Question of the Day, October 13, 2010

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, evil...maybe once the novelty off (and I'd pilfered enough world-monies to build my impregnable volcano-island base )I'd dispense with some vigilante-like justice...for a fee, of course (that makes it more mercenary, less vigilante, right?)

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
I imagine if I tried not to do good, my general nature would get the better of me rather quickly. Then I'd probably be demonized by the pubilc for not helping everybody, since it wouldn't be possible.

The best would just be to hide the powers, at least for a while.

kintaris

Apr 5, 2010
Recent influx of morality games has made me discover something uncomfortable about myself that I can no longer deny:

I am a good person. Given a choice, I will almost always pick the good option. OK so I might be cheeky in Fable or lose my temper once or twice in Mass Effect, but with some decisions, even on a second playthrough to see other strands, I simply cannot bring myself to choose to be bad. It doesn't compute, it goes against fundamental aspects of my internal logic.

So no more pretending that I'm a nice guy with a secret badass side if only superpowers came along. No. I would be good. If I was invisible, would I steal $1m? No, I'd go catch some other guy stealing $1m. I wouldn't even be overly heroic, because I don't want the glory. Despite choosing 'good' in games, I still always choose rogue or similar as a class, because I don't want or need the attention. I like doing the good deed as anonymously as possible and then stepping quietly back to watch the effects unfold.

Gaming has taught me how to be OK with my natural niceness, it seems. And for that I'm grateful. Means I'll embarrass myself less when people around me insist I must have a dark side.

kintaris

Apr 5, 2010
Twad said:
Where is the "use my power for my own selfish ends"?
Interesting point. Seems a lot of people would class that as 'evil', which throws up a whole different debate...

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
Hm...I think I'd be frequently selfish but would in general do good stuff. At least until I get pissed off from every conceivable organization trying to get me under their umbrella. Then I'd either assert my authoritay or go Yoda. I like my country, it's done some good stuff for me but I'm not terribly patriotic, so I'd probably flipflop between an allegiance to myself and humanity as a whole.

Qmonster

Sep 20, 2010
While I do recognize that the old saying "power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" has some truth, I'm just enough of a goody-two-shoes (what does that mean anyway?) to probably just stick to a Lawful Good path with my powers. On the other hand, I'd also want to first make sure the government would not be able/willing to just nab me and do massive experiments on why I have crazy ass powers. I may be Lawful Good, but I'm not stupid :p

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Not evil, vigilante justice. Extremely brutal vigilante justice.
Indeed. XD I think I would be about the same, though I would be nice to the ladies. ;o

Andantil

May 10, 2009
No chaotic neutral option? I'd use my powers to have a good time, possibly at the expense of others.

PissOffRoth

Jun 29, 2010
I would try to serve the greater good of mankind. The way I went about it would depend on my superpower. I would try to be subtle about it. No flashy costume, no dramatic speeches or entrances. Just plain justice. Little Kim in NK would be first on my hit list though. That fucker is just in the wrong.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
'Good' and 'Evil' vary from person to person, so I can't really answer this one. I can guarantee I wouldn't be completely 'lawful' though.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
By definition, as a superhero, I'd be hero. Joking aside, I'm be a hero, at least that way I wouldn't have the government trying to arrest/kill me. I'd probably just use my powers for fun and maybe petty thievery, nothing outright evil and of course I'd help people out whenever it was both possible and convenient.
I'd definitely wear a costume too, not because of an obsession with keeping my identity secret, but because honestly; How else am I going to be allowed to walk around in a superhero costume?

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
why be good? what does it get you? You don't get paid, you are constantly busy no down time, and you have to constantly make sure you are doing the right thing. If you just go evil, your life is so easy. Wake up, eat a bagel, then rob a bank, go back to your secret lair and relax....ez

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I think I'd be what you call chaotic good.

Or I'll just use the powers to beat up my brothers when they're being particularly stupid/annoying/smelly.