Real Life Superhero Thwarts Robbery, Gains TV Fame

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
Dude, you NEVER explain the gadgets. It takes all the fear out of your gimmick.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
ImprovizoR said:
What is the point of being a super hero if you don't have super powers or a super suit and everyone knows who you are and where to find you?
Did you watch the news report? He does have superpowers:

Phoenix Jones said:
"So when I walk into a neighbourhood criminals leave because they see the suit"
He has the power of super awkwardness and emphatic embarrassment, like when someone tells a really bad or misjudged joke at a party and people leave the room, except this guy can clear entire neighbourhoods.

People see him coming, then they're overcome with this uncomfortable feeling and start to feel really embarrassed, which causes them to flee rather than put up with the awkwardness... his suit is super effective.

Now that he's been on the news I think even more criminals will flee, rather than engage him and risk becoming the first person apprehended by Phoenix Jones... can you imagine how much of a ***** that would make you in prison?

Captain-Giggles

May 21, 2008
That man at some point in his life went "My name is Phoenix, there is no way in hell I'm doing normal people things"

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
A taser nightstick? Mace/tear gas? A bullet and stab proof vest? That's how you effing do it.

Droppa Deuce

Dec 23, 2010
DROP A DEUCE!!

Sweet costume and good PR. But that's the problem, a vigilante should not need to be on the news. It's very dangerous to have such coverage.

I used to patrol my neighbourhood a few years back with a metal retractable truncheon and a mask etc. But I would never have gone on the news. The fact is, after a while you realise you're just raking leaves during a high force gale. Petty crime will always exist, and unless the criminal element are threatened by death or torture, being a costumed vigilante isn't a big enough deterrent.

This guy needs to tackle the big crime, like drug/people smuggling, child sex offenders, rapists etc.

Good luck to him though. God protect him.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
illiterate said:
As a naturalized Seattlite, I can't bring myself to support anyone who wears a black and gold outfit.
Relax, this guy's not getting any help from the referees.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
antipunt said:
This was a lot cooler than I anticipated. This guy can -actually- do some serious crime-fighting.

Car thefts are a pretty good example of something he could stop. Bullets though? I hope nobody in that area has a gun. I dunno if a Bulletproof vest would suffice.
It's actually very easy to get a concealed handgun permit here in Washington.

I was most impressed that the guy is actually a good sized intimidating man, he's not some short fat man child straight from the convention with a sugar/adrenaline rush. Just trying to say he wasn't what i was expecting too see.

Parallel Streaks

Jan 16, 2008
We used to think we had a guy like this in our town, he wore a bandana and he'd always raid the drug dealers houses and confiscate all of their illicit materials. Turned out the guy was just a junkie, crying shame. My 7 year old brain really didn't take that possibility into account.

OT: I'm happy this guy is trying to do something good for the world, but all I'm sayin' is I hope he has training in some form of defense, because one day that taser'll get knocked out of his hands.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
this puts a smile on my face.

now that guy needs a better mode of travel than just walking XD

so resisting the urge to Object!

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Looks like from the comments there are a number of people who didn't follow the links in the article or run a quick google search. If you would like to know more about one of Seattle, WA's local costumed crusaders with the moniker Phoenix Jones here are some links that make good reading:
http://heroesinthenight.blogspot.com/2010/11/part-1-rain-city-action.html
http://heroesinthenight.blogspot.com/2010/11/part-2-phoenix-jones-interview.html <-- If you only click one link, make it this one
http://heroesinthenight.blogspot.com/2010/11/part-3-seattle-media-frenzy.html
http://news.reallifesuperheroes.org/2010/11/19/phoenix-jones-real-life-superhero/

Something interesting of note, Phoenix Jones is evolving, which shouldn't be that surprising since this person actually wants to be effective. Here are a series of images for your viewing pleasure of the changes in Phoenix Jones partol kit/tactics aka costume:
No costume, he tries to help the homeless - the picture is an example of homeless in Seattle

To prevent being identified as "the guy who is always breaking up fights" he makes a costume mostly out of his MMA gear - take note of the "costume" the police officer is wearing

-
Recognizing he can be outnumbered easily, he starts accepting his friends' help - which grows into the group known as Rain City Superheroes - notice his mask has changed from a face wrap into a balaclava ( personally I like the one that looks like a ninja more http://www.spadout.com/wiki/index.php/Balaclava )

-
Upon watching this video http://vimeo.com/3529737 and given his past confrontations, his costume gets more defences - if you clicked the video, there you go, a costumed crusader who doesn't use a mask. Also take another look again up a few images to the Seattle cop, in some regards Phoenix Jones is now better protected than the police officer

