Portal 2 Review

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Well, I noticed the abundance of loading screens too. But I'm glad they aren't as long on the PC as they apparently are on the 360 version. They're probably there for 20 seconds max, and that might be exaggerating a bit (I didn't exactly time them). They don't last for minutes though, that's for sure.

Canadish said:
Money dear boy.
Valve doesn't strike me as the type of company to threaten/bribe a website for a good review.
EA does.
Really. Did you just say that here? Take a look around; this isn't IGN or GameSpot. This is the Escapist. Now please wait there and think about what you've said while I warm up the neurotoxin get the cake.

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
Metcarfre said:
Queue immediate complaints that you 'didn't really play it' because this was the 360 version.
To be fair, the reviewer seems to be reviewing the old one by reading the media rather than knowing anything about the game, so even playing a gimped version of this one is a step up. Indie darling? Like TF2 is an indie darling? Like HL2 is an indie darling?

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Portal 2 Review

The indie darling returns in a AAA sequel, but is it still good enough for science?

Read Full Article
You forgot to say it works on Macintosh as well in the "platforms", or do you see PC as Mac and Windows?

Anyhow, nice read. A shame that Portal 2 isn't as awesome as Portal 1, but then, you can't outdo absolute perfection. To bad my current machine can't run it.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
John Funk said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Metcarfre said:
Queue immediate complaints that you 'didn't really play it' because this was the 360 version.
What, thats not a fair complaint?

What if a person haqd based their Orange Box review on the Ps3 version, would that still have been fair?

There's a known difference in quality between the 360 and Ps3 & PC versions of this game, so wouldn't that mean a seperate review would be appropriate?
Zenode said:
I must ask, why review the 360 version of the game when its a primarily PC version, or even the new PS3 version to see how it stacks up?

OT: I expected the loading times thing because it happens with every Valve game
The PC version wouldn't have even unlocked until tonight. Valve sent out the 360 copy for review to get around that. Most reviews (at least, ones that coincide with launch) will be based around that.
Didn't the PC version unlock about 3 hours ago? (still not enough time for a launch date review I guess)
It would have been interesting to see a PS3 comparison considering valve were bagging out the PS3 up until the Portal 2 announcement.

Maybe a future article relating to the differences in the future, because im still tossing up between the PS3 and PC versions?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
John Funk said:
Canadish said:
Paragon Fury said:
Wait...so Portal 2 gets 4 stars, but DAII got 5 stars?

What the hell happened here?
Money dear boy.
Valve doesn't strike me as the type of company to threaten/bribe a website for a good review.
EA does.

Otherwise, the footage looks nice, might pick this one up.
I'll have a look at a few more reviews first though. Not sure I can trust the Escapist anymore for honest reviews.
Or, in a less paranoid world, how about the two were reviewed by different people who have different opinions on things, and we accept that there is no grand unifying objective scale of game development and what one person loves another person might find tiresome and vice versa.

The Escapist has never sold a review score or review in its half-decade of life. We certainly don't plan to start now.

(And, for the record, I'm loving Portal 2. There's that subjectivity at work).
Oooooh but...but...we love conspiracy theories!
Edit: They make us feel smart.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Thedutchjelle said:
You forgot to say it works on Macintosh as well in the "platforms", or do you see PC as Mac and Windows?
PC is Mac and Windows. PC is just an acronym for "personal computer", regardless of what Apple's terrible ad campaign tries to tell you. It was for YEARS before Apple started making those stupid commercials, and changing it just because they're snooty and only wait their computers to be referred to as "Macs" isn't going to fly (at least not with me).

Granted, I'm not in charge of the review. But if I was, that's what I would have meant by PC.

Zenode said:
Maybe a future article relating to the differences in the future, because im still tossing up between the PS3 and PC versions?
If you have a PS3, get it on PS3. PS3 copies will let you also get a PC copy to play as well (you just have to link up your Steam account to your PSN account, which is apparently only done on a PS3).

Just be aware that you can't play co-op between the free PC copy and the PS3 copy, as they are both tied to your Steam account, and you can't log into it from your PS3 and PC at the same time.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
It was a good review. And it was expected. And what I also expect once the sun comes up and everyone wakes up to read this, the thread will burst into flames because angry members of the Church of Freeman will be angry about two things:

1: It didn't get 5 stars. "Opinion" is a dirty word on the internet...

2: It was played on a console. They won't care if it was PS3 or 360, they will rage that it was on a console, period.

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
I am 2 cool 4 anime said:
HAHAHA you poor guys,I had beaten the game 2 days ago...Piracy
Uh... piracy is *really* looked down upon in this forum, I wouldn't be surprised if you got a few days ban for admitting to it so blatantly.

I'm halfway through (?) the game at the moment, it's been worth every dollar. Very funny, very fun, and there are quite a few jaw dropping moments already.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
NOTE: Not playing well across all platforms is a bad thing. It loses points.
How much room does Portal 2 take to install? 'Cos that seems to be an easy fix for loading.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
They seem to have borrowed the gel idea from a freeware game called TAG. worth a look if you haven't played it already.

SCIENCE!!!!

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
John Funk said:
Canadish said:
Paragon Fury said:
Wait...so Portal 2 gets 4 stars, but DAII got 5 stars?

What the hell happened here?
Money dear boy.
EA does.

Otherwise, the footage looks nice, might pick this one up.
I'll have a look at a few more reviews first though. Not sure I can trust the Escapist anymore for honest reviews.
Or, in a less paranoid world, how about the two were reviewed by different people who have different opinions on things, and we accept that there is no grand unifying objective scale of game development and what one person loves another person might find tiresome and vice versa.

The Escapist has never sold a review score or review in its half-decade of life. We certainly don't plan to start now.

(And, for the record, I'm loving Portal 2. There's that subjectivity at work).
Yay! Go John Funk! It gets annoying that just because something is successful and you have a different opinion that it means they're evil and sold out. especially since he has no proof and is making baseless accusations!

OT: I don't really care if the puzzles are easier, I'm mostly getting it for Valve's awesome sense of humour. :p

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
teknoarcanist said:
I installed the game to my 360, and it only takes about 5 seconds to load between levels.
I'm installing it to my hard drive straight away. It is joining Red Dead Redemption and Halo Reach in the awesome games that get installed to hard drive!

Nobody shun my love for Halo Reach. I was way too obsessed with the multiplayer for a time.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
Hmm, I might pick this one up and give it a go.

Oh and with all due respect: the entire "SCIENCE!" thing got annoying after the second time.

PS: I hope there's cake.

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
Indie game? I was under the impression that Indie meant "Independent". Like Solar or ancient trader... does Portal actually count as Indie?

So...
1st act is portal again
2nd act is cool
3rd act is cooler

Co-op is always awesome.

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
lithium.jelly said:
Alex Berry said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
dtthelegend said:
whats with the "SCIENCE!" thing?
Dr. Insano, most likely. He helped turn SCIENCE! into a meme.
Let's not forget about Thomas Dolby.
Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto, you're beautiful!

OT: If he'd reviewed it on PC, I bet the loading times wouldn't have been an issue.
They still would be.
I'm playing through it now, and there are a huge number of loading screens. Usually one between each test chamber.
On PC, chances are the loading times would be shorter, but no less numerous.