Question of the Day, July 3, 2010

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
PC gaming is far from dead, although mainstream AAA titles arr[e becoming more console-centric. It's true that PC gaming is not what it used to be.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Timbydude said:
The only question is whether or not there will actually be any original PC games or if they'll all just be ports.
If you have to ask that question, it shows your ignorance in the indie scene.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
As usual, two extremes, no middle ground.
PC gaming is neither dying, nor does it reign supreme, it's sitting somewhere in the middle really, alongside consoles.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Plus, a console costs less than a high-end gaming rig
The console may cost vastly less, but everyone always seems to forget to factor in the cost of a quality HDTV and speaker system. Oh, then there's the fact that all of your games cost 10 dollars extra which adds up over time (or more, Transformers: War for Cybertron only cost me 40 dollars new and yet cost console gamers 60). You wanted extra functionality for your console? There's a subscription fee for that. Then of course the general fact that you'll still need a computer laying around for all the stuff your console can't do.

Meanwhile I'm rocking a single, do it all god box. The costs kinda balances out in the end once you actually sit down and think about it.

DISCLAIMER: While I am primarily a PC gamer, I do have a complete console gaming setup loaded with the Wiistation 360.

deth2munkies said:
PC > Console. Always has been, always will be. Consoles are just single function PCs with no depth or range.
Bring on the singularity. I'm guessing that when the next wave of consoles do come out, they'll be even closer to being more like desktops. Granted, they'll be more locked down than an Apple product, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next batch of consoles come complete with mouse and keyboard and vastly expanded functionality.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Delusibeta said:
Timbydude said:
The only question is whether or not there will actually be any original PC games or if they'll all just be ports.
If you have to ask that question, it shows your ignorance in the indie scene.
But if the platform is all indie games, I don't really consider that to be a "living" platform. That means that every publisher has abandoned the PC. That, to me, is its death.

We very well might have different definitions of what "the death of PC gaming" actually means.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Banana Phone Man said:
PC gaming is not dead at all. Console gaming is just more popular becuase it's easier. You don't have to make sure a console has has the specs to handle a game, you just plug it in and go. That's in my opinion anyway.
You also have to remember consoles are getting hyped more and are cheaper(individually).

elexis said:
It will die if all the big releases are just Console clones designed for consoles and not PC's. PC's have one thing consoles don't: RAM. Lots and lots of it. With ram we can have endless variety in our games, instead of copy/paste scenery. If we have big, diverse games on the pc then people might just start coming back from console land.
Actually, even then that isn't necessarily true. Buying a gaming computer is cheaper than buying the consoles. You can buy a decent gaming computer for about $800 (I am including things like keyboard, monitor, speakers, etc) if you know where to look. Buying all the consoles (upon their release) will set you back at least $900. At that point you still "need" to buy additional controllers, a tv (granted you can spend $20 on it but would you really want to play games on that thing?), a subscription to online service if you want (as well as internet), etc.

Mar 16, 2009
PC gaming is losing steam, but having spent all my gaming time on League of Legends for the past six months I have to side that it is far from dead.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
I answered reigns supreme but that's not really a good option.

I don't have a lot of money to toss around for a gaming computer. I know I can make a good one for about 500-700 but I dont have that at all.

I play as many games as I can on the computer I have: TF2, Half-Life 1&2, Medieval 2, Rome:Total War, max payne, Deus Ex, Audiosurf, Aquaria, World of Goo, various mmos

But I have a Xbox as well, something that cost me a one time $300 for 5 to 7 years without much maintenance(I do clean the fans, keeps the red ring away) and it works out fine.

I think both PC and console have a part to play. Sometimes I want a slightly richer experience, and sometimes I want to kick back with a couch and a controller. It works well.

Btw my current comp is an HP laptop with 3 GB DDR2 ram and an Nvidia 7150m graphics onboard chip set with An AMD dual core...not exactly the ideal game rig but hey, its meant to be for college. Wish i could upgrade to at least an 8800 card though.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Nivag the Owl said:
Hell to the no! PC Gaming is the past, the present, and the future. Not to mention awesome.
Sorry to say sadly, but no.
Have you been to your local game store lately? Check out the PC section compared to the consoles section. It's fucking disgusting...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
With Starcraft 2 coming out, no its not dying. In fact its going pretty damn well

riotwraith

May 27, 2010
What is the deal with these questions never having an answer suitable for me?

No. PC gaming is obviously not dead if you just look at the amount of games being released on the platform every single day, and that's not even considering the mass of casual gaming the internet has become. But to say that it reigns supreme is just as stupid when you see how well the console market is doing, or even that there is a console market.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I think it just became very apparent that the person who writes these questions does not read the forums.

Anyways, as tempting as it is to go all, "PC Master race" (Consoles have fanboys, and PC gaming is ignored enough that PC Gamers actually have something to prove), I have to say that neither of these options is the case. PC gaming is healthy, though not as lucrative as consoles. It's an excellent testing ground for new game ideas, and the place to be for modders and indie devs. And it's still profitable. It's still just a choice of platforms, with its own set of strengths and weaknesses, but it is also the most different of all the major, non-hand-held platforms. I find it to be the best, but many don't. But they are all legitimate.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Suuuure its dying.
All you have to do is look at the graph on Steam that tells you how many players are online. It goes up and down between 1 and 2 million people at different times. And thats just people who are using Steam and using it online at the time.

I'd say it's anything but dead. Look at Furburt's comment on the first page for better wording, but the indie scene is huge, the mod scene is huge, it's just that consoles are more accessible atm which is where the big titles are released.

TBH, as long as Sega and the Cr.A. keep up the Total War series, PC gaming is gonna stay alive in my house.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
If 'Epic' and 'Microsoft' are the ones that will 'Save PC-gaming', then we are all truly doomed.