Question of the Day, September 7, 2010

dee_dubs

Nov 8, 2007
Rednog said:
PoliceBox63 said:
Rednog said:
PoliceBox63 said:
Tharwen said:
Can I have a fully working TARDIS and a crew?
[sub]Actually, were they all called TARDISes or was it just the one the Doctor stole?[/sub]
Yes they were all called TARDISes
Wait a minute, I'm pretty sure the doctor's granddaughter is the one who coined the term TARDIS and that we have no clue what the galifran name for it is. Thus it really wouldn't be called TARDISes because the term was coined when there was only one and for that single one.
No, it's since been affirmed in the classic series that they are all called TARDISes.
Booted up the first episode of the first season and I quote:
Granddaughter: The TARDIS can go anywhere
Female Teacher: TARDIS? I don't understand you Susan.
Granddaughter: Well I made up the name TARDIS from the initials Time and Relative Dimension in Space...(exposition on spaces in spaces).

Logically speaking the Doctor's ship is TheTARDIS, it's like if I had a teddy bear and named him Mr. Fluffy, other teddy bears aren't Mr. Fluffys they are other teddy bears. Thus one should conclude that like there is only one Mr. Fluffy (ignore the fact that someone else can call their bear Mr. Fluffy if they wanted to) and like the doctor, sure there once was many ships like his but they all weren't called TARDIS (they could have possibly been called Time and Relative Dimension in Space machines sure, but his granddaughter was the one who first began using the term TARDIS.

I've never gone through the complete classic series (still working on it) but if they are at some point called TARDISes then so be it, but it seems to be, in my opinion, a failure of the writing for the reasons above.
There is metaplot around that (and around Susan in general), but it never actually made it to the screen. You'd need to read the 'Virgin New Adventures' books, "Lungbarrow" in particular, but it actually makes sense. Granted, that's a case of writers going back and inventing something to explain away the errors of previous writers, but in this case it works really well.

For the gadget, I'd have to go with the Quantum Crystaliser. I'd also be interested to know just how many people here know what a QC does (I'm guessing it's mostly just the people who voted for it...)

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
I would go for the Tardis, but because I have nowhere to put it, i'm gonna go with the Quantum Crystaliser, it is the next best thing.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Cliche, predictable, I don't know...
But the TARDIS, hands down.

Free power, free living, infinite travel potential, but bigger then all of that I could go gather up all my friends from their distant homes whenever I wanted negating the limitations of time and space.

I'd give a lot to be able to see them whenever the hell it was convenient.

Even if dangerous time jumping and excitement isn't your thing you could park it by a rift every no and then and have a very massive space defying house.

Edit: Note the question does not specify the Doctor's TARDIS to my understanding, so chameleon circuit functional...
You could put it anywhere you wanted, disguise it as a watch and carry it around with you? I joined into this in the series reboot and am unsure of any oldschool limitations on it but it's already defying physics so I assume stretching that farther is possible.

Also remember the perception filter, it could be a hot pink bulldozer parked in the pentagon and people would likely ignore you.

Sep 13, 2009
TARDIS by far. Especially if it would make me a Sonic Screwdriver! Except I wouldn't be like the doctor and just use it to open things. I'd use it to resonate to the frequency of someone's skull and make their head explode if I was in danger.

pilf

Apr 23, 2008
Sonic screwdriver just because of the amount of stuff it can do, unlock/lock doors tamper with security systems, fix things, break things and of course sometimes even drive screws!

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
Totally the one that controls time. I've always wished I had this ability. xD

King Leoric

Jun 7, 2009
Definitely psychic paper. It's probably the doctors most useful device, aside from the TARDIS that is.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
kwagamon said:
I chose other because I want the psychic paper! Can't imagine how fun that little thing would be to have.
Exactly what I want. The TARDIS comes with to much responsibility, and the sonic screwdriver could illegally get you into anywhere. The psychic papers could get you into anywhere legally.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Take TARDIS then travel to the right spots in time and get all the gadgets.
I just pwned this QOTD.

Vzzdak

May 7, 2010
Overlooked two classic Doctor Who toys:

Blue crystal from Metebelis Three (hypnosis)
K-9 (robot attack dog)

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
Psychic paper! Yes im an FBI agent/Doctor/CIA agent/Bank Manager/boobie inspector/ anything you want! you could go anywere and do anything!

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
TARDIS.

Then I'd go collect everything else off that list from the rest of time and space.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
They're ALL pretty damn awesome, but I think I'd have to go with the TARDIS. Not only can it let you travel through time, but through space (and occasionally dimensions).

I would also hope that at least some basic knowledge on how to operate it would be included, along with the ability to learn more and more about it as time goes by.

And, as other people have stated, I would be able to use the TARDIS to collect the various other items on the list. It would probably take a while, but it would be worth it. And hey, what's too long when you have a time machine?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I'd like to say the TARDUS just because it would be so useful, but god damn showing off a real sonic screwdriver would be impressive.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
I've never watched a Dr. Who episode (yeah I know, heretic), but the Quantum Crystaliser sounds pretty awesome.

Edit: Actually, the TARDIS. I assume I can go around and get the other items.