Question of the Day, August 12, 2010

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Did somebody get that list from the entirety of their kid's collection? Godzilla and Gundam aren't franchises known for being... how do you say... good, let alone being influential.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
this is actually a list of games that changed gaming that we never think of.

should really change the poll to include that this is the list of games we never think of when we think of changing games but actually did a lot to change gaming today.

other games have changed gaming more we all know that this isn't a list for them

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
Federation vs. Zeon on the list? There is a God. Best Gundam game ever.

Also I like how few people have realized that these are the top eight games that have changed gaming without you realizing it. They're not supposed to be incredibly popular titles. So Mario, SF2, etc. are automatically omitted from the list.

MasterV

Aug 9, 2010
Changed gaming? None. However ANimal Crossing was a family friendly open ended game and Pikmin spawned Overlord so there.

cybran

Jun 15, 2010
mattaui said:
Ah, I'll do a write-in on this one: World of Warcraft!
WoW was kmade from Everquest, so you can say Everquest made the MMORPG genre, WoW just perfected it.

And where is Half Life?? .. or "anything by Valve"

Your once and future Fanboy

The Norwegian One
Feb 11, 2009
Disgaea all the way.
Inspiring several jrpg franchises, being one of the first games with really awesome voice acting and characters that you will love.
The battles relied on both skills in rpg and rts, you have to power up your team while you must find the best possible strategy for each encounter.
it was so good that i spawned its own animated series, i recommend checking out both.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Dune 2
cloned mercilessly after a mega hit and so created the entire RTS genre.

Ultima Online
got everyone else on the MMO bandwagon.

Doom
needs no explanation.

The list in the poll is shit. Nothing remotely influential in there.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
uppitycracker said:
chstens said:
Come on, guys, am I really the only one to google the article and read up on why they chose these games?

Here you go, you lazy bums http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5580234/8_video_games_that_changed_gaming_without.html?cat=19
i made it about halfway through that article, but it's so misinformed, i couldn't continue on. i don't understand how it seems to think that these games were inspirations for others mentioned, especially when half of them weren't the first in the genre to do said things, nor were any of them even close to the best for their time in the fields described.
I'm not saying the article is right, I'm just linking to it. I disagree with it as well.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Fable 2 partially because i never played any of the others (except pikmin) but also because its very different.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
If I have to choose just ONE of those instead of an "other" option, which I'd rather have, I'll go with Fable II...

What? It's fun as hell to shoot them in the crotch and at their head afterwards.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Fable 2, maybe it will inspire fable 3 to be good and be worth more than one play through? I love the basic idea, it just needs some umph to back it up. (also more player choices and consequences for ones actions would help)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
None of them to be honest. Had Robotron 2084 been there, then that game considering MANY games have been based on that recently. Geometry Wars, Alien Swarm, Alien Breeed, Alien Shooter, Stardust HD. That game I believe was the game to invent the two stick aiming.