-
This is probably a typical night out on the town for Phoenix Jones - people pointing, laughing, and wanting to have their pictures taken with him. Notice he only wears a rain slicker aka cape when its raining outside which as is pretty well known about Seattle it tends to have plenty of cloudy, rainy days. That isn't easy on the homeless but at least it isn't snow ... yet

-
Remember that police officer's uniform aka costume I pointed out earlier? Following that line of thought, I think the next logical step in Phoenix Jones' costume will look like a flashily disguised, perhaps more unarmed/bladed combat version of a SWAT team member's kit next since he needs better eye and head protection for one thing:

If he ends up with a rich benefactor, maybe that is when he gets his own custom IRL version of the Batman Begins gear ( http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/arts/comic-books/batsuit1.htm ), which his current costume seems like a very early prototype of. Personally, I would love to get my hands on custom sets of Dragonskin body armour or even better how to make it myself to see if I could improve on the design with rigorous testing. Oh well, file such ideas under what I would do if I won the lottery.

While this is the kind of person who would rush to help someone out completely naked, I am glad to see they are making an effort to make keep themselves' around longer for his wife and child. I am proud to have a dad like Phoenix Jones in some respects, my dad is a paramedic and the type to rush to other people's aid. And yes, that stuff with the comic book store is most likely a decoy or a honey pot for would be hit squads to get caught with their hand in - at least that is what I would do, set up surveillance and see who comes around looking to cause trouble for Phoenix Jones and the Rain City Superheroes.

Want to see what his suit looks like in motion and when he is goofing off for a lame skit so he can get his message to help the homeless out there? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lElq2NZLlM

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Sonicron said:
If this guy ever sticks his nose into a high-profile crime and gets noticed by the kind of people who know how to bring the pain, he's history
This is pretty much what I was thinking. I love the guy for what he's doing, but odds are he'll get in major trouble if the wrong people get an interest in him. Best for the guy to stick to "smaller" crimes like car theft.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
_Janny_ said:
Sonicron said:
If this guy ever sticks his nose into a high-profile crime and gets noticed by the kind of people who know how to bring the pain, he's history
This is pretty much what I was thinking. I love the guy for what he's doing, but odds are he'll get in major trouble if the wrong people get an interest in him. Best for the guy to stick to "smaller" crimes like car theft.
Too late. This is from that interview I linked http://heroesinthenight.blogspot.com/2010/11/part-2-phoenix-jones-interview.html
TEA KRULOS: How often do you patrol?

PHOENIX JONES: I try to put in four or five nights a week. There is a couple days I can?t go out, but I try to shake it up and keep it random. Because once I started getting out people started- not looking for me, but- I recently had a run in with a gang from Oregon called The Peckerwoods, it?s a white supremacist gang. I was able to get a guy arrested with my brass knuckles, and that was probably the scariest encounter I?ve ever had, and the whole gang actually put a hit out for me. So I?m not sure how true- how seriously- the gang is about putting hits out on people but, a friend of mine told me ?hey, did you mess with The Peckerwoods??

I hadn?t told anybody about it and I said ?yeah,? and she said ?a friend of mine tells me there?s a little hit out for you.? It made me uncomfortable, so I?ve gotten paranoid in my older superhero age. (editor?s note: Phoenix Jones is 22 years old) I patrol randomly, I blindfold everyone that bring over, I don?t have a listed address, only a PO Box, my phone numbers are blocked, I?ve become very secretive, because once you actually start fighting crime, you can?t just spit in the face of criminals and expect to walk around.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
Wow, I hope this guy doesn't get messed up when he tries to go hero, but he probably will. :(

Idiotastic

Mar 21, 2010
Pfah! They don't even have real superpowers!

But,really: That's pretty awesome.

And:
KaosuHamoni said:
That's brilliant, however was I the only person to watch that, and go "Omg, I so want a taser-nightstick..." *Jealous face*
I think I'll go ahead and agree with this gentleman here.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
It just hit me! Kinda unrelated but it has to be said. People say that video games influence people do do things, yet no one blames the movies. These guys were obviously influenced by the huge amount of superhero movies in the past decade. And even if one of them ends up dead (and someone probably will) no one will blame the movies. However people will still blame teenage rebellion and delinquency on violent video games.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
First reaction: *looking at the suit* You have got to be kidding me
Second reaction: YOU FOOL! You NEVER reveal the secret lair!
Third reaction: Taser/nightstick? That's... actually pretty badass
Final reaction: Bulletproof vest and stab plates? You're one hardcore ************.

If I ever find my way to this man's neck of the woods, I'm buying him a beer.

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
Well what do you know, great things happen every day. Although it probably wasn't wise showing the comic shop and his "secret lair" because now every punk wanna-be gangster is going to cause trouble in the shop, or rob him.