Question of the Day, July 3, 2010

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Neither answer is satisfactory. I don't see PC gaming reigning supreme however, it will not be going away any time soon. There will always be some form of gaming to be had on the PC even if it isn't the most appreciated or most critically acclaimed

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Dr. Awesome Face said:

someone had to post it.

And no PC gaming is not dying. Its just not getting quite as much support at the mo
damn it ninja'd

OT: Gahh I though the staff would be smart enough not to ask this question or at the very least give more options then it rulz or it blowz.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Kalezian said:
Nincompoop said:
Fail question.

If anything, consoles are growing more and more to look like the PC. The future will have a single kind of console, which obviously will look like the PC, since it's used to everything. The simplistic nature of the console is what makes it inferior.
a piece of technology that is made for a singular reason that devotes the entirety of its processes to nothing BUT one program is inferior?
Yes, that makes it inferior. The key today is versatility. Only people with a shit load of money buy stuff for only one purpose.

An example of how people like versatility are smart phones. They can play music, take pictures and browse the net and obviously a lot more. You don't see a lot of people with smart phones AND an mp3player AND a cheap camera AND a GPS or something.

I actually bought my PS3 because it can also play movies. I wouldn't have bought it, as just to play games (and only on a console) wasn't worth the money.

PS. It's not just that the PS3's processor only devotes it's power to games. It can't do much else. The reason it can have so many cores at that speed compared to the cost and size is because it is a simple design. There's no way that processor could run anything like Windows or Mac.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Microsoft needs to save the PC because its is monopolized platform. And could start by trying to make a less bugged windows and solutions to make all games compatible with any system and not the nightmare it is at the moment.

Also could make windows compatible with old games. How come I have a game that worked fine on windows 98/2000/millenium and doesnt work on windows XP/Vista/7?! They have that compatibility tool but it always failed to work for me. So go back to the drawing room Microsoft.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
These polls need some serious work - they always feel so rushed and poorly made, with two opposing extremes often being the only options available.

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
Hell no PC gaming ain't dying. Hell i just got back from a LAN party, and it was excellent.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
In no way is PC dying - it still has multiple upcoming exclusives, unlike the Xbox360. While the PS3 seems to be beating the 360 now in games, despite the whole 'PS3 HAS NO GAEMZ.'

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
So we're actively trying to start flame wars now?

Not only is this about a subject that makes a lot of pc gamers upset, there are only two very extreme options in the poll, and it's been very clearly established by the community here that we don't want threads like this.

Oh, but this is featured content, so of course it's all good. I'll let March Mayhem slip, as you at least benefit from it, but this isn't some big thing that draws traffic, people don't wait sleeplessly for a new Question of the Day to arrive, nobody rewrites their schedule just so they can be first to give their opinion in the poll. Yet it's allowed to make a thread about a subject that would be shot down by every member on this site had it not been featured content.

For a feature that wants to involve the community, it's not very involved in the community.

CovertCell

Nov 4, 2009
Not at all. All the games I want for the rest of this year are on PC. Only console release that I want is Gears 3. I haven't touched my consoles in a month.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
I don't think it's top nor do I think it's going the way of the Dinosaur.

I don't really use my PC for gaming other than for quick games on Warcraft 3, Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper so.

I just use my PC for the Internet and the consoles for gaming really.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Christemo said:
if Microsoft wants to do jack shit about PC gaming, they better the fuck reboot Ensemble. and Epic hasnt done a thing for the PC community but re-release Gears of War 1 for PC. they shouldnt even try to make friends with the PC community as they havent released a good PC game since UT3.
UT3 was a good PC game? Which memo did I miss?

They have bulletstorm coming out though, but that looks like a console game with an afterthought PC port the most likely result.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Nincompoop said:
Yes, that makes it inferior. The key today is versatility. Only people with a shit load of money buy stuff for only one purpose.

An example of how people like versatility are smart phones. They can play music, take pictures and browse the net and obviously a lot more. You don't see a lot of people with smart phones AND an mp3player AND a cheap camera AND a GPS or something.

I actually bought my PS3 because it can also play movies. I wouldn't have bought it, as just to play games (and only on a console) wasn't worth the money.

PS. It's not just that the PS3's processor only devotes it's power to games. It can't do much else. The reason it can have so many cores at that speed compared to the cost and size is because it is a simple design. There's no way that processor could run anything like Windows or Mac.
The PS3 can run Linux quite nicely though (even the US Airforce uses them that way, as they're a cheap way to make a "super computer"), recently Sony "patched" the option to install an OS other than the PS3's native one, but they're facing quite the class-action law-suit over it now.

The reason it can't run Windows or MacOS is simply because of it's core architecture. IBM Cell chips are pure x64, the 2 mentioned OS need some x86 compatibility to function even on their 64-bit versions. Linux and Unix however work quite nicely on Cell chips, as they don't necessarily need x86 commands to work, pure x64 works fine for them.

Cells aren't exactly a simple design, IBM uses them quite a bit in their high-end server line, they are extraordinarily powerful out-of-order processors, however they are a pain in the rear to programme for because of their pure x64 architecture, hardly anyone uses that and experienced programmers for it are as a result a lot harder to find.

Most software is written for x86 style CPUs, with perhaps a little x64 thrown in (everything since the AMD Athlon and Pentium I CPUs has had x64 capability to some extent, but the software needed to be compatible with the older stuff).

I'm an almost exclusive PC gamer (I own a DS, that's the only console I've ever had and I'm 29), PC gaming is nice and healthy, although the very existence of lazy console ports make me sad.
There are plenty of good games for PC though, even if many of them are ports. When properly executed a console port will generally provide a better experience on PC (unless the game really favours controllers, and even that is easy to compensate for with a wired Xbox controller). We still get plenty of exclusives, but they're more restricted in genre these days or they are from smaller developers.

OtakuNinja

May 25, 2010
223,176 In-Game | 1,602,629 Online (steam at time of post 10:12 in the morning)

so no its not, thats quite a few people if you ask me

why do people post these threads?

Levitas1234

Oct 28, 2009
Jaranja said:
Nivag the Owl said:
Hell to the no! PC Gaming is the past, the present, and the future. Not to mention awesome.
End of.

PC's are the best for FPS and RTS and that's a lot of the gaming population.
and rpgs, and puzzle games.

Consoles are only good at survival horror, everything else on consoles is loaded with auto aim and assisters to combat the clunky controls of a joystick.