My dad told us this yesterday:

"Hey, did you hear about the ref whose head got put on a spike"

"OH MY GOD! What!? D:"

"Yeah, but he stabbed one of the players first!"

"OH MY GOD! What is this? An episode of Game of Thrones?!"

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Your thoughts, funny memes and/or Nathan Fillion gifs?
Pretty much my only thought is "This sure is the country hosting the next World Cup and Summer Olympics. Good job everyone."

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
Sebastian said:
Exterminas said:
Please show me an animal that works itself into a blood frenzy, then kills without any need for food or defense, solely because it has a massive hard-on for death... and then mutilates the dead body just to present it to others.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat
A+ response, sir. A+

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
I think about this and then I think about people running around saying "Video Game Violence AHH it makes murderers blah blah blah... and then 2 people get murdered over a soccer game...

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I hate to be that person, but...

Imagine if this was gamers behaving this way.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
I think that the fact that it was a football game was pretty incidental, the community itself is likely very... colorful.

I'll have to add São Luís to my travel bucket list, sounds like a grade A place.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
This is presently somewhere between "amazing" and "horrific" in my mind and that's confusing.

Was this some kind of gang related soccer match or something? Team of stabbed member found out that the ref was "on the take" or maybe "a rat"? Because when I look at it as some type of Sopranos or Borgias shit that somehow translated to the soccer field instead of the city streets or the Vatican it makes a type of deranged sense.

Dr. Doomsduck said:
Sebastian said:
Exterminas said:
Please show me an animal that works itself into a blood frenzy, then kills without any need for food or defense, solely because it has a massive hard-on for death... and then mutilates the dead body just to present it to others.
A+ response, sir. A+
And we humans worship and keep them as PETS. Are they this violent because humans are their masters or are WE this violent because cats are our gods?

zefiris

Dec 3, 2011
". It means the supposed "referee" guy was possibly a well-know troublesome gangta-type in the small city, with possible many crimes they could not prove but everyody was aware of (I can only imagine how bad and slow the law can be in such a place), and so must the city be one with common puplic security problems and many others of his kind. So given the situation they had this momentum against him (i.e. locked down, outnumbered, proven to not be carrying a gun...) they just took this revenge, the police close their eyes, and the crowd went further with "leaving a message" to the others.
It also means that possibly, you're actually the brothers of the murdererer, and are possibly here to possibly defend him. It's certainly possible.

Possibly.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
ZombieFanatic said:
FoolKiller said:
Campaigner said:
MAN! Crazy people! I think this is just mindblowingly awesome! Those Brazilians sure got BALLS! THAT'S for certain!

I totally understand his friends and relatives anger and fully support their revenge on the refeere. Paying back in the same currency with interest (head on a pike!).

Just awesome! :)
Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I'm not for violence but if someone brutally stabs my friend/family in front of me, I would have no trouble decapitating that person.
But they didn't just decapitate him. They tortured him for a while, stoned him to death, literally ripped his limbs off, decapitated him, then mounted his head on a pike. No matter how you look at it, that's fucked up. It's just the wrong combination of animalistic rage and calculated cruelty.

I could understand it if they just killed him, maybe even chopped off his head (I wouldn't approve, but that's a different matter), but what they did is not justifiable.
That's because you are idiotically trying to apply logic to a very emotionally charged situation. Those two rarely, if ever, get along. You're trying to understand it the same way as guys try to understand the pain of child birth. You don't. You can't.

But if you have to try...
Torture is so the person who caused you pain suffers pain.
Chopping him up is vengeance-filled catharsis.

As for it being fucked up, I rate it below a referee stabbing a verbally abusive player repeatedly.

Haunted Serenity

Jul 18, 2009
I wonder how hard it will be next time they have a game to fin a ref?

Brutal. From all sides. Although when the ref is carrying a machete like knife to the field, what are the players doing to one another?

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
zefiris said:
". It means the supposed "referee" guy was possibly a well-know troublesome gangta-type in the small city, with possible many crimes they could not prove but everyody was aware of (I can only imagine how bad and slow the law can be in such a place), and so must the city be one with common puplic security problems and many others of his kind. So given the situation they had this momentum against him (i.e. locked down, outnumbered, proven to not be carrying a gun...) they just took this revenge, the police close their eyes, and the crowd went further with "leaving a message" to the others.
It also means that possibly, you're actually the brothers of the murdererer, and are possibly here to possibly defend him. It's certainly possible.

