Poll: You're pregnant. What do you do?

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
Enough with the "I'm a bloke and got pregnant" gags already.

Responses in here are not surprising when matched up against the demographics of The Escapist. Mostly late teens/early twenties, unemployed / students / part time jobs. It's pretty reasonable to expect that people in that situation would not want to have a baby, so no surprise abortion is runaway winner in the poll.

Survey my peer group: late twenties / early thirties, mostly professionals in good jobs with long term partners and mortgages: results would be about 90% yay! we made a baby. Personally, I would be stoked to have another kid, but I would hang up the boots and get the snip after that because 3 kids = awesome, 4 kids = minivan :(

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Other.

Girl's choice. Not mine.

The entire idea behind abortion is that it's not a human being yet and as such has no father. It's a piece of tissue inside the pregnant woman's body and as such the final decision lies with her.

Adoption however I do have something to say about and the answer is likely "no" on that one. Whilst still a student I would be capable of taking care of a baby, especially since I would have the support of my own parents, and as such that child, once born, is my responsibility and I should take care of it if I can, not pass that burden on to someone else. If I wasn't willing to bear that responsibility I should have ensured protection was worn during the act to prevent pregnancy.

Garyn Dakari

Nov 12, 2011
OniaPL said:
Newby_Newb said:
AmayaOnnaOtaku said:
Keep the child, I had sex knowing full well the consequences, and I am adult enough to accept them
Best reply in the whole thread.

[img/]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly9fswWJwX1qfaknl.gif[/img]
Such bullshit. If you don't want a child, that does not mean you should not have sex; that is what birth control exists for. If you are using birth control and it happens to be the 0,1% case where it does not work, it does not mean you should keep the thing.

Now if you don't want a kid but are not using any protection, that's just stupid.
The "Thing" you speak of is a human life.

OT: Well, I'm a single guy, but if I had a wife or girlfriend...If it's a girlfriend, then I guess I'm stupid for sleeping with her*. If it's my wife, then yay, I've always wanted to start a family.

Either way though, the topic would have to be discussed before marriage or sex.

*I'm not saying it's stupid for people to sleep with their girlfriends/boyfriends. It's just a personal rule of mine that I won't sleep with anyone besides my spouse.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Calling the thread where the guy claimed abortion were against women's right interesting is a lie. He was misinformed, stated blatant lies and bias from people who are pro-choice and listing them as truth rather than giving the cold hard truth.

However that isn't the topic. If I were to get a girl pregnant right now I would leave it all to her what she would do with it. I don't have any say since I would not carry it and I would probably not be able to help much taking care of it since I'm a student. I would help out if she wanted me to, but I would not try to get my way in this. If this were after I had finished my education and got a job I would have wanted her to keep it and I would be able to help out. The choice would still be hers to make though.

Selifator

Jul 14, 2008
Silly answer: Question my manhood.
Serious answer: If I had a girlfriend and she got pregnant, I'd be open for abortion but also open for keeping the baby. Depends on the situation.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
BringBackBuck said:
because 3 kids = awesome, 4 kids = minivan :(
0 kids = Porsche and a stain free condo.

For us we discussed that having kids was just not our thing.
Along with that, I would have to invest a lot of time, money and hormonal mood swings to even get pregnant in the first place due t medical conditions.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
If I was pregnant? I'd find ways to make money off of the freak of nature that has happened.

And I'd go tell everyone I know that they were the father

Edit: Oh, if I actually got a girl pregnant?

Hmm... I think I'd leave it up to her. I'd prefer to never have to deal with an abortion in my life, but I also am not grown up enough to raise a kid with a random girl.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Generic I'm a guy; how did this happen comment!

But seriously it would depend on the circumstances, for example I was a bit of a man whore last weekend and if either of those two lovely ladies ended getting pregnant I would go full on what they wanted to do, I really have no part in there lives other than "that guy I met in a club and took back to my place" so if they wanted to keep it I'd help out in anyway I could, even try for a relationship with said lady. Same way as if they wanted to abort/adopt I would respect that decision.

However if I did have a long term girlfriend. I would want to keep the wee baby. I've finished the education stage of my life, have a solid-ish job with a lot of potential, I'm in a relatively comfortable position to start considering these things.

Not surprised but kind of sad about the amount of abortion poll answers. I'm not against it but... that's a lot.

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
Angie7F said:
BringBackBuck said:
because 3 kids = awesome, 4 kids = minivan :(
0 kids = Porsche and a stain free condo.

For us we discussed that having kids was just not our thing.
Along with that, I would have to invest a lot of time, money and hormonal mood swings to even get pregnant in the first place due t medical conditions.
You think you're so clever because of all your free time, disposable income, sports car, baby-vomit free clothing, sleep-ins on the weekend, social life, single friends, brunch, a still functioning sex life, and the fact as soon as any other person in the world who also has children not only thinks you want to hear about their shitty kids but also want their advice on how to raise yours...wait, I've lost my train of thought - where was I going with this again?

