Poll: YuGiOh or Magic:The Gathering, which is better?

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
Yu-Gi-Oh is simpler, I'd say. You won't have quite as complex a strategy.
Magic will have half your deck filled with land cards. Yaaay, trees!

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
JDB15 said:
Sonic Doctor said:
So, if you can only play one, play Magic. It is a better structured game that flows much better than any card game I have ever played. Plus it has been round for a decade longer than Yugioh and has a larger fan base, meaning it is much easier to go to a card shop and find a Magic game group going than a Yugioh one. Also, Magic has a much larger library of cards to choose from with so many combinations of decks that could be made that it seriously makes Yugioh look like child's play.
Just because it's been longer doesn't mean you'll find more people into Magic. In the card shop that I used to go to before it closed down, it has Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh players (some were playing both) and that was years ago, even before Yu-Gi-Oh GX.

But overall I'll say this: These two card games are way better than much other card games, like the Pokemon Trading Card Game
Well, it was the same at the card shop I use to go to before it closed down, where there were people that played both, but Magic definitely had a larger following and actually had tournaments and events at the shop and huge deals on Magic cards.

I wish I could actually find a good card shop around me. There is one left, but it is way over priced and the owners are rather snobbish about what they will sell and who they will sell it to. It boggles the mind how the awesome store went out of business and the sucky one survives for all eternity.

Now I'm relegated to playing with a couple of friends and buying card packs at Wal-Mart. No place to actually meet new Magic players, and from experience from the old shop, there are a ton of them in my city.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I'd have to say Yugioh, but I've never played Magic, I don't even know the basics for how it works, so my opinion doesn't mean much. The only things I do know is there's apperently a card you have to tear up to use (I question its existence to be honest) and that the black lotus is extremely dangerous, though I don't know why.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
Well that is kind of the reason I use rares, they are usually the ones that look awesome and I like awesome looking cards coming out onto the field under my control.

Oh, and back on to what I mention about my friends Elf deck, I believe this is the premise of the combo, he had elves that tapped to create mana of any color, and elves that tapped to create creatures, and elves that let him gain life every time a creature came into play, then all that combines with this card:

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
Yugioh is pretty mindless if you net deck, especially if it's a deck built around one combo where you won't see much tactical variation.

I don't have more than a superficial knowledge of MTG.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
That card exists but it's part of two sets that were printed as kind of a joke. They're called 'unglued' and 'unhinged' and they're there purely as joke cards, I occasionally shuffle a few into my decks to wind people up, there's nothing to break someone's concentration like telling them they've got to take a shoe off.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?recentpage=0&multiverseid=5712
Yup, definitely a fun little diversion of a series.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I believe that a few people, myself included, forgot what these games are about: fun. Who the hell cares which is more complex or which has "better" rules? Besides, you could just run traditional. That is always...interesting.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
I've played yugioh and still play magic, never done competitive for the former and do draft/sealed for mtg. I'll say magic is better since it's way easier to understand what the card does, I know this isn't always true but it was infuriating when I had to bust out the magnifying glass just to read Toon Dragon then go over it five more times to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Sylvine

Jun 7, 2011
As a long-time magic player, I'd have to suggest Magic. I did play some Yu-Gi-Oh, mostly in order to escape silly brand loyalty, but I found it severely lacking in comparison to MTG.

Make no mistake, though, both are expensive hobbies, especially when going competitive. Especially today's standard format in Magic is, well, difficult to swallow. Eternal formats like Legacy and Vintage have higher initial costs, what with most staples being rather expensive, but at least they don't rotate. With standard, which rotates every year (3 latest blocks are played), it can get really painful - case in point, today's standard is ruled by Jace, The Mind Sculptor, which will cost You between $60 and $80 a pop, and that's just 4 cards out of 36+mana base... and he rotates in a few months. Might get banned before that, too... Ouch. EDIT: Actually, I just checked on that. Jace TMS and Stoneforge Mystic get the axe in the next bannings. Hallelujah! Maybe we'll have a somewhat healthy standard now.

