Poll: Your view on parents spanking their children?

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Wolverine18 said:
FalloutJack said:
Wolverine18 said:
To a child, it makes no difference.
Bullshit.

Of course it makes a difference. Unless the child has some sort of mental defect, a smack on the bum that leaves no mark is perceived incredibly differently than you coming at them with a baseball bat, or even beating them until they are black and blue.
Are you a parent, Wolverine? It sounds like you are. It also sounds like you gave your children light smacks if you are. Are you a bad person?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
A little slap when a kid is going to hurt someone or getting too far out of line? Fine, sure, so long as it's a last resort.
Hitting them strongly and using objects to hit them at slight provocations? Get the fuck out of here, bro.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
A little slap when a kid is going to hurt someone or getting too far out of line? Fine, sure, so long as it's a last resort.
Hitting them strongly and using objects to hit them at slight provocations? Get the fuck out of here, bro.
You're apparently a bad person, according to Percy. Go directly to jail.

nifedj

Nov 12, 2009
D Moness said:
nifedj said:
Whenever this subject is discussed, lots of people say "I was hit and I turned out fine!" This is a terrible argument. Here are two facts:

1. You think you turned out fine.
so you are telling all those people they are not fine. That they are just sick in their heads because they know (since how can you know someone who you do not know if fine or not) they turned out ok.

That is one very arrogant and stupid statement to make about people you never ever met in your life.

What would you think if i told you you didn't turn out alright just because you have this kind of opinion that what you think makes you sick in your head.
I thought I had been clear enough to avoid that misunderstanding:
nifedj said:
This would mean you had not turned out fine (not completely, anyway, I trust you are generally decent people) but rather had been caused by your upbringing to see as acceptable something which is not.
As I said, I'm not accusing you of being some kind of monster. The assertion that you "turned out fine" implies, at least to me, that you don't think it negatively affected you at all. My point is that it could have, just in a small way. To be perfectly clear: I'm not suggesting people are "sick in the head", I apologise if I gave that impression. The main thing I was trying to get across is that saying "I was hit and turned out fine" is circular logic: you think smacking is ok because it was done to you and didn't negatively affect you, but the "didn't negatively affect you" bit assumes that you're right about smacking in the first place.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Froggy Slayer said:
Wolverine18 said:
FalloutJack said:
Wolverine18 said:
To a child, it makes no difference.
Bullshit.

Of course it makes a difference. Unless the child has some sort of mental defect, a smack on the bum that leaves no mark is perceived incredibly differently than you coming at them with a baseball bat, or even beating them until they are black and blue.
Are you a parent, Wolverine? It sounds like you are. It also sounds like you gave your children light smacks if you are. Are you a bad person?
Well, I know he's a rude person. And not versed in psychology. Otherwise, he'd figure out that children do not have great leaps in perspective most of the time. Pain is pain, whether you get smacked or belted or spanked or punched or whacked or bit or kicked. My self-linking points out that sometimes a smack is necessary, beating and spanking is just abuse. You give 'em a knock and say stop it. You don't reduce 'em to a quivering mass.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
nifedj said:
D Moness said:
nifedj said:
Whenever this subject is discussed, lots of people say "I was hit and I turned out fine!" This is a terrible argument. Here are two facts:

1. You think you turned out fine.
so you are telling all those people they are not fine. That they are just sick in their heads because they know (since how can you know someone who you do not know if fine or not) they turned out ok.

That is one very arrogant and stupid statement to make about people you never ever met in your life.

