Poll: YuGiOh or Magic:The Gathering, which is better?

Jatyu

Insane Faceless Stranger
Sep 1, 2010
Wow, it's getting a little heated in here...

Anyway...

I've played both magic and yugioh and while they are both good, I would say magic is better, but not for the reasons you may think.

See magic first came out in 1993, as a card game. Yugioh was launched as a card game in 1999, being based on the manga and anime. Magic came out first and has the benefit of 6 extra years behind it. Additionally, it as designed as a card game, whereas yugioh was based off of the game played in the show/manga, whose rules were kinda loosely defined.

Early yugioh was kinda bad and quite unbalanced. Magic was the same, but not quite as bad. Yugioh was also more expensive, and had quite a few useless cards. Magic cards nearly always have some use.

Magic also has much more support for its community, particularly in the english speaking world. For example, they recently took the much loved fan-created format Elder Dragon Highlander, and turned it into an official format, Commander. They didn't take over the format though, the people who created EDH still control the rules for commander, but they did release new preconstructed decks, with brand new cards made specifically for the format.

I've never seen Konami do that.

Magic is the better game, not because the game itself is better, but because the community around it is.

KyoFox

Sep 13, 2009
To lazy to read all replies, so if I copy someone, I'm sorry

I would recommend Magic. It is, as someone else has stated before, more tactical. With a few simple cards, and practice, you can annihilate players in a few turns.
The mechanics of the game may take some getting used to at first, but it is not that hard. Just find a mentor

I haven't played Yugioh in a long time, and it confused the crap out of me as a kid, so I can't say much. Mostly, I think it was unnecessary to use attack and defenses that are in the thousands. That was complicated math when figuring out how much damage an attack did(again, I was way younger)

If you are gonna try Magic, I would recommend using a Forest, or green, deck. It's easier to gain life that way, great for beginners.

Also, if you wanna be cheap, go and find a "Phage the Untouchable" card. That'll probably annoy a lot of Planeswalkers (Planewalkers? What's the plural?)

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
Magic is better than Yu-Gi-Oh, in my opinion. They're both great games, but Magic has stuff going for it that other games don't.

In Magic, most cards have a color of some sort. In Yu-Gi-Oh, cards have types such as Light and Dark, and they can combo with each other, but you can play any card in any deck for the most part. Magic restricts the cards by restricting the types of mana you can use to play them. It forces you to think about the pros and cons of each color, and put together a deck accordingly instead of just slapping the best cards in the game together.

Sets and flavor, although I never paid them much attention in Yu-Gi-Oh, pay a large role in Magic. That's part of what makes Standard so interesting, and the games last longer than Yu-Gi-Oh ones do. Legacy is a cool format in and of itself, but it's just as expensive as Yu-Gi-Oh if not more, and games last about the same length if not quicker.

Did Yu-Gi-Oh ever do drafts? If so, that's cool.

Also, this is just my opinion, but I always though that the card art in Magic (nowadays at least) is better, and so is the quality of the cards themselves.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
Jatyu said:
Magic is the better game, not just because the game itself is better, but because the community around it is.
I couldn't have said it better myself (except for the little edit I did). There is NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE in my area who still plays Yu-Gi-Oh as anything more than a novelty. The only places you can get cards are mass market stores. There just isn't a player base here. I don't know what it's like other places, but the community pretty much defines games like theses, and there's simply a bigger one for Magic.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Yu Gi Oh. I say this because it is the one I played and I still play it. I never got into Magic.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
Im curious how Cawblade at its peak matches up to some of these "busted" Yugioh prices hehe.

Anyway Magic hands down, theres just so many formats and WotC is just plain awesome. Is there ANYTHING like the MTGO community cup that Konami does? ANYTHING?

Fenix7

Jun 14, 2011
Unless you really, REALLY like the anime/manga/whatever, there's no reason to choose yugioh over mtg. As a game, mtg is infinitely superior.

ArtanisCreed

Jan 15, 2011
yugioh is easier to learn to play. Both games are hard to master tho. M:TG has been around longer and has a shit ton more cards. try both games an see what u like. (honestly i like magic more cause it has a much deeper lore.)

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Yu-Gi-Oh is easier to get into, but Magic is the better (well, more in depth) game.

I always called YuGiOh, "Magic the Gathering: lite"

I enjoy both, but I also don't play both regularly. Magic is way better, once you get into it.

YuGiOh: easy to pick up and fun
Magic: difficult to get into and FUN

Gametek

May 20, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
Grey_Focks said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Fine, at this point comparrisons between the two would require examining so many distinct elelements that it would be near impossible to say one is more complex than the other.

But you still do have to back up what the hell zeroth turn kill even means, because at this point all I'm picturing is you punching a guy and then claiming you win.
Well ,that is always an option, but not the one I had in mind :p. Keep in mind, there are multiple formats in magic that limit which sets you are allowed to use cards from when building your deck. Standard is basically the past 2 years of sets, Extended is 4, Legacy is every set with a banned/restricted list, and Vintage is everything with a restricted list. There are others, but those are the most basic ones.