Good part of it? If You don't mind playing online and with a bit of a substandard interface, You can play for free on Magic Workstation. Google is YOur friend ;)

~Sylv

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
Yugioh... 1/10 deckbuilding 9/10 mechanics. I built slighlt better combination of creatures, spells, and traps and therefore, thanks to the lovely lovely rules I win. Boring as all hell in my honest opinion.

You get a good deckbuilder in Magic and you can do everything from getting out a 15 mana cost monster (Hell yeah Zendikar) in 6 turns, to getting a card that while it is in play you cannot lose the game and then make it invincible with another card (Most people know about the Platinum Angel combo) to making infinite mana (lol myr), to turn 0 victory (flash hulk) to... Stopping fanboyness now. *pants*

Simply put: Yugioh is a very linear game with relatively little in the way of tactics or strategy.

Magic: The Gathering on the other hand allows you to break every single rule with its cards, and if it is not expressly illegal and you figured out how to get your Life so high that you can't figure it out even with a calculator? Great strategy, you white weenie.

You go from linear progression to near endless possiblity. I know which I prefer.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
JDB15 said:
Agreed. I've seen people play Magic and it seems that everyone have a type of deck, ie Earth, Fire, etc (I don't know if those are types of magic cards, I'm not that into Magic.) And I know, people have similar tactics in Yugioh, ie dragon, warrior, water deck, but in Yu-Gi-Oh, I see more people have more structured decks with different types of monsters/magic/traps, including me, with different combinations and strategies. Plus, it seems that Yu-Gi-Oh is more fun (can be for fun or competitive), where Magic is more of a serious tone and more difficult to get into.
There are way more combinations and strategies in Magic than in Yugioh.

First off the basics:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/NewtoMagic.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/newtomagic/gamebasics

That is highly watered down though so:

Here is a list of all creature species:

There are 54, with many having subsections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_species_in_Magic:_The_Gathering

Here is a listing of all subtypes of creatures and other types of for other cards, I don't know why but some of the listed subtypes are ones that are listed in the Species types.:

But still there are over 225 card types just in the creature list.(Though it is missing Changelings, which are all creature types at once.)

http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Subtype

Here is all the abilities and powers that creatures and non-creature cards can have:

I didn't count but there is at least 50 different things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_keywords

I have a Magic card collection that is well over 2500 cards, probably 3000 and I know I don't have all the types of cards.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
YuGiOh has a bitching abridged video series whereas Money the Wasting has sweaty nerds.

Reply and tell me in 1000 words or more why I am wrong.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Ironsouled said:
One of my friends actually uses the Platinum Angel combo in his Angel deck.

Also I would point out that white isn't the only color that life gains. As I explained in an earlier comment, the same friend has an Elf deck with an infinite life gain and infinite creature producing combo. It uses elf powers and Intruder Alarm.

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Yeah, the only drawback that can be seen for this card is the mana cost, but with such an effect, I don't see the mana cost as a drawback. I could care less about how much power the thing has, with my Elf deck, I would hope my opponent kills it because then I can bring it six 1/1 elves that all have some awesome abilities of their own. Such a card effect in Yugioh would be banned, even if it could be countered.
The biggest disadvantage I can see as a blue/black player and lifelong dickhead is that anyone with decent spell capacity can lock it down almost indefinitely. Personally I'd unsummon it as many times as I could to keep your mana tied up bringing it back and then hit it with something that prevents it attacking. My other favourite is 'taking toys away', where you mind control a creature with an enchantment and then do absolutely nothing with it! The goal of that is to keep it out of play and out of the graveyard, my other favourite option is a spell in my Myr heavy white deck, it's a one mana exile spell. The problem with green is that it's light on counterspells so I can pretty much have my wicked way with them. My girlfriend is a red/green player and I traded her some of her 'best' cards, from one perspective they're dangerous but from another each creature, no matter how big, is but one creature and can be dealt with.

