already a body mod. It's easy to get pointy teeth. You can also get yours ears pointed and if you go for plugs (the big hoop mods in the earlobe), the only way to fix it is by getting your lobe snipped and stitched up. Effectivly, elf ears are already possible. I probably wouldn't get the eye stuff, unless it's to change general colour. Lenses are good for anything else.

I'd probably genetically point my ears, because that's easily hideable and not really a big problem. Things like fangs..eh, not too bothered,depends on how many jaw problems I/my kids would get. Yes, illiminate all the innate health problems, and probably some vague upgrades. But nothing vastly technological.

pln9fos

Mar 17, 2010
If it meant I could get a Raidramon tail (a good five or six feet long), then I would do it without question =P