Poll: Your opinion on School Uniforms.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
as has been stated uniforms can reinforce the feeling of being in a unit, which is important in an age-group that is generally trying to figure out what kind of individual they want to be/become.

and conformity as boring as it is will allow personalities to be judged more easily than clothes, and might help against possible bullying, although that is not guaranteed

finally it also creates an atmosphere of discipline, something that was severely lacking when i went to school, most young people do not appreciate being educated and how seriously it will effect their future, at least that's how it was in my school and i believe a more serious and disciplined atmosphere might have gotten most of the kids to wise up... myself included, disruptive behavior has a tendency to spread and be emulated much easier than "good" behavior.

i'm not saying that uniforms would solve everything, but there is a reason every military in the world uses uniforms.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
My absolute opinion on uniforms is this: If a school is going into a uniform standard, BUY/USE PROPER UNIFORMS, by which I mean, something that would be worn that is unique from any street clothes that one would have, and would probably bare the symbol of the school itself. Here are two examples I've seen where uniforms are just plain dumb.

My middle school just had a t-shirt with the school logo on it, required to be tucked in at all times, policy. This is dumb and in hindsight it sounded more like some idiotic money grab than a policy (since each shirt was like 10 bucks give or take 2, for a school week set you'd be paying 50 dollars for shirts!) No policy on pants, low policy on hats, barely a policy on girl's skirt length, yeah nice standard you're setting to reign in that rebellious youth there.

An elementary school in my area requires the kids to wear blue shirts and khaki pants.... this would be okay if it wasn't exactly the SAME uniform as anyone who works at Wal-mart these days, as if they dropped the metaphor of 'preparing students for life' instead right out saying 'hey Wal-mart here is you next generation right here!' That's the only part that really bugs me about this one, but since the kids have no clue about that sort of thing, I guess it could slide.

edit: Midwest of the US if you're curious

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Knusper said:
I'm in the sixth form in the UK, which requires a suit but no specific uniform. I like it because of reasons already listed but you also have the opportunity to wear something that fits you (both physically and stylistically), and not the silly wide blazers they make children wear even if they are way too big for them.
My sixth form was at a Grammar School, in England, so we had to wear the same uniform as the rest of the school (which I also attended up to GCSE as well), but we got to wear a nicer green tie instead of the crappy green/red/yellow striped one everyone else wore.

I hate uniforms and such, for the record. Except in a pervy sense, of course. Thing is, I had to wear uniform at every school I went to (two primary schools, one secondary), then although I was able to wear whatever I wanted at university I had to wear a uniform at work, while working for Waitrose. I start a new job tomorrow wear I have to wear a shirt and tie, proper smart wear, and I just feel as if I've spent my entire life in a suit or uniform of some kind. I wish I was doing a job where I could get away with jeans and a smart top, something smart casual that I'd wear anyway, and have done with it, but sadly that's not the case for me... :(

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
No. Absolutely. And I did go to several schools that required it.

First of all, let me just state that a 'basic' uniform is fine. This being black 'classy looking' trousers and a polo shirt. That kind of uniform is absolutely fine and causes no problems.

However, most of the schools I went to required you to wear black trousers, black shoes, a black blazer and black tie with a few coloured stripes, I think you understand that this can get a bit problematic in the summer when it's hot enough as it is without you being a walking black hole.

And of course you might say that "Well, teachers will just let you take the blazer off on hot days..." Nope. In year 9 there was a period where the temperature was about 25 degrees for probably two weeks straight, and the teachers forced us to wear those fucking blazers and have our ties cutting off our air supply until one day they had to call in the ambulance because some guy passed out, THEN they decided it was hot enough.

I realise that this should really be judged on a case-by-case basis but I've had enough bad experiences with uniform to make me want to discourage it at every chance possible.

Oh, and anyone who thinks it's funny to pull a tie deserves to be castrated. That includes the asshole I punched in the face because of it.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Those aren't a thing here in Finland.

Maybe there was bullying about the way people dressed, but I was bullied anyway, I doubt that would have helped (and that wasn't what bothered me, because I've always dressed the way I want, and not given a shit of what anyone thinks). And there's no way I'd have worn a skirt. That's my main problem with uniforms; usually it's different for the sexes, which is dumb. Why not have everyone wear the same thing, if you're going to make them wear uniforms anyway. It's not like girls wearing trousers is a taboo anymore.

Also, I get panic attacks in growds. Especially if I feel like they are a group joined together, and a mindless mass. This probably has a lot to do with my inability to tell people apart, and if everyone wore uniforms, my social life would have been even worse.

O maestre said:
as has been stated uniforms can reinforce the feeling of being in a unit, which is important in an age-group that is generally trying to figure out what kind of individual they want to be/become.

and conformity as boring as it is will allow personalities to be judged more easily than clothes, and might help against possible bullying, although that is not guaranteed
It would have totally opposite effect on me. I'd feel everyone would be a single unit apart from me. I tend to get this whenever participating in an activity where people do things in unison, and at worst it's a full-blown panic attack...

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Yes. Went to a School that required uniform.

I never had many clothes, so uniform hid that fact from school children who would inevitably be dicks about it. Plus my uniform wasn't terrible. Could've been a lot worse. Like a suit.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Yes. Went to a fairly strict all-girls school, which had a smart navy, white and maroon coloured uniform (blazer, jumper/cardigan, shirt & tie or blouse, skirt. No more than 2" heels on shoes, skirts had to be at least knee-length, hair and make-up had to be "natural" and you were only allowed to wear a watch and one pair of studded earrings. The only thing we used to complain about was that we were never allowed to wear trousers, even had to wear skirts for P.E...

