Poll: Your view on parents spanking their children?

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
PercyBoleyn said:
Froggy Slayer said:
Is it? Really? What country do you make your home in good sir? What nation? I can understand why people may be so leery about slapping children, but how is putting your hand on someones shoulder even dangerous? That's crazy talk! Crazy talk I say!
It is illegal to touch a student that way. If you do, and the student reports it, the teacher could end up suspended or worse, depending on how harsh his actions were.

Froggy Slayer said:
You mean that sentence? Again, in what kind of backwards ass place would that be considered illegal?
I'm guessing the word firm means nothing to you. If a teacher uses excesive force or attempts to intimidate the child by touching them then they could end up suspended or worse.

Froggy Slayer said:
And what does the medical community have to do with this?
The medical community is generally against the use of physical force when it comes to children.
I...didn't say the bottom two. And firm doesn't mean to a harmful degree. Also, you skirted the question; what country are you from?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
PercyBoleyn said:
Froggy Slayer said:
Is it? Really? What country do you make your home in good sir? What nation? I can understand why people may be so leery about slapping children, but how is putting your hand on someones shoulder even dangerous? That's crazy talk! Crazy talk I say!
It is illegal to touch a student that way. If you do, and the student reports it, the teacher could end up suspended or worse, depending on how harsh his actions were.

Froggy Slayer said:
You mean that sentence? Again, in what kind of backwards ass place would that be considered illegal?
I'm guessing the word firm means nothing to you. If a teacher uses excesive force or attempts to intimidate the child by touching them then they could end up suspended or worse.

Froggy Slayer said:
And what does the medical community have to do with this?
The medical community is generally against the use of physical force when it comes to children.
Just like how spanking isn't the same as physical abuse, firm isn't the same as excessive force or intimidation. You really gotta stop going to extremes. The world isn't black and white like that.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Boudica said:
spartan231490 said:
I'm not suggesting that you "abandon the right path because it's difficult." I'm suggesting that the "right path" doesn't work, and therefore is the wrong path. I would be willing to strike a retarded man when dialog fails. It's better than watching him hurt innocent people, or seeing him be sent to prison. And that's ignoring the obvious weak point of your "argument," equating spanking with striking. While spanking is technically striking, people think of a very different action when they hear the word striking.
That you would abandon civility and resort to psychical harm from an inability to verbally control a child or direct the mentally handicapped, is both sad and louche.

I can only pray that if you ever have a child, they don't manage to confound you and leave you wanting for words, less they be struck.
I wouldn't abandon civility, I would enforce it. Parents who believe as you do have caused a lot more mental and physical harm than parents who believe as I.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
anthony87 said:
Just like how spanking isn't the same as physical abuse,
The object of it is to cause physical discomfort for a child, right? If it doesn't hurt, how does it work as a punishment? And if causing pain isn't the point, why not substitute it for something else?

Seriously, I can't believe how many people believe it's acceptable.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Lieju said:
anthony87 said:
The object of it is to cause physical discomfort for a child, right? If it doesn't hurt, how does it work as a punishment? And if causing pain isn't the point, why not substitute it for something else?
Physical discomfort yes, but not pain. It's more in the shock of the action to get the child to realise that he's doing something wrong. You can put a child in the corner, eventually he'll be let out of the corner, you can take away his toys but we both know that more often than not he'll get them back. You can ground him but he's gonna be let out eventually. I don't see how anything like that is beneficial because the kid will cop on that none of those punishments actually stick.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
PercyBoleyn said:
Froggy Slayer said:
I...didn't say the bottom two. And firm doesn't mean to a harmful degree. Also, you skirted the question;
It doesn't matter if it's to a harmful degree. If the intent was intimidation, the teacher is in the wrong.

Froggy Slayer said:
what country are you from?
Sorry, I'm not a fan of giving out personal information on the internet. Suffice to say, my country is fairly backwards in many ways but spanking is illegal which says a lot about countries in which it is not.

anthony87 said:
Just like how spanking isn't the same as physical abuse
Well, actually, yes it is. Feel free to prove me wrong.

anthony87 said:
firm isn't the same as excessive force or intimidation.
There are numerous reasons why a teacher would feel the need to "firmly" grip a student and none of them are positive. If a student is misbehaving and the teacher feels the need to do so then the intent is clear.
How is asking what country you're from personal information? It hardly narrows a search down.

I'm not interested in debating slapping with you any more. It's clear that you're on one side of the debate and that nothing is going to change that. But the shoulder thing...yes, it's intimidating but lets say it's a problem student, of 15 or 16. The teacher has just seen them punching a 12 year old and stealing their money. The firm grasp lets the student know who is in charge in this situation; the teacher.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
anthony87 said:
Lieju said:
anthony87 said:
Physical discomfort yes, but not pain. It's more in the shock of the action to get the child to realise that he's doing something wrong. You can put a child in the corner, eventually he'll be let out of the corner, you can take away his toys but we both know that more often than not he'll get them back. You can ground him but he's gonna be let out eventually. I don't see how anything like that is beneficial because the kid will cop on that none of those punishments actually stick.
So make them stick. You aren't seriously suggesting you have to cause lasting pain or damage to make the kid remember the punishment?

The pain/discomfort will go away eventually, after all.
Just like the kid will get their toy back.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
We interrupt this super-serious discussion for some slapstick.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk... Now, on with the thread!

OT: Oh, Percy, give it a rest. Or does the thread have to smack you? (Heh heh heh...)

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Of course, I also attach small probes to children's spines to make them always follow orders. They release nerve impulses every time they don't follow an order that cause PAIN UNLIKE ANY OTHER KNOWN FORM OF PAIN. Can't have my perfect soldiers NOT go through years of horrifying Pavlovian conditioning, can I?

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
You don't have to hur them physically or mentally. Many parents love to lavish their kids with praise and gifts, while the other extreme is harsh. Sone love is a given, but they also need to understand that most of the things in their lives need to be earned. The best way to punish these kids is to eny them of certain priviledges and never, ever, go back on your word. If you promise no computer for a week, stick to it and endure the whining. The fouth time will not be accompanied by screaming or crying from the child. He knows he did somethung wrong and that he deserves the pubnishment pr alternitevily, that no complaining would solve the issue.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Lieju said:
anthony87 said:
Lieju said:
anthony87 said:
So make them stick. You aren't seriously suggesting you have to cause lasting pain or damage to make the kid remember the punishment?

The pain/discomfort will go away eventually, after all.
Just like the kid will get their toy back.
I don't recall saying anything about lasting pain or damage.

Yeah, it'll fade but I'm not talking about spinning a kid around and spanking him as soon as he puts a foot out of line. It's meant as a last resort. I'm not saying that it's 100% effective but nothing is. If spanking doesn't deter the kid, maybe things like being grounded and having toys taken away will. If being grounded and having toys taken away doesn't deter the kid, then maybe being spanked will. If neither works well then this hypothetical parent has their work cut out for them.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
PercyBoleyn said:
Froggy Slayer said:
But the shoulder thing...yes, it's intimidating but lets say it's a problem student, of 15 or 16. The teacher has just seen them punching a 12 year old and stealing their money. The firm grasp lets the student know who is in charge in this situation; the teacher.
That's a completely different situation.
But you are conceding that sometimes a firm shoulder grasp is needed, yes?