Question of the Day, July 3, 2010

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
i'll start playing PC when my computer and internet connection stop being worthless assholes.
pieces of sh*t.

Randomologist

Aug 6, 2008
I don't think PC gaming is dying, but it's not reigning supreme either. I do think that consoles, having more compact controls, are usually better for most games; but genres like RTS games and MMORPGs are far better on a PC, there's a lot of functionality and a keyboard is a good way to utilise it. Not only this, but a computer integrates with the Internet much more smoothly. I think it's here to stay for a while.

On the note of consoles having more compact controls; if they start moving away from this in favour of motion-sensing controls, maybe some will switch to PCs, which use good old buttons. Personally, I cant see the appeal in moving my arm around several feet, not when I can move my finger an inch in a fraction of the time. Surely, most games need good reflexes?

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
PC gaming is fine for now, but several AAA developers seem to have abandoned it. The most troublesome fact of all though is that, for the first time ever in the history of gaming, PC is not the platform where the innovations take place. That's consoles and handhelds. And we all know that innovation costs billions, and those billions are not lightly spent without predetermined long term plans. I believe that in 10 years PC gaming will be on life support. Not yet though.

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
As much as I love it and still play games on the PC, the majority of players now prefer consoles to play online with, but until they make good MMO's and RTS's on consoles PC gaming will still live on.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Its far from dead, but I'm not gonna say that it has my universal acceptance. I still prefer to play on the Console, but even I believe that PC gaming has some merit and probably won't burn out for a while.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
i'll start playing PC when my computer and internet connection stop being worthless assholes.
pieces of sh*t.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Nincompoop said:
Fail question.

If anything, consoles are growing more and more to look like the PC. The future will have a single kind of console, which obviously will look like the PC, since it's used to everything. The simplistic nature of the console is what makes it inferior.
You under estimate them. I predict the XC and the PSC. They have special disk drives, software and other features to make sure you can only play Xbox, PS3, etc. games. Not a happy future, but IMO possible.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Biased poll is biased. This is clearly lacking in middle ground. PC gaming isn't dead or dying, but it isn't reigning supreme either.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
The one way PC gaming will die will be through the rampant piracy that plagues it. It's just so easy to pirate games on PC that I've had friends that use it as a sort of rental system to see if they want to purchase the full game or not! Steam is probably the best method to fight piracy and even it gets fooled some of the time.

Why, as a developer, would I want to release a PC exclusive game if there's such a high risk that I'll end up losing money because pirates are stealing my game?

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
W...Wha...t
This question amounts to nothing more than a Versus thread. Not only that, but one that I'm pretty sure would get someone on probation, for the Troll potential.
Now, Escapist staff... I personally don't really mind these questions, but are you TRYING to start a fight? I predict 17 pages.
EDIT: Actually, I'll take that back. The wording is mild enough to avoid most trollin'. Still, risky area.

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
This poll is dumb. It needs a 'it's just the same as ever/neither dying nor the best thing since sex' option. I vote for that.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
What, no "It's not dying, but it doesn't reign supreme either" option? I'm disappointed.

So yeah, it's not dead, but I don't think it reigns supreme.

JIst00

Nov 11, 2009
Lol, that question is a ridiculous. Ofc its not dead, look at all the MMO's, TF2 and god knows what else that are PC only games which draw millions of players from around the world.

liveslowdiefast

Jan 17, 2010
Look, everything consoles do PC's did before it is the innovator, I.E hulu, last FM, MMO's & much more and yes not all them were gaming example's but still came from PC's. secondly many games i find are better with a mouse, such as all FPS's, the GTA series & stratagy games.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
The Escapist Staff said:
Question of the Day, July 3, 2010

Epic and Microsoft have claimed that it has not abandoned the PC, and it will save PC gaming, respectively. Do you think PC gaming is a lost cause?

I call bait question.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Silver Patriot said:
Nincompoop said:
Fail question.

If anything, consoles are growing more and more to look like the PC. The future will have a single kind of console, which obviously will look like the PC, since it's used to everything. The simplistic nature of the console is what makes it inferior.
You under estimate them. I predict the XC and the PSC. They have special disk drives, software and other features to make sure you can only play Xbox, PS3, etc. games. Not a happy future, but IMO possible.
The systems themselves will look more like the PC. The DRM and exclusive rights may, however, invite difficult situations.
Here's to hoping this DRM/Exclusive sh*t will end!