Sixth Form was a lot more relaxed, we just had to wear smart clothing (not necessarily suits), or a white blouse and black skirt for school concerts/functions.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
My school required uniforms and I didn't mind it. In fact I quite liked the uniform, it was comfortable and smart looking.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
as somone who has had to wear both an easy and loosley regulated "polo shit" and the painful "full on stockings, tie, shirt, skirt,jumper, blazer" thing I actually think they are a good thing

it cuts out the stress of what to wear, for some this is actually a pretty big deal, we are judged on our cloths/fashion and its somthing of an equaliser

that said though...I'm no prude but I remember how short the skirts public school girls skirts were...its like "dude..seriously?" they werent even skirts

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
these results are interesting but not too unexpected. whatever dress code your school had, is what most people consider to be the correct one. well im going to deviate a bit. my school did not require a uniform but i think theyre a good thing. when i was younger uniforms seemed like the worst thing in the world but now that im older, there seem to be many advantages to a uniform. no one will be picked on because they arent dressed "cool," girls dont get labeled as sluts just because of the way they dress. id imagine you would save money on clothes. the only argument ive ever heard against uniforms is that kids cant express themselves through the way they dress...but this argument doesnt hold up. kids dont pick their clothes in a way that expresses who they are, they dress in whatever style is popular. if you look at it that way, all kids wear a uniform

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Frankly, I think they're OK. I've been to school in both British schools that required a uniform and American schools that don't. People judge others based on their clothes, for whatever reason, and people I knew had their stuff stolen, in uniform, that obviously doesn't happen. So long as they don't require a fucking tie, it's cool with me.
I hate ties.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
If I didn't have to wear a uniform back when I was at school then instead of homework I probably would have spent my weekends and after school planning what to wear - and if I had been a little more sensitive, probably shopping. If it takes your mind off what you're going to wear each morning, it's a good thing.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I liked our uniforms, probably because we were still given a decent bit of freedom in dressing ourselves- we had blazers, but never had to wear or even buy them, and we had two different jackets to choose from.

I think guys were even allowed to wear skirts, as long as we made clear it wasn't just a joke and we actually felt more comfortable in it.

So, uh, I vote that uniforms are cool, because it saved me the hassle of trying to dress decently 5 days a week. If a school had an optional uniform, I'd totally wear it anyway.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Yep, both my Primary and Secondary school required a uniform. I hated wearing a tie and blazer in Secondary, so much so that I hate wearing them today :/ (FUCKING PEANUTTING!)

My Secondary school was so stringent about it that if you had a blazer with the old badge instead of the new one you would get sent home.

Then again, what else could you expect from a school that was the second worst in it's Borough, and during the time I was there it had a turn over of about 50 teachers.

I loved it when I went to 6th form, College and University :D

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Did not wear a uniform to school, but taught at a private school that had them. Cost could be an issue (but when you spend less on regular clothes, too, so it evens out) and it really did help a lot with bullying. I know part of a kid's life is trying out personalities and clothes, but at school, I prefer uniforms. It put everyone on equal footing and everyone was happier. I discussed it with the high school girls and they really did prefer it for social reasons.

There always are casual days, which are good too, but I am strongly for uniforms.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Consider many jobs require a uniform/certain dress-code, I don't see it as particularly a bad thing.

As long as the school lets students have whatever piercings and hairstyles/colours as they like, I'm pretty much 100% for uniform. Children/teens should be able to experiment with their look when they're young, before they hit the adult world and have to take their eyebrow-piecing out and re-dye their green hair.

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
I've seen a lot of variations over my school career. But I didn't mind the uniforms, and there was a bunch of positive aspects. I grew up at an inner city school that had some gang issues. The uniform cut out lots of that because you didn't have any visible gang colors of affiliations.

It eliminates people's economic status for the most part. If your all waring the same thing, then you can't be made fun of for not having designer cloths, or into the latest fashion.

Clothing is cheaper. My school's dress code was a white golf shirt (or dress shirt if you really wanted), black pants, and you had an option of wearing a green sweater if you wanted to.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
aba1 said:
The thing I hate about uniforms is that your clothes are part of what defines you to the people around you. If you wear uniform it is like lying about your interests style and personality.
What utter rubbish! If everyone is wearing uniforms it's pretty obvious that it's because they're part of an establishment, and people need to dig deeper to find out people's personality by actually... you know... talking to them. You talk of judgementalism, and yet you think someone's clothes are the biggest way to tell someone's personality!!?

Uniforms don't distort or suppress one's personality. If you have a personality, it will show in far more important things like how you act and speak. I've often found those that rely on image alone to sell their personality usually don't have much of one in the first place. You want less judgemental people in the world? Remove their ability to judge personality on sight, and get them to actually interact to work it out. And you know what system is perfect for that?

Yeah. Uniforms.

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
Another reason I'm for uniforms is one that has been mentioned a few times now, and that is not having to worry about what to wear. In primary school this probably wouldn't have been too much of a problem, most boys that age tend to just throw on any t.shirt because it's going to get dirty anyway, but in high school when you are in your awkward teens it's a bit more difficult. I remember having trouble figuring out what to wear on non uniform days and weekends, I couldn't put up with that five days a week, I can barely manage that now!