Remember Me Review - Sadly Forgettable

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
I felt bad for how hard they had to work just to have a female protagonist but the moment I saw the gameplay I had a feeling I wasn't going to want to buy it for myself.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Random Argument Man said:
AH! That title!

It's sad that it's a forgettable game. I foresee that Capcom will use its excuse "Female leads don't sell video games" to justify the sales if they're poor. It's never "We made a bad game".

Aaahhh...sad.
Capcom didn't make it. DONTNOD did. Capcom merely published it when countless other publishers literally refused because it had a female lead character, and supposedly those don't sell.

Don't care, preordered on Steam because fuck what society and reviewers think.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Not surprised.

Looking at the trailers the devs didn't seem to know exactly what direction to take this game with, the game didn't know what it wanted to be or what it was supposed to be. Sure it had to be about memories but I got the feeling that they weren't sure how to build a GAME around memories. A story maybe, but how the hell do you base gameplay JUST off of memories? I think we learned the answer to that: you don't.

dpixie

Jan 6, 2011
Shame it's not the OMG! AMAZING!! game I wanted it to be. Might still pick it one the price comes down as the story still sounds intriguing.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Aww that's disappointing-I had been keeping an eye on this. Guess I'll wait for the price to go down on Steam see how cheap it can get before I get it.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I can't say I'm surprised. I went over the story recap the game's official site offers, and the collapse of the European Union seems to happen out of nowhere. As soon as Cartier-Wells leaves San Francisco, all considerations about a world extending outside of Europe are abandoned. Similarly, Cartier-Wells' son is naive enough to fall for the usual trope of thinking that his marketed device is hack-proof.

Then, big shock, Antoine finds out how to jailbreak Sensen implants to alter stored memories. The public opinion barely seems to change, following this. The story tackles some big ideas, but some of the twists and turns that are taken are just plainly stupid.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Justin Clouse said:
but neither does it come together as something truly great either.
(Emphasis mine.)

Seriously, why do people keep doing this? Try reading it out loud; isn't it obvious that you should be using one or the other, not both?

Werewolfkid

Nov 1, 2012
I just hope publishers don't use this game's lackluster reception as an excuse for not having female main characters in future games.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
The reminds me of some hypothetical sequel to Ghost Trick with heavy action sequences. Ghost Trick's plot was more sensible, and it got way better review scores. I would play a crossover, probably.

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
MattAn24 said:
...Why do people instantly and blindly believe everything a reviewer says as law? Just because a reviewer thinks it isn't omg10/10preorderatgamestopdoritosmountaindew!!!1111oneone!111, doesn't mean you automatically have to as well!

Mindless sheep...
Well if a reviewer you mostly agree with doesn't like a game, it's generally a good indication that you won't enjoy it, and will be a waste of $60. For me personally, if I spend $60 on a game, I expect to love it. Otherwise it's just best to get it on a Steam sale, and to save the money for something else. I'll still get the game, just much later and much cheaper.

So a 3 out of 5 doesn't mean "don't buy" to me, it means "wait". And I'm sure it means that to others as well.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
So the game is commended for its:

- Storytelling.
- Voice-acting.
- Potentially raising food for thought, with regards to the subject matter.
- The setting.
- Visual design of landscapes and architecture.

[hr]

Criticism I don't agree with:

- The combat system being similar to that of Arkham Asylum. Forgive me if I'm off base, but wasn't that particular combat system largely praised by gamers?

- "Serviceable platforming" - at least it isn't broken. Personally, I wouldn't consider that a point to mark the game down.

- Notifications guiding the player forward progress - A feature which is largely included in most games these days.

- Memory remixing: It may not function perfectly, but I'm intrigued by the concept and can even forgive the downfall of the gameplay mechanics used to manipulate the system. Sounds like fun to me.

- "An interesting big-idea sci-fi setting cannot hold the whole game together"

I have to fully disagree. Personally, I'm reminded of Bioshock. The setting enhanced the game and served to drive the gameplay forward while roping you into the story and atmosphere. Bioshock would be nothing without Rapture/Columbia. Spec Ops: The Line would be nothing without the meta-narrative and Captain Walker.

[hr]

Criticisms I can get behind:

- Lack of exploration.
- Extreme linearity.

I love exploring and it's disheartening to discover that this game seemingly has very little of it. However, I don't have a problem with linearity in gameplay if it serves a narrative purpose.

[hr]

Overall:

"Remember me doesn't do anything outright terrible. Neither does it come together as something truly great."

This sounds like a good game, maybe not a great game, but definitely not a "forgettable game". A forgettable game is something which is functionally broken, uninteresting or holds no lasting value. Remember Me doesn't strike me as a game deserving of that title at all.

Personally, I think this review is being unnecessarily harsh with its critique. Remember Me should be judged on it's own merits. Not by the way of side-by-side comparisons of other games with similar elements.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
RipVanTinkle said:

snip
from what ive seen of the game the writing and voice acting is total shite, and the detailed environments mean you have to be lead through them like a dog on a lesh because they lack good enough game design. but that just from what i have seen of gameplay and such.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
Saw this coming, videogamer.com posted a video say the game looked like balls from the demo they were allowed to play, so i was prepared for it to be met with substandard reviews

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
So, it's fairly average then?

Well, that's disappointing. I will still get it at some point just because I like the premise well enough and there really aren't very many new IPs floating around at the moment.

Oct 2, 2012
Meh I wasn't expecting anything revolutionary and I never got too hyped about it in the first place.
It looks interesting enough to hold my attention so I'll pick it up one day.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Ultratwinkie said:
I don't understand the logic in the story.

If a sen-sen can get hacked, why did everyone adopt it in the first place? Memory changing? Drugs and alcohol do that just fine, why does that warrant an expensive surgery? Hell, even people in Ghost in the Shell didn't all get cyber brains.

And on top of that, why does the sen-sen make everyone turn into a junkie? Its like those strange prohibition propaganda where alcohol will cause everyone to be an alcoholic and society will collapse.

As a side note, every time I hear someone say some futuristic city name like "Neo-Paris" I immediately think of the robotic ghost of Christmas future from Aqua Teen and "Robo-France 29 in the year 9595." Might as well get him to narrate it too.
You've hit what annoys me most about the premise right on the head, who in their right minds develops a system where other people can change your memories? That's rather more important than a computer being hacked.
Also, nowadays whenever I hear about a futuristic city where science has caused a degradation and insanity of people while the pioneers get to muck about I can't help but think of Bioshock. Leapers=Splicers anyone?

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
wolf thing said:
RipVanTinkle said:

snip
from what ive seen of the game the writing and voice acting is total shite, and the detailed environments mean you have to be lead through them like a dog on a lesh because they lack good enough game design. but that just from what i have seen of gameplay and such.
Then again, I may be completely wrong when I get around to purchasing the game, in which case, I'll be disappointed, but it isn't the end of the world. I tend to be very apologetic to a game's mechanical flaws and more appreciative of an overall concept and story. But that's just me. :)

I was merely listing my particular criticisms with this review in particular. There seemed to be more positive attributes mentioned instead of outright negative one's. (I'm going off the video review.) It just made me feel like the review was overly harsh.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Tenmar said:
Anyone else thought this would of been a better game if they went in the path of Heavy Rain? Honