Prototype 2 Pits Mutated Hero Versus Mutated Hero

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Disaster Button said:
Maybe they realised that Alex was kinda a dick from the first game and instead of trying to keep him a 'good guy' they've made him into the kind of antagonist that doesn't realise they're actually playing the part of the villain.
^This, hope so cause Alex is a proper dickhead. Then again, that would put the restrictions on the new protagonist to not do the same shit, which kinda makes your health recovering pool of targets smaller. Admittedly though I barely ever ate humans, only zombies and military so should be fine, but not sure how exactly you can restrict it within the gameplay.

What I'm mostly interested in though is - are we going to New York again? Cause I'd really hate to see the same city twice, don't get me wrong, Prototype one was good (though in need of a graphical update), but throwing us into the same place will make the sequel infinitely less fun considering those who enjoyed the original mostly spent their time dicking around (hence a different story not being enough to justify a sequel in the same place)

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
The storyline seems like it has the makings of a big misunderstanding, but players will definitely be hunting Mercer for at least a portion of the game, if not all of it. Why Mercer would cause someone else to go through the same tribulations as he hasn't been revealed.
I hope you're right. I can't wait for the game, but I'm already bummed that my objective is "Kill Alex Mercer". I already did enough of that unintentionally on my way to completing Prototype 1 on hard more, I don't want to do it again. :(

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Calling it now; we'll be in New York for only the first part of the game (tutorial, much?), and spend the rest of the time chasing after Mercer in whatever city he goes to for the sake of hunting down Pariah, OR playing as Mercer during his hunt, OR both in a dualing-storyline mini-Heavy Rain scenario. Dana Mercer WILL reappear, either as support or as an adversary, depending on who you play as. Mercer will start off looking like he's gone off the deep end, but given by the end of the last game he was willing to sacrifice himself to save the maximum number of people, odds are that won't stick, regardless of how dickishly any of us originally played him or interpreted his character to be.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Whoooo! Finally! More dicking around with mutable spiny powers! And, while they seem to consistently stick to the instant grab bag of tropes, moving from "Amnesia" into what seems like "Misunderstanding", it still could be as good as the first. It's not like there will be any really big twists coming. Though I was hoping for more Mercer, with better control of his powers.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
poiuppx said:
Calling it now; we'll be in New York for only the first part of the game (tutorial, much?), and spend the rest of the time chasing after Mercer in whatever city he goes to for the sake of hunting down Pariah, OR playing as Mercer during his hunt, OR both in a dualing-storyline mini-Heavy Rain scenario. Dana Mercer WILL reappear, either as support or as an adversary, depending on who you play as. Mercer will start off looking like he's gone off the deep end, but given by the end of the last game he was willing to sacrifice himself to save the maximum number of people, odds are that won't stick, regardless of how dickishly any of us originally played him or interpreted his character to be.
Wait...he hadn't gone off the deep end yet? Hrm. Odd. I'll have to go kill more random yet specifically targeted civilians. Not even after running down hundreds in a tank, grinning like mad? Or strafing a single busy street with a helicopter? Or playing catch with a hydra? Damn, he'll have to really step it up.

Nateman742

Jul 21, 2009
The main character here is one of the antagonists from the first game. That general with one arm. I can't tell if The Escapist didn't catch that, or were just avoiding spoilers.

It isn't clear whether or not Mercer consumes him. He does end up in the Web of Intrigue, implying that he was eaten, but he also says, "I'm the only one with the codes to disarm this bomb," and at the end of the game Mercer just tosses the bomb in the ocean instead of disarming it.

Also nobody else saw that Mercer was just an image made by the virus? I thought that was the entire draw of the character: You're not really Mercer, but the virus with Mercer's will imprinted on it because he was the first of that strain to be infected. Kind of like that mercenary guy that you end up fighting in the end was the first contact of his own strain. I think the amnesia was a defense mechanism to keep Mercer's will from self-destructing before it infected others around the city.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
BehattedWanderer said:
poiuppx said:
Wait...he hadn't gone off the deep end yet? Hrm. Odd. I'll have to go kill more random yet specifically targeted civilians. Not even after running down hundreds in a tank, grinning like mad? Or strafing a single busy street with a helicopter? Or playing catch with a hydra? Damn, he'll have to really step it up.
It's Prototype. Given the characters in that game, doing all that puts you at about average in terms of morality.

Nov 24, 2010
I want to play as Mercer. He was an asshole but he was fucking awesome. I liked the idea of playing as someone with intelligence (at least he used to be intelligent) unlike the grunt we will be playing as now. BTW is that confirmed? It could be a deception.