Question of the Day, May 2, 2010

purplegothchick

Mar 19, 2009
I know a few people have already said it, but I loved Okami, I'd recommend that to someone if I was trying to convince them that games can be art.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
I chose other and I'm too lazy to read all the comments but the game that comes most to my mind for "arty" is Planescape: Torment.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
My other is - The Saboteur. It's pretty darn arty if you ask me. But not overly so.... im probs gonna get called out on this anyway.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Braid is painfully overrated if you ask me, especially as far as "artiness" goes. I'm glad Portal is the most popular choice.

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
portal, since SH2 scared the crap out of me and i just didn't play a whole lot of braid.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I would make him/her play Muramasa:The Demon Blade and Metroid Prime.

Both take Atmosphere, a Wonderful Soundtrack, Environments, and the games Creatures and blend them into an amazing experience.

Rand-m

Feb 8, 2009
My vote would definitely go to Flower, with Heavy Rain in a close second. Flower is B-E-A-UTIFUL, and Heavy Rain is the best example of a narrative in game form.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Why isent Okami ever on the poll for an artistic game? that game was nothing short of amazing in both gameplay and graphics.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
I voted Braid, but there are a lot of games worthy of being called art. Either because of the artwork, graphics or story. Like this [http://www.kongregate.com/games/2DArray/viricide] little game I just played on Kongregate. You wouldn't expect such a game to have such an emotional story.
Man, I love being a gamer. Non-gamers are restricted to being moved by movies and books. We have games as well, and boy is that awesome.

BlueCrossBlueShield

Jul 18, 2009
I can't specify any one game, so I'd like to wedge in a suggestion of an artist. His name is Yoshitaka Amano, and it comes to mind now primarily for his work on classic Final Fantasy.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Like other people have said, Okami. No picture can rap humor, deep thought, great artisitc style, fun, and an awesome story like Okami. If Van Gogh was around today he would be a game designer living out of his moms basement.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
I think the Bioshock series has an incredibly impressive art style...

Mezzo.

Nov 19, 2009
What, no Psychonauts? :mad:

That game really was influenced by art in the level design. Shit, it's a representation of what goes on in the human (or monster) mind, like despair or joy or flamboyance or repressed memories. Not a single game I know of has really done it so well like that.

s_glasgow99

Jan 8, 2010
"Artsy" as referred to by the common public, is label that implies beauty, depth, and a high brow entry level sure to push away most people due to themes and/or subject matter.

"Artsy" film examples could include; 8 1/2, or Solyaris (Tarkovsky) . But can even include; Requiem For A Dream, or Full Frontal.

This isn't actual fact, this is simply how a lot of the mass public view the term "Artsy".

So, emotional and psychological depth, easy entry level gameplay. Emphasis on experience over control or goal.

I'd say "The Path" matches this best, that or "Pong"

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I'd have to say Flower - though, that said, Flower is "more art than game" rather than "game as art" :p

Out of all the "games that are art", I actually think very few of the ones listed are very artsy. (save for Braid, thats VERY artsy)