Question of the Day, October 4, 2010

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Boredom. I play a game until I find it bores me, then I stop.

Riddle78 said:
When I buy a game,I do my research. IE,no midnight launches. I'd know ahead of time if the story sucks,and that's one of my primary "Sell points". I don't care about instructions;I generaly figure things out along the way,or get creative. Generaly both. I don't care about VA work,unless it's TRULY something to complain about. Never happened once. The difficulty I can either change,or adapt to,as all people would. The game mechanics are what kills it for me. Before,all I searched up was how the plot unfolded. After a few bad purchases (Phantasy Star on 360) I decided to look up game mechanics as well. Never had a bad purchase since.
So, you missed out on the best game of 2010 - Alpha Protocol?

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Really depends. I've stopped playing games for terrible storylines, faulty mechanics, or difficulty curves that can only be described as having a negative slope.

GrammarLad

Oct 4, 2010
Bad game mechanics.

Example: Sonic Heroes; so many times switching formation messed things up, like making the leader fall through elevators, or off of moving platforms. Also, though I beat it, I got very ragey when I was playing through Dragon Age, at the quest where you defend Redcliffe and the game just left me waiting for the last zombie that never came, forcing me to restart the whole damn battle.

Speedwagon

Oct 3, 2010
Difficulty Level
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System was too hard in the early levels for me. I couldn't ever get anywhere in that game. I regret never being able to finish it.

Other than that I finish most games to the last cutscene just to know what happens in the end.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Other - Which would be when either I get too angry, or I get bored... The first point only applies for online play, whilst the second one applies for all games. None of the others on the list I would stop playing a game for, as they are all minor flaws in my opinion (except for maybe one or two).

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Faulty game mechanics by a land slide. Not only are the other options easy to by-pass but when something is wrong with the game play that stops it from being fun, then you got a pretty crappy game. It's the reason I stopped playing SSB Brawl with all it's idiotic flaws.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
It usually has to be a combination of a few of those things (but never for graphics).
or I just get really really bored with it.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
A game could be hard as hell and have bad mechanics and I'd still play it to the end. BUT if there is little to no story at all and the little bit it does have is complete and utter shit then I will just stop. I can take a story with holes, but when there are loads of holes and they're obvious and hell, then I will not play that game.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Other: When you notice that hey, the gameplay hasn't been very original for the last four hours. Why are their recoloured boss battles happening?

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
Like most people so far I can tolerate everything on the list except (very) poor game mechanics. When nothing works anymore, bugs make progress impossible or stuff like that, then, and only then, I'll stop.

Or if it isn't any fun.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
When a game expects you to do or find something without clarifying how to do it, how can you be expected to beat the game?

Which is why I have never finished games like Condemned, Half-Life 2, Golden Sun, LEGO Batman, the list goes on.

Amsus

Feb 10, 2010
often it's a general loss of purpose. most of the time because the storyline drifts of course or the pacing dies. sometimes though it's just plum bad instructions that leave me one big question mark.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
DSK- said:
GonzoGamer said:
DSK- said:
When it gets boring or if it's too hard. I stopped playing God of war 1 because of the quick time events and than fucking minotaur.
Yea those QTEs are a turnoff but they didn't kill God of War for me.

Weird.
I can?t pinpoint any one of these things in particular but any one of these things can turn me off to a game.
Mostly, it just has to bore me. That can sometimes mean repetition but that?s not always a turn off: I never got tired of VATS.
A very linear or repetitive structure can also be a turnoff but Rez, Overkill, and Burnout Revenge are a few of my favorite games too.
However I think I?m pretty hard to please. The more appropriate question for me would probably be, what would encourage you to buy/keep a game as I find very few are worth the price. After trying a game out, I only want to buy it maybe 1 time out of 10.
I must admit not completing the game because of that is pretty silly, but I must have tried for about an hour and got so pissed off with it I didn't play it again.

The prince of persia games I lost interest in fairly quickly also (warrior within, two thrones not Sands of time - never played)
I'm not sure what kept driving me on in those games considering how much I hate QTEs. The last one did them pretty tastefully so they weren't so invasive to the experience but before that, I think it was just the brutality of it that kept me going; that and the fact that I dig Greek mythology and what they did to it was pretty brutal as well. Like watching the Harry Potter movies as a fan of the books: interesting to watch but hard to not compare.

I think No More Heroes did the worst job with QTEs: they were sometimes hidden in the screen in weird way or such a part of the minigame that it was just an exercise in tedium.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I have a compulsion to finish every game I start, or at least get as far as I can before the gameplay gets so bad it is literally impossible for me to continue. Usually this is due to bad game mechanics and not knowing wtf is going on.

chronolos

Apr 20, 2009
When the game is just plain dull or boring.

or if the story completely looses me. if i dont know wtf is going on, then the gameplay better make up for it 2 fold.

another reason, oddly, is if a character i like changes in a way that is just dumb.

IE: Star ocean, the last hope. the main character is ambitious, young, loyal, and courageous. until he
blows up an alternate reality
and turns into an emo, whiney, boring, depressed poo head. it takes him an entire chapter to realize hes acting like a wanker.

(i seriously recommend you dont waste money on this game.)

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
The need for sleep.

But usually it's faulty and unmodifiable controls that kill a game for me right out of the starting gate. Most other aspects of the game you can get a sense of from reviews and a couple of videos, but whether controls and UI are right for you, you don't know until the game is on the screen and the controls are in your hand.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
Normally the game gets to a point where i find continuing a chore and not an enjoyable experiance.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
If a game has some faulty mechanics or, serious difficulty issues I'll stop playing it. Otherwise, the main thing that stops me playing one game is another game coming in to take it's place. Like how I stopped playing Arkham Asylum when I got Just Cause 2 and when I stopped playing Birth by Sleep in favor of Reach.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
It's really hard to pin it down to one thing. Usually, bad gameplay/mechanics is the big one, because if the game is unplayable, then it's not really a game, is it? If the only good things are the story/voice acting, I might as well watch a movie or read a book.

I guess I take a more holistic view of a game. If things other than the gameplay aren't great, I can usually live with it as long as everything else holds together. If too many things start to suck, or the one bad thing just gets unbearable, I'll probably stop.

The characters would be the second-most important factor. I'll take a mediocre or generic plot and setting with compelling characters over an amazing plot and setting with characters I could give a rat's ass about. My second choice would be flat, emotionless characters (like we had in the NES era) that I can project my own personalities on to than have to play a game with a load of douchebags. If I don't like my in-game avatar, or any of the people around him, why would I care enough about them to see them through to the end of their story?