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
If no one minds yet another biological male weighing in on the subject:

Any decision to give birth or not (even before conception), certainly requires a great deal of genuine dialogue between partners. Together, you have to carefully consider not only the lesser concerns about whether an addition to the family can be financially supported, but the fact that you essentially have to make the most important choice of a person's life for them (the child's decision to be born). This must be considered because it will take some significant ethical commitment, care, and healing to mend that transgression.

Personally, I think of a true sexual encounter as something that should flow from love, and I have a strict sense of responsibility in the first place, so its unlikely that I'd ever find myself in this hypothetical situation. But that said, trying to come up with a hard principle to address every variant of such a situation (regardless of who your partner is, the nature of your relationship, what they want, what is best for the child given your mutual attitudes) is wrong-headed. This is a deeply personal (i.e. interpersonal) affair.

Let's say we're beyond the ideal scenario though. To somewhat oversimplify the situation, one might say that if the child is being objectified, if one or more parents are more concerned about themselves than the child or some sort of principle than the person they are talking about bringing into existence, and it seems unlikely that anyone will change by the time of birth - an early-term abortion may be a reasonable option (though such an act should by no means be taken lightly - each a tragedy born of our weaknesses). If one does go through the process of aborting a fetus, it had better be a transformative event - not one that happens twice if at all possible.

No, I don't believe that life in any truly meaningful sense begins at biological conception. A *child* is conceived through love; a "kid" is born through just the meeting of gametes. Still, between committing an absurd act of violence in abortion or cruelly throwing another person into the world with no intention of committing yourself to offering them a real family - neither answer is right if it does not bring serious transformation in the parents. If the child's immanent arrival does not transform a couple into a loving family, there can only suffering and hopefully growth in the would-be parents.

P.S. If my original answer became too unclear/confusing, I'm personally of such a disposition that I'm more likely to want to keep the child, but by no means would I consider my will the last word. My partner and I will consider each other's convictions as well as the potential child's welfare (in all its forms), and the possibility of our ethical debt to the child.

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
Yopaz said:
Calling the thread where the guy claimed abortion were against women's right interesting is a lie. He was misinformed, stated blatant lies and bias from people who are pro-choice and listing them as truth rather than giving the cold hard truth.
Yeah, I meant interesting as in "interesting". As in: 'My, what interestingly misinformed views you hold.'

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Being a guy, I'd probably freak the fuck out. Well, not probably. Odds are though, the closest I'll ever get to pregnant would be if another dog/cat passes it's fleas on to me or, possibly if I get some kind of parasitic infestation. Reasons to freak out but not FtFO...pregnant with a human baby though? I'm either dreaming or in Hell.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Garyn Dakari said:
OniaPL said:
Such bullshit. If you don't want a child, that does not mean you should not have sex; that is what birth control exists for. If you are using birth control and it happens to be the 0,1% case where it does not work, it does not mean you should keep the thing.

Now if you don't want a kid but are not using any protection, that's just stupid.

OT: Well, I'm a single guy, but if I had a wife or girlfriend...If it's a girlfriend, then I guess I'm stupid for sleeping with her*. If it's my wife, then yay, I've always wanted to start a family.

Either way though, the topic would have to be discussed before marriage or sex.

*I'm not saying it's stupid for people to sleep with their girlfriends/boyfriends. It's just a personal rule of mine that I won't sleep with anyone besides my spouse.
But it is not human life. It is not a he or she, it's "it". It is not a human, it is just a clump of cells that will one day take the form of a human if allowed to do so.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Crenelate said:
Yopaz said:
Yeah, I meant interesting as in "interesting". As in: 'My, what interestingly misinformed views you hold.'
Aah, yeah it was pretty interesting to see anyone that misinformed

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Silvianoshei said:
Reading this thread is amazing. A lot of people don't realize how much you change after having a child, If you are truly worried enough about the child's well being that you don't think you have the maturity to raise it, you'll surprise yourself at how much you grow up when you have one. If you liken a child to a parasite, then maybe you should hold off...
Believe me, there are too many out there who would not want an abortion who should never ever have kids. Some mature when it's required, but there are enough who don't.

Garyn Dakari said:
No, it's not. At the time where it's acceptable to have an abortion the nerves have yet to develop. Seriously, if you call this

a human life there is something seriously wrong with you. Especially since this is the foetus of a pig, which I am sure you did not gather from the image. An adult pig is a lot more developed than an early embryo, so by your definition we should not eat pigs because of how advanced they are. Even trees are more advanced than a foetus. There are a few requirements when we define life, and being able to find food is one of them. So by the ACTUAL definition a foetus can barely be called living at all.