What would you think if i told you you didn't turn out alright just because you have this kind of opinion that what you think makes you sick in your head.
I thought I had been clear enough to avoid that misunderstanding:
nifedj said:
This would mean you had not turned out fine (not completely, anyway, I trust you are generally decent people) but rather had been caused by your upbringing to see as acceptable something which is not.
As I said, I'm not accusing you of being some kind of monster. The assertion that you "turned out fine" implies, at least to me, that you don't think it negatively affected you at all. My point is that it could have, just in a small way. To be perfectly clear: I'm not suggesting people are "sick in the head", I apologise if I gave that impression. The main thing I was trying to get across is that saying "I was hit and turned out fine" is circular logic: you think smacking is ok because it was done to you and didn't negatively affect you, but the "didn't negatively affect you" bit assumes that you're right about smacking in the first place.
See, I like this guy. This guy is actually debating the matter with intelligence and clear thought, without calling my mum a terrible person after learning one thing about her. Good job. Have some tasty internet cookies.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
FalloutJack said:
My self-linking points out that sometimes a smack is necessary, beating and spanking is just abuse. You give 'em a knock and say stop it. You don't reduce 'em to a quivering mass.
And that is my point exactly, good sir. My mum never actually hurt me when she smacked me, just stopped me from being a tiny dick. I don't think I even ever cried. However, I think that Percy would still think that you're a bad person for espousing this viewpoint.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Wolverine18 said:
Oh, I'm sorry, but you revealed your hand as someone who does not know that side of the line. What you say now is pure conjecture on your part from this point on.

bloodmage2 said:
you're swinging at someone who can't swing back. thats cowardice at its finest. a quick whack to get their attention is fine, but if you hold them down and repeatedly smack them, i see you as the same level of scum as that police officer who maced the handcuffed college students.
Hiya, pal. You're my new friend for this topic. I'll buy you a drink if you're ever in Pittsburgh.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
FalloutJack said:
bloodmage2 said:
you're swinging at someone who can't swing back. thats cowardice at its finest. a quick whack to get their attention is fine, but if you hold them down and repeatedly smack them, i see you as the same level of scum as that police officer who maced the handcuffed college students.
Hiya, pal. You're my new friend for this topic. I'll buy you a drink if you're ever in Pittsburgh.
Yo, can I help out? You guy's viewpoints are the same as mine, so, eh? Come on, be cool.

nifedj

Nov 12, 2009
Froggy Slayer said:
See, I like this guy. This guy is actually debating the matter with intelligence and clear thought, without calling my mum a terrible person after learning one thing about her. Good job. Have some tasty internet cookies.
omnomnomnom

I can understand why this topic can provoke some strong feelings. Personally I can't imagine ever raising a hand at a child, but I figure that logical reasoning makes for a better debate than just telling people to be like yourself.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Why do we seem to equate spanking with beating?

Spanking is a quick, sharp, slap on the ass; the most it results in is a red mark that goes away after a few minutes. There's a difference between that and beating them senseless.

I remember only getting spanked twice as a kid, and I'm pretty sure I deserved both of them. Children can be little terrors and they have absolutely insane methods of logic, so there are just some occasions where you can't reason with them and in those occasions, a slap on the ass is entirely appropriate I think.

Now I don't think this is necessary for every kid, or for every transgression, but some kids need to be taught that their actions have consequences and that's the most efficient way to do it.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Froggy Slayer said:
FalloutJack said:
bloodmage2 said:
Yo, can I help out? You guy's viewpoints are the same as mine, so, eh? Come on, be cool.
Yeah, you're cool too, Froggy. I don't mean ta' leave you out. And hell, shotgun justice for everyone!!

OT: Remember, folks. Perspective and moderation in all things, and you too can be a good parent and obtain internet drinking buddies ALL AT ONCE!!

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
RatRace123 said:
Why do we seem to equate spanking with beating?

Spanking is a quick, sharp, slap on the ass; the most it results in is a red mark that goes away after a few minutes. There's a difference between that and beating them senseless.

I remember only getting spanked twice as a kid, and I'm pretty sure I deserved both of them. Children can be little terrors and they have absolutely insane methods of logic, so there are just some occasions where you can't reason with them and in those occasions, a slap on the ass is entirely appropriate I think.

Now I don't think this is necessary for every kid, or for every transgression, but some kids need to be taught that their actions have consequences and that's the most efficient way to do it.
See this is something I'd like to know too. The thread title clearly says "spanking" and yet we've got people coming in here throwing around words and phrases like "beating", "abuse", "taking a swing at" etc.

Is it really that hard to understand the difference?

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Having been spanked repeatedly by my father and in general smacked around the head which lead to me and my brother growing up hating him which we still do but not as much as when we were younger, I don't think it's acceptable to hit children. This happened until we were about 14 or 15 so it kinda leaves a lasting impression.

If I ever had children I would rather not think they grew to hate me as much as we hated him.