Possibly.
Yeah, read the edited part with what I found on the news, I was wrong on everything :) That's what "possible" means. Now I'm puzzled too, suddenly nothing makes sense anymore D: it happened in the farm zones, he was really the referee, neither the player or the referre where known criminals, and (even thou wrong and all in many ways) he threw the knife, not "stabbed the player many times" and it unlucky turned out to be a mortal blow, yet the crowd did all that instead of simply turning him in :X

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Dear Planet Earth,

This is one of those things to gently remind you that we're not that much better than the blood-drenched, screaming, stick wielding beasts from whence we came, no matter how many megapixels we can cram into a smart-phone camera.

Seriously, this is despicable. And this is in the country where the world cup is meant to be held? Wow.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Gitty101 said:
That's ridiculously savage. And these people want to host the world cup? Good fucking luck.
And loads a' quotes with the same sort of gist going.

I keep saying that it's all part of a much bigger picture, that it's a symptom of a much larger problem, not limited to football or the audience alone.

But no one ever listens, do they? No, let's just judge it at face value and trott off.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
I think the real issue here is, had any of these people been playing Fifa or any video game lately.
'Cause as you know, videogames lead to violence.

Being serious though, this is some medieval shit. I knew Soccer/Football games went to some insanity at times, but geez. Honestly though, everyone involved should be put away for life. Or something.

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
FoolKiller said:
That's because you are idiotically trying to apply logic to a very emotionally charged situation. Those two rarely, if ever, get along. You're trying to understand it the same way as guys try to understand the pain of child birth. You don't. You can't.

But if you have to try...
Torture is so the person who caused you pain suffers pain.
Chopping him up is vengeance-filled catharsis.

As for it being fucked up, I rate it below a referee stabbing a verbally abusive player repeatedly.
While I appreciate being called an idiot (I really do, it's great), I was not, in fact, trying to apply logic to what they did. I was merely stating that, regardless of how angry they were, it was not an okay thing to do. You seemed to be saying that it was okay, hence my statement.

EDIT: In case of confusion, my point is as follows: If a guy kills his wife in a fit of rage, that doesn't excuse the fact that he killed her. Anger does not make things okay just because it's hard to control.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
According to some users at the LiveLeak forums (where a video showing the ref's body has been posted), the ref possibly had gang connections and had already been involved in previous altercations with people who were at the soccer match when the incident took place. That all seems to be utter speculation of course, and anybody who's ever dealt with LiveLeak's community would know that they tend to jump to the most stereotypical conclusions, but if true it would certainly go a long way to explaining the level of savagery that was visited upon that poor man's body.

And before anyone here asks -- no, I will not provide a link to the video. It's graphic as all get-out (he was literally hacked into pieces), and posting something like that is likely to lead me to a ban.

They type of behavior exhibited by everyone involved in this incident is why I'm a fucking misanthropist. Humans, at their shriveled little core, are disgustingly base creatures that have no right to the kingship they hold over the rest of the planet.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
My god. Human behaviour never ceases to explore its limits.

Sebastian said:
Exterminas said:
Tamed cats train their hunting skills that way, then often present that catch as a present for the owner, encouraging them to train their "hunting skills". So it's not mindless slaughter.

Neither is it the case with most human cases imo, there's always some sort of social or individual thing involved with it.

Psychopathic behaviour and extreme group aggression have also been observed in various species of monkeys if I'm not mistaken.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
The whole thing is madness. The one aspect of madness no one seems to mention, though, is why the heck was this player pissing off a guy with a large blade in the first place?

Hell, if the ref was not respected with something like that strapped to him, I gotta wonder what it was like before he had the knife.

Then again, how visible was the knife?

Who was there to back up the ref's decision?

Then again I doubt anyone has these answers that comes here.

I'm not saying anyone was justified in anything, here, I'm just looking at the angles.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
ShiningAmber said:
And this is why I dislike sports.
I suppose you also dislike all music because of this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Norwegian_black_metal_scene], then?

Sure, this is fucked up beyond all reason, but most sports fans are perfectly normal people in my experience. Hell, my dad's one, and he's not killed anyone yet.
Except this shit is way more common. How often do you hear of a large fight breaking out at a concert among fans opposed to how often you hear people beating the shit out of each other at football matches? Every time there's a big match in my country, it's generally considered common sense not to be anywhere near the stadium or even the routes to it. The worst group of people in this country are football fans, to illustrate the point, recent talk of an LGBT centre being built was met with some people from the crowd yelling "we'll call the football fans" as a threat, which is now apparently synonymous with a fucking lynch mob. Three years ago, they pretty much ransacked the main street over a Pride parade, where we had 10,000 cops in a city of 2 million people securing the thing and still failing to do so completely.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying "all sports fans are insane violent psychopaths". Plenty of my friends are normal people who watch sports a lot. But this kind of thing is not rare (ok, to this particular example within the article, it is, but I find it equally horrible to be beaten to death over who won the match) and something really ought to be done in the way of more serious convictions for hooligans.