Psychonauts Creator Ready to Make Sequel

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Only if they use the same graphics engine. I don't want some sort of half-assed failure. Liked the origional game, and the graphics fit with the gameplay style and underlying humor. etc.

I'd say: bring it on. But the bar's been set pretty high. Small chance for it ever to ascend to new levels.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
octafish said:
I hope this doesn't happen. Some games are so good they don't need sequels. Psychonauts is one Planescape: Torment is another, Deus Ex is a third. Sequels will only tarnish the memory.
Tim Schafer is a man who knows what he is doing. Double Fine is a company who collectively are insanely good at what they do. The Psychonauts universe in one brimming with endless potential; I mean, it doesn't have to be a direct sequel. Can you imagine a Psychonauts game in which you play as, like, an actual professional psychonaut? It'd be like Inception on crack.

Bad sequels tarnish the memory, not just sequels (fullstop) - and even this isn't true of all. I mean, we can all sweep away the craphole that is the new Star Wars material - we can survive bad sequels to videogames.

Psychonauts was a great concept and was critically acclaimed, but never got the true popularity it deserved. If any game deserved a second chance at big-time AAA fame, Psychonauts is it.

LtWiesel

Jul 26, 2010
nah, Psychonauts works perfectly fine without a sequel.

I don't need Hamlet 2 or a sequel to the phonebook...there are thing, that just stand on its own.

Bayushi_Kouya

Mar 31, 2009
Sequel, remake, HD 'reimagining,' I could not give less of a squeaky fart. More Psychonauts, please. It's been SO long since I played a game that didn't lose anything by having a T-rating.

In my dreams, however, it's twenty-thirty years later and Raz is now in charge of the camp.

Jul 13, 2010
therandombear said:
Both Psychonauts and Brutal Legend may have had bad sales, but both are very good.

Maybe Shafer should get activision to back him up....just kidding, keep as far away from activision as possible mr. Shafer =)
He did, at first, have Activison's backing on Brutal Legend, but they dropped the game when they decided it would not make enough money. They then tried to block EA from releasing it instead.

Feb 13, 2008
Andy of Comix Inc said:
I mean, we can all sweep away the craphole that is the new Star Wars material - we can survive bad sequels to videogames.
But not all of the new Star Wars material is crap. The prequels are, but some of the expanded universe - and things like TROOPS are as awesome.

And Schafer, unlike Burton, has a wide wide wide variety of tools at his disposal. Just like the Milkman. (Though if Boyd is in it, I'd pre-order now)

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
uro vii said:
therandombear said:
Both Psychonauts and Brutal Legend may have had bad sales, but both are very good.

Maybe Shafer should get activision to back him up....just kidding, keep as far away from activision as possible mr. Shafer =)
He did, at first, have Activison's backing on Brutal Legend, but they dropped the game when they decided it would not make enough money. They then tried to block EA from releasing it instead.
I know, that was my "joke" in the post and what I wrote last, "keep it far away from activision" ;)

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
But not all of the new Star Wars material is crap. The prequels are, but some of the expanded universe - and things like TROOPS are as awesome.)
Okay, I just meant the prequels and Clone Wars. Sometimes the games reach insanely lofty heights.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Psychonauts + Activision = Psychonauts: Black Ops?

I wish I had basic Photoshop skills, so I could paste Raz's face on the cover of Black Ops...

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
someone to back it up?

I'll back it up my damn self, and I'd sell my own damn innards if I have to ^-^

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Tim Schafer is a guy who doesn't make commercial successes. He makes awesome games that become cult hits. That's his style, and that's how his games are seen by the public. So I am fully in support of Psychonauts 2, but it'll be tough for him to find a publisher unless that publisher is willing to risk losing money, at least in the short term. Either way, I hope this game does get made, because Schafer is still a legend in the industry and he does indeed make a sweet-ass game... :D

Zinkraptor

Oct 25, 2010
I don't really understand why people think that Psychonauts shouldn't have a sequel.

I mean, each mind was basically its own story anyway. That fact alone gives it a lot of sequel potential.

ungothicdove

Nov 30, 2007
This game sucked!! Where was all the killing! I just wanted to kill stuff but they didn't give me an awesome gun to blow people up and had like story and stuff! Really slowed the whole like, game down. Way too original and witty to be a good game, they should have made it more like Halo!

On a serious note, I would be excited for a new game, I just hope they could make something worthy. This game was special indeed.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I bought this off Steam and still haven't played it yet... Personally, I'd rather have a Brutal Legend sequel that was less to zero RTS and more hack'n'slash... :/

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
all he needs to do is ask EA they would publish anything xD

I Would have said Activision Blizzard but I wouldnt like to Pay and refuse to pay ?59.99 for a game (Yea im calling you out black ops)

If it comes to pass it would be great though