Really? Do older game consoles suck?

Sev07

Mar 10, 2010
DO NOT GIVE IN TO TRENDS.
Honestly, I do not usually give up old systems, just because you never know when you will get a hanckering for an older game.
And besides, how much do you think you can sell a gamecube for? 30 bucks if it's in amazing condition. Keep them until they are relics, then sell for thousands! (Hundreds)

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
There are many new games that have more bugs, problems, and are outright worse than some last gen games and vice versa. There are plenty of good old and new games, and plenty of bad old or new games. You won't find better looking games in the past, but you may find better working ones. I have a PS3, and I play Arkham Asylum some days and others I return to my PS2 and play S.L.A.I. I enjoy both of those generations. If you really want nostalgia though, you can often buy games for PSone or (S)NES era on PSN or WiiWare respectfully.
Keep your old games. If you want a new system, it is not worth trading in older gems. Save up, then get it.

arcstone

Dec 1, 2007
Tell your friend that they are your consoles and that you may do with them whatever you want.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
The N64 had Goldeneye, therefore your friend's logic that new games are better than old games can be widely disputed. Other games from older consoles that are better than the average game today:
Perfect Dark
Mario 64
FFV-VIII (Screw you, I think I'm the only person who liked FFVIII!)
Tetris
DooM
Metal Gear Solid

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
I feel sorry for the new generation of gamers who would out right refuse to play such amazing games like Shadow of the Colosus, Metal Gear Solid 1+3, Mario 64, Orcarina of Time, Halo (FIRST ONE ONLY), Sonic 1/2/3, Streets of Rage 1+2, Final Fantasy 6/7/8/9 and many MANY others, purely based on them being "out dated".

These people for the most part, cannot be changed. Their opinions are sadly set in stone.

After playing the demo for Afterburner: Climax on my 360, you know what I did? I dug out my Mega Drive and my copy of Afterburner II. I then proceeded to play Afterburner II for about 4-5 hours, all the while have Red Dead Redemption sitting inside my 360. Now, don't get me wrong, RDR is FANTASTIC. But, so are some of the older games/consoles. Take my Afterburner II example, That kept me away from my new purchase of RDR (a steller new title) for hours on end.

I also recently played Shadow of the Colossus again. Wow. SO many modern games don't evern come close to generating that kind of emotive response.

I would go as far as to say that anyone of the opinion that older games/consoles "suck" is a fool, and an ignorant one at that. (Lets face it, 90% of them haven't played it, they just get put off by the "bad graphics".)

There is a REASON that titles like Orcarina of Time and Super Mario Brothers 3 usually come in the top 3 in "best games ever lists". Some things are just timeless...

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
In my opinion new games just keep getting worse from a gameplay point of view, even games from three years ago still had some variety. New games look better in graphics and from that seem to become more popular- also because game companies are targeting the teens harder than ever. That means Halo and Bad Company are cool, and thus better than any uncool games like... Shadow of the Collosus, or Kirby.

Popularity can suck my megadrive.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Old games can be good, but improvements in games come over time to the point that even great classics can start to feel old and lacking in fun after other, more recent games improve upon that older design. Baldur's Gate might be an awesome game, but i'd rather play Dragon Age over it, even if I don't really like Dragon Age, simply because it contains enough improvements that going back to BG too has made that experience basically obsolete.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
It's context. The PS1, as a console now, is shockingly shit. Pure pixelated graphics, and a 16MB RAM?! Except one thing, because of these low specs, almost anyone could make a game, and there were some fantastic ideas out there, and as a result, IMO, the PS1 had the best selection of games.

rmx687

Mar 3, 2009
Obviously new games aren't better in every single way, and we could go into lengthy discussions about this, I mean pick any genre and really ask yourself what the all time best games in it are, I guarantee you few games worthy of mentioning are form this generation.

Keep your consoles, if you want a PS3 yourself, get it when you got the money.

captainwalrus

Jul 25, 2008
Old consoles are great. In a few decades they'll have amazing antique value, especially rarer consoles. I wish I had kept my old CD-i, even though it takes the cake for worse console ever made =(

...yeah it's all about the $$$.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
I keep all my consoles, and still buy the best, newest one out there when the money rolls in.

Get rid of nothing, you will regret it.

Mark Kennard

Mar 30, 2010
seventy7l said:
What are your thoughts on this
That the new consoles are rubbish and they have little to no support for the old consoles (except the Wii). Keep the old ones because when you want to crank an old PS2 game, and you realise your PS3 has no backwards compatibility, you'll be missing it.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
I personally think the next-gen consoles suck balls, since they break far more easily than their ancestors.

...Still won't stop me from playing them, but it's still very frustrating to catch a RROD or YLOD.

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
Considering I still play old PS1 games, I'm going to conclude your friend is either insane, stupid, or not even a person.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
For some people, actually a lot, new means better.

It could be books, movies, video games...something old gives a person the idea that its crude and primitive.

As if the Star Wars prequels are better than the original trilogy.....you might be astounded to know there are people that will say that.

"Empire Strikes Back?? Old!! The revenge of the Sith has CGI and bigger explosions, actually fuck ROTS.....it's all about the next Halo movie....RAAWWWWRRRR!!"

X0

anyways....

On further thought, I will add games are a bit of a different beast, games rely a lot on technology. So unless we're talking about the story, the game play will tend to improve with each generation.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
seventy7l said:
I was talking to a friend just now and he was saying sell all your old consoles so you can get a ps3.
I said but i like my ps2 and gamecube, but i might sell my xbox.
He asked why
I said why not, i like my old games.
He said the new games are all better than the old games.

What are your thoughts on this

Edit:Main reason my friend wants me to get a ps3 is that everybody else has one.

Edit again:Out of the three last gen consoles i have sentimental value from order
GameCube,Ps2,Xbox.
Well, one of my major concerns is that my old-school PS-3 will break down beyond repair because I use it to play a lot of PS-2 titles. Generally speaking, most of the best RPGs for consoles were released for the PS-2, and I am an RPG fanatic with a substantial library.

For someone who is young enough to have missed the PS-2 era, I can see the point though. Such a player is probably mostly interested in action games and the like, and they have generally improved in every respect.

That said, I tend to agree with the guy who said video games are becoming timeless. There are plenty of games, going back to the NES days, that are still in fairly high demand. There are entire subcultures revolving around emulation, and abandonware (for PCs). You'll find that evern with the younger crowd there are people who go back to play the classics and will sink dozens of hours into such games.

Indeed capitolizing on that kind of thing is exactly why you see collections of games like "Sonic's Genesis Collection" and the like being sold as well, emulation showed that there was an interest and that's one of the rare occasions where the industry responded by effectively re-releasing a number of classic games. I've actually been hoping we'd see more releases like that (I snagged a copy of the Genesis Collection for $20 a while back).