This deck in question is only legal in Vintage, maybe legacy, I'd need to check banned lists. To make it simple, I'll just post a video :D

<youtube=iMUTQO-mnIg>

And, fittingly enough for magic, there are even counters to THIS strategy, such as a mana-less counter spell like Force of will, or cards that you can start with on the field such as leyline of sanctity.
.....where the hell did you people learn to count? That is not turn zero, that is turn one. If you are acting, that is your turn. Like I said, 13 combos that do that. You can't just point out a technicality in the Magic rulebook that the first turn doesn't count as a turn and say that means its a zero turn kill.
For turn zero you mean exodia in your hand, right? If it's anything after the syncro set I don't even want to now that card.

Gametek

May 20, 2011
The7Sins said:
Xzi said:
The7Sins said:
As this is not a dedicated card games forum I'll not go into my usual scathing review of Magic so as to hopefully avoid Mod wrath to my nice shiny new account on this great forum.

However the simplified bit is Yugioh is better than Magic for not only being a more fun game thanks to no resource system but Magic as a game is bad due to the rotating sets. (I have a long rant I could go into as to why this is bad but it is not something I'm certain is good for this forum or my account as it is not a dedicated card game forum)
You're telling me that Yu-Gi-Oh never releases new cards or revises which cards are legal on occasion? If that's the case, it must be INCREDIBLY imbalanced and poorly designed. But I know that's not the case, so stop trying to find non-existent advantages for one over the other, and let's instead just stick with the facts, shall we?
I never said that. Yugioh only bans problem powerful cards that honestly Konami was high when they created it for being all powerful and they release new sets regularly. Magic on the other hand rotates out whole sets forcing people to buy product. It is a concept of greed on the highest order and one I wholly dislike. Konami for all there faults do not force anyone to buy product. You can play Yugioh with just about anything you want as long as it is not banned and very few cards are. However of course you won't be as competitive as others if you don't buy thing on occasion. But its still a better option than holding a gun to the head of the game's addicts forcing them to throw money @ the game to keep there decks legal.
Bulshit. I played yugiho, and most of the best card are banned or limited. As for the using of older card, most of series 1 card are or incredibly weak, or insanely strong. The only win thing of the last series is takin away from the fusion the polymorph card, but yet it beat me why they keep changing name for it. Fusion, union, exceed, sincro. Bha.

And, you seem to point that yugiho tournament have only a ban list and don't force to use last released card. are you kidding right? I never played a tournament for bot, but this look like if yugiho expansion pack do a poorly work at providing enough good card to produce a bunch of strategy oriented deck.

Gametek

May 20, 2011
Macgyvercas said:
Xzi said:

How is this even a question? Yu-Gi-Oh is just a cheap MTG knock-off with half the complexity and depth and eight times the stupid anime androgyny.

MTG is way more fun and addictive in the long run. I mean, when you get to the point where you can start fucking people over with a blue/artifact deck, it's just...nirvana.
*eye twitches*

As long as that blue/artifact deck doesn't include Memnarch, I'm cool with it. It really sucks if it has Memnarch, Grand Architect and Pili-Pala. That is a recipe for fuck overs galore.

Of course, my demons can usually handle that sort of deck no problem, and my angels crush the rest (yes, I have an angel deck, yes it has Akroma, Linvala, and Iona, and yes, it's built around lifelink and has Akroma's Memorial in it. You may call me a dick at any time).
And mental corrosion? Your opponents discard the first two card from the deck any time a spell is played. Pretty anoying for me, ruin most of my strategy...

Gametek

May 20, 2011
chaos order said:
OutrageousEmu said:
chaos order said:
yugioh is definitely fun but WAY TO UNBALANCED. especially with the newer cards out there (victory dragon wtf is that about!). id say magic, but i just got my first deck so im not too sure about the game right now :p
Victory Dragon is banned, it was a promotional card.
i knew it was banned in tournaments, but then why release cards that are soo unbalanced that they need to be banned. victory dragon isnt the only one for example witch of the black forest is one that was banned too, same with dark hole.
And pot avarice [how was called the one that let you draw two card?], raijeki, and bla bla, bla. Fun fact is that most of this card have no reason to be banned.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
i can see the appeal of magic but i just never got into it and Yu gi oh was the thing that every must have at school for about 5 years so it was an easy choice

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I've only played Yu-gi-oh so setting that.

I have magic deck and several cards...but no one to play with, none of my friends play it an as far as I know the closest place where people meet to play Magic is 1 hour away with train... =/

No-one Special

Apr 16, 2009
Go with Magic. It's a lot more complicated, but ultimately more satisfying. I actually only got into Magic at the start of the year. There is a lot of strategy and thought involved, but it's fun building a deck because you get to work out your style of game play. For example my deck depends on me playing lots of cheap cards that work well together, where as my friends deck is more dependent on being about to counter anything thrown at him.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
Back in High School, my buddies and I found a way to play a game pitting MtG vs. YuGiOh and MtG came out on top. YuGiOh comes off as almost a carbon copy of magic with a few minor changes. I guess the bottom line is I find myself able to imagine the world of Magic more so than YuGiOh.