Prototype 2 Pits Mutated Hero Versus Mutated Hero

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Hold on, why does it take place in NYC again? If I remember correctly, once you beat the game the credits have overlaying audio which basically states that the infection was evantually destroyed and the city is being rebuilt, so why would there still be infected?

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
"Prototype 2 resembles the original, but everything looks more detailed from this early trailer."

Yeah it's a trick they pulled for the first game and then in the last stage of development the textures became washed out and the polycount dropped.

Compare 2007: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/950254/prototype/images/prototype-20070820033237258.html

With 2008: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/950254/prototype/images/prototype-screens-20080328111800540.html

The final version of Mercer seems to be not much of an improvement on the place-holder. I definitely don't like the skinny one either but that's just me.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I'm with CliffyB on this one. I always thought that Alex Mercer was pretty evil anyway so I guess Activision is running with it.

Speaking of which, I still hate Activision, but I'm going to buy this game anyway... I can't resist. At least maybe if I buy it, they'll make more like it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ugh. Jesus bloody Christ. That was as corny as a... um... as a very corny thing.

"I am a returning soldier. I have lost everything. I have nothing to lose. I have nothing to live for... except revenge."

In the name of decent writing, give me a break.

Then again, this is Prototype after all. Expecting some degree of cleverness or subtlety is probably an exercise in futility.

Oh well, at least the people behind this game seem to have recognised that Mercer is a unrelatable dick and have relegated him to the role of villain. That's a step in the right direction... right? Although, as the OP suggests, no doubt it will turn out that he's just misunderstood and then Mercer and the new kid team up against a greater evil etc etc.

Lastly, storyline wise, I suspect the reason Mercer would inject other people with his virus would be to spread the truth of the events of the first game by lending out his memories and those of all the people he ate.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I liked Alex, even though his personality was everywhere at some points. He was an interesting enough protagonist, and I hope we don't have to kill him.
Either way, this looks fun. I had lots of fun with the first game.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
zombie711 said:
multiplayer was originaly supposed to be in prototype but was cut because the developers ran out of time.
The developers ran out of time on finishing most of the game.

I looked forward to it, but after playing it a bit, I was glad I didn't buy it, or even rent it.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
A lot of people complained about the graphics in the first Prototype. I didn't mind the graphics at all. The screen was always filled with pedestrians, monsters, cars, tanks, helicopters and explosions and the game never dropped under 60 fps. I loved that. The most important part of visuals for me are the animations. Prototype had some nice animations. Not the most realistic animations but animations that kinda fit the atmosphere and the gameplay. So I wont be disappointed if the graphics remain the same.

Viking Incognito

Master Headsplitter
Nov 8, 2009
I know this makes me sound like a whining child but COME ON! Who the hell is this guy? Did the developers think Alex wasn't good enough or something? Geez, between this, Infamous, and Devil May Cry, the main characters of sequels to games I like are pissing me off.

EDIT: NEVER MIND, I WAS INCORRECT ABOUT INFAMOUS.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Quaxar said:
Actually I don't need too much new stuff, just general polishing with a bunch of new features would be enough.
Uh... what?

I smell self-contradiction.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
I'm so looking forward to this, but I'm afraid that they tease us with that "kill Alex" and then, at some point, they join forces against another foe, ala Sesame Street.

I can only hope for good improvements in the gameplay department, as for the story, I give up until I learn something that can make me change my mind.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Looks interesting and similar to the soundtrack of Inception. Strange way of advancing the story though...

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
i came
i saw
i was disappointed...

i REALLY wish this took place in a place that WASN'T New York, because i really think they're going to have to either step away from the Sandbox gameplay in favor of being more like God of War (since what's the point of exploring a dead city?) or it's going to rely too much on multiplayer to supplement its lack of content

i LOVE prototype. it's honestly the best game i have played in years, but... this looks like its pointless...

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Sounds a little...sequel-y.

And not 'game' sequel-y, either. Very 'movie' sequel-y.

...Sequel-y.

That's fun to say. :D

chaostheory

May 14, 2008
Dreey said:
WHY are civilians still living in NYC?!?!?
So you have people to eat for health and recreation.

OT
Considering Prototypes premise are we even sure it was actually Alex who gave him the virus? It could just be another shapeshifter pretending to be Alex.

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
It kind of looks like just more of the same. So this probably isn't for me even though I had some fun with the first one.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Sounds cool, maybe it'll be dual perspective like in Halo 2 with the Arbiter and Masterchief.

Or maybe it will flat out just make this new guy the protagonist and Mercer the full on villain, even though he did kind of redeem himself at the end he was still kind of a dick afterall.

I don't know for sure, but it looks awesome either way.
I hope the gameplay stays the same, they just need to improve the missions a bit.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
*Sqeeeee* Ive always wanted to hunt the hero of a video game in a video game!
Its like a dream come true! And i cant wait to see all the new ways to destroy the entire city again! ((as if Alex didnt put the world through enough trama))

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Sennz0r said:
Meh, can't say I'm drawn in by this. Prototype was fun, but I wonder how they'll manage to keep it fresh while using the exact same location from the first game. I also hope the powers will get tweaked, along with the targeting system, which was a ***** to work with.
an maybe make some side missions that are fun.
That too, but I didn't feel like being one of those people who makes a list of everything that should be changed :p

Also the whole hive destruction thing. What a drag... okay, that was the last one.