Prototype 2 Pits Mutated Hero Versus Mutated Hero

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Prototype 2 Pits Mutated Hero Versus Mutated Hero

[gametrailers=708351]

Activision has confirmed the development of Prototype 2, with a plotline that isn't what you might have expected.

Players of Activision's upcoming Prototype 2, officially announced in trailer form at the 2010 Spike TV Video Game Awards, will be murdering their maker Prototype [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105863-Murder-Your-Maker-Teaser-All-But-Confirmed-as-Prototype-Sequel] might become the villain in the sequel.

The trailer is narrated by Sergeant James Heller, who returns from war to Prototype's decimated New York Zero. The plague that tears through the city's population and changes people into monsters has resulted in the loss of Heller's family, so he decides to get revenge by killing as many of the transformed as he can.

Something happened to Heller while in NYZ and he was evidently injected with the same virus that transformed Prototype protagonist Alex Mercer into a people-absorbing shapeshifter. According to Heller, the virus was put into Heller by Alex Mercer himself, and now Heller vows to destroy his maker, i.e. Mercer.

The storyline seems like it has the makings of a big misunderstanding, but players will definitely be hunting Mercer for at least a portion of the game, if not all of it. Why Mercer would cause someone else to go through the same tribulations as he hasn't been revealed.

Prototype 2 resembles the original, but everything looks more detailed from this early trailer. Players will once again wield giant Gatling guns or pick up tanks and whirl them around while taking on the infected. It'll be out in 2012, so unless Infamous 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Infamous-2-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0GX88/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1292180290&sr=1-1], currently set for 2011, gets pushed back maybe it'll avoid comparison to the similar Sucker Punch series this time.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
multiplayer was originaly supposed to be in prototype but was cut because the developers ran out of time.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Maybe they realised that Alex was kinda a dick from the first game and instead of trying to keep him a 'good guy' they've made him into the kind of antagonist that doesn't realise they're actually playing the part of the villain.

Wolfpocalypse

Nov 18, 2009
yeah jesus it would be so unlike mercer to do something like that, he only does innocent things like street surfing on grannies!

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I saw actual gameplay in the trailer, so I'm happy with that.

It will be interesting to see what NEW powers Prototype 2 brings to the table.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
I was hoping that we'd get to play as Zeus versus Pariah, but I'll wait to see how it plays out. Either way, I'm excited.

Disaster Button said:
Maybe they realised that Alex was kinda a dick from the first game and instead of trying to keep him a 'good guy' they've made him into the kind of antagonist that doesn't realise they're actually playing the part of the villain.
Alex Mercer was an asshole, but you don't play as him in [Prototype]. That's the plot twist- you're just playing as the Blacklight virus itself after it replicated Alex Mercer. Mercer died in the beginning unleashing the virus on New York. So it's understandable that the virus' methods would be a little questionable, but it does eventually save the city, as becoming Mercer has helped humanize it.

Loud Hawk

Jun 8, 2009
Well seeing as we never played as Alex Mercer, we only played as his corpse after it had been reanimated by the Blacklight virus, so in Prototype one we were the virus.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Meh, can't say I'm drawn in by this. Prototype was fun, but I wonder how they'll manage to keep it fresh while using the exact same location from the first game. I also hope the powers will get tweaked, along with the targeting system, which was a ***** to work with.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I find it illogical that there still are people in that city. I mean, ok in the first game, shit just had gotten real, but by now, you wouldn't thnik there still are taxus riding arouund, would you?

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
an interesting plot choice. im definitely stoked to see how it turns out. i liked Mercer, so i hope we don´t have to kill him.

i hope for multiplayer/co-op tho.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Does anyone else think that it's kinda pathetic how console developers milk their horribly aged engines für sequels? This trailer could have been for prototype one, for god's sake. Even the plot seems to be the same as in the first one (Go, kill your maker).

Why is this a second game if there is zero innovation to it?

Edit: World of Warcrafts Engine is ten years old and they still can squeeze stuff out of it that amazes. How old is prototype one? Three years max? Why can't they do anything innovative with it that doesn't look exaclty like the previous one?

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Weird. I figured the sequel would either be to do with Alex's sister Dana (Greene turned her then you never see her again) or PARIAH. This new guy looks cool though so I'm happy enough with that.

Couldn't help but notice that the gameplay only shows your character with his armour up. So you could still be Alex...

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
Danzaivar said:
Weird. I figured the sequel would either be to do with Alex's sister Dana (Greene turned her then you never see her again) or PARIAH. This new guy looks cool though so I'm happy enough with that.

Couldn't help but notice that the gameplay only shows your character with his armour up. So you could still be Alex...
It seemed to show two different people like that. Just with slightly different colour changes.(Red/Blue.)

Or maybe I'm just crazy.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Exterminas said:
Does anyone else think that it's kinda pathetic how console developers milk their horribly aged engines für sequels? This trailer could have been for prototype one, for god's sake. Even the plot seems to be the same as in the first one (Go, kill your maker).

Why is this a second game if there is zero innovation to it?

Edit: World of Warcrafts Engine is ten years old and they still can squeeze stuff out of it that amazes. How old is prototype one? Three years max? Why can't they do anything innovative with it that doesn't look exaclty like the previous one?
PC snob/troll is snob/troll.

OT: This looks pretty damn interesting. I can imagine an awesome boss fight or against Mercer. It's always sweet to fight against an enemy who's pretty much your opposite.

Also, did anyone else think Dante/Nero when they watched the trailer or was it just me?

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Did anyone else notice the Inception sound throughout the trailer?

Also, sweeeet.