Portal 2 Review

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Sober Thal said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
ZiggyE said:
You use the term 'indie' a lot when describing Portal.

Portal isn't an indie game nor a 'pseudo-indie' game. In fact it was made by one of the largest studios in the PC market.
Valve doesn't have a publisher, that's what an independent studio is. A studio, that is not dependent on a publisher.
I thought the first portal was made by a college kid, then Valve backed/bought him. I'm pretty sure portal wasn't a Valve idea, but they made it better.

I would call it an Indie game backed by a Big company that isn't a mega corp. But that's just me.

EDIT: "Portal is Valve's spiritual successor to the freeware game Narbacular Drop, the 2005 independent game released by students of the DigiPen Institute of Technology; the original Narbacular Drop team is now employed at Valve"
Valve developed this game, they have no publisher, making them independent and the game an independently developed game.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
gigastar said:
Well, 2 more days for me to wait because for some reason the rest of the world still doesnt get theese games at least at the same time as America.

Iron Lightning said:
So they made the puzzles easier, eh, that statement alone has pretty well curbed my enthusiasm for this new installment.
Theres bound to be a challenge mode. Valve wouldnt leave that out would they?
They very well might do so in the name of increasing "accessibility." You know how companies are about that sort of thing nowadays.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Sober Thal said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Sober Thal said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
ZiggyE said:
You use the term 'indie' a lot when describing Portal.

Portal isn't an indie game nor a 'pseudo-indie' game. In fact it was made by one of the largest studios in the PC market.
Valve doesn't have a publisher, that's what an independent studio is. A studio, that is not dependent on a publisher.
I thought the first portal was made by a college kid, then Valve backed/bought him. I'm pretty sure portal wasn't a Valve idea, but they made it better.

I would call it an Indie game backed by a Big company that isn't a mega corp. But that's just me.

EDIT: "Portal is Valve's spiritual successor to the freeware game Narbacular Drop, the 2005 independent game released by students of the DigiPen Institute of Technology; the original Narbacular Drop team is now employed at Valve"
Valve developed this game, they have no publisher, making them independent and the game an independently developed game.
Okay, I see what you're saying. Let us all stop and thank the Narbacular Drop team for the idea tho : )
Of course, I tip my hat to them!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Iron Lightning said:
gigastar said:
Well, 2 more days for me to wait because for some reason the rest of the world still doesnt get theese games at least at the same time as America.

Iron Lightning said:
So they made the puzzles easier, eh, that statement alone has pretty well curbed my enthusiasm for this new installment.
They very well might do so in the name of increasing "accessibility." You know how companies are about that sort of thing nowadays.
I think the rule was 'Bigger audience/Loyal audience'. Get used to it, or hunt down some certain pre-2007 Capcom games and enjoy the finger wrecking difficulty.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Iron Lightning said:
gigastar said:

Iron Lightning said:
Metcarfre said:
Queue immediate complaints that you 'didn't really play it' because this was the 360 version.
Zenode said:
I must ask, why review the 360 version of the game when its a primarily PC version, or even the new PS3 version to see how it stacks up?

OT: I expected the loading times thing because it happens with every Valve game
it begins

what's wrong with accessibility? i couldn't get into portal 1 because i just couldn't wrap my head around the way the physics and whatever worked. Besides, is anything wrong with more people just having fun with something?

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
Iron Lightning said:
gigastar said:

Iron Lightning said:
it begins

what's wrong with accessibility? i couldn't get into portal 1 because i just couldn't wrap my head around the way the physics and whatever worked. Besides, is anything wrong with more people just having fun with something?
...Well it wasn't that hard. I replayed through the main campaign with my 10 year old sister solving most of the puzzles while I did the tricky platforming. If you had trouble wrapping your head around the mechanics of the original Portal then you'll likely have even more trouble with this new installment because of the many new physics manipulating things. Which is why I said "accessibility," it's not really more accessible to newcomers but it is much less challenging. The two are not mutually exclusive, Galaga is very easy to get into but get a few levels deep and it's rather tricky.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Alex Berry said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
dtthelegend said:
whats with the "SCIENCE!" thing?
Dr. Insano, most likely. He helped turn SCIENCE! into a meme.
Let's not forget about Thomas Dolby.
Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto, you're beautiful!

OT: If he'd reviewed it on PC, I bet the loading times wouldn't have been an issue.