OT: Magic is by far the better game to play because an entire deck of commons and uncommons can thoroughly dick all over another deck with more expensive cards if you built the deck well. My favourite rage-inducing deck is either a blue/black discard or a white artefact deck built around token summoning. Each of those can tie up a deck of almost any value nearly indefinitely. Play either heavy enchantment or a token generation deck and then be all:

(protip: War Report in a Myr tribal deck. What's that? Add one hp for each creature AND each artefact? What? Myr are both? Well if you insist...)
To your protip... Add in

while running 6 myr and 18 tokens. +1 power and toughness for each creature of the same type? I have 23 others? Well... this should get funny.

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
Ironsouled said:
One of my friends actually uses the Platinum Angel combo in his Angel deck.

Also I would point out that white isn't the only color that life gains. As I explained in an earlier comment, the same friend has an Elf deck with an infinite life gain and infinite creature producing combo. It uses elf powers and Intruder Alarm.
I'm aware, but its always fun to have a laugh at the expense of the color I do not use... much >.>.

I use the infinite creature elf deck with Coat of Arms for hilarity. Another good one red/green zendikar... infinite eldrazi spawn+ some of the big guys... What was that, 15 mana cost? I'll still have 8 eldrazi spawn.? Its only turn six and you have 2 creatures out while my Eldrazi is an annihilator 4? Have fun losing land.

JDB15

Jun 12, 2011
Custard_Angel said:
YuGiOh has a bitching abridged video series whereas Money the Wasting has sweaty nerds.

Nah, I'll just say in a few words of how I agree with you. lol

Sonic Doctor said:
JDB15 said:
Agreed. I've seen people play Magic and it seems that everyone have a type of deck, ie Earth, Fire, etc (I don't know if those are types of magic cards, I'm not that into Magic.) And I know, people have similar tactics in Yugioh, ie dragon, warrior, water deck, but in Yu-Gi-Oh, I see more people have more structured decks with different types of monsters/magic/traps, including me, with different combinations and strategies. Plus, it seems that Yu-Gi-Oh is more fun (can be for fun or competitive), where Magic is more of a serious tone and more difficult to get into.
There are way more combinations and strategies in Magic than in Yugioh.

First off the basics:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/NewtoMagic.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/newtomagic/gamebasics

That is highly watered down though so:

Here is a list of all creature species:

There are 54, with many having subsections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_species_in_Magic:_The_Gathering

Here is a listing of all subtypes of creatures and other types of for other cards, I don't know why but some of the listed subtypes are ones that are listed in the Species types.:

But still there are over 225 card types just in the creature list.(Though it is missing Changelings, which are all creature types at once.)

http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Subtype

Here is all the abilities and powers that creatures and non-creature cards can have:

I didn't count but there is at least 50 different things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_keywords

I have a Magic card collection that is well over 2500 cards, probably 3000 and I know I don't have all the types of cards.
Like I said, I'm not into Magic The Gathering and I've only based my knowledge from what I've seen years ago at the card shop I mentioned, so I'm not really saying my information about it is 100% correct. Thanks anyway for the links and the information nonetheless. (Huh... actually read some of the stuff in the basics link and it seems that the two games are the same; and people, stop saying that Yu-Gi-Oh is a ripoff since most if not all trading card games are, more or less, ripoffs of Magic, so what's the point of just calling out one of the many?)

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Since when? I challenge you to find cards more broken than Raigeki, Cyber Stein, Cyber Jar, Magical Scientist, etc.
Fiber Jar. That's right, start the whole game over. *****. It's like a Karn, except all you have to do is flip it. Also, not as useful.

Custard_Angel said:

You're completely right. But it doesn't stop Magic from being any less fun =P And for all the sweaty nerds that play Magic, there are actual cool people who play it too.