Portal 2 - Is it REALLY worth it?

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
I enjoyed it. I started playing through the game again with the commentary on. Most single players games I don't touch again, so that says something.

I haven't touched multiplayer yet. I want to, I just haven't coordinated with my friends a time to do it, and playing with random unknowns isn't appealing.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
MolotoK said:
The story is great, but the puzzles are just way too easy (I blame console gamers!).
What's the point of a puzzle game that doesn't challenge you?
Puzzle-wise I thought they were about the same. One puzzle in the original stumped me, one puzzle in the sequel stumped me (final test puzzle). Mostly I ended up walking around, not sure exactly what to do until it fell into place. Both games were extensively play-tested to notbe too tough.

But I think Portal 2 should have shipped with SP challenge puzzles, because it was pretty easy to predict that if you made the main story easy enough for most players to finish, veteran players would find it too easy.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
It ain't exactly cheap for the quantity of gameplay it has, but I'd say there's enough quality to it to make the MSRP reasonable enough.

No harm in waiting if you're in a tight spot though, it'll be just as good when the price has dropped a few months from now. And it's obviously nowhere near as good a deal as the orange box was.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
I've been playing it for roughly 7 hours, and I'm not too sure when the end is coming (I'm at chapter 8 I think). Considering the amazing gameplay and hilarious dialogue, I'm really not annoyed that it's not super freakin' long. $60 is a lot for 8 or so hours (and 5 more in coop) until you take into account the content of the game.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
Appleshampoo said:
This isn't a massive deep discussion of Portal 2 or anything, just a simple question.

I loved Portal 1, it was great, however at the moment money is pretty low for me due to having a damn child that needs something every 5 seconds so the little money I do have spare I like to make sure I spend it wisely.

So is Portal 2 worth the purchase? Is it worth the hour of shouting my girlfriend will do when she finds out I've wasted her shoe money on buying a game?
yes. yes it is.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
It is bloody fantastic. Definitely worth a good bollocking from your girlfried:p

The singleplayer took me about 8hours and the Co-op took me about 8hours also, plus you will be getting free DLC from valve so you don't have to waste more money on DLC.

Maybe she will play the co-op with you:p

slackbheep

Sep 10, 2008
Portal 2 will without a doubt end up being one of the best games released this year, that said I think it might be hard to justify the investment given you're a little pressed for cash at the moment you'd probably get more enjoyment total out of a longer game with more open ended multiplayer or sandbox elements.

Also in the name of sharing if the OP or anyone else a little strapped for cash hasn't played Mass Effect 2 yet I and surely other posters in this thread have a free copy to give away, just toss me a PM.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
if you don't like portal two then I'm going to come to your house and burn it down with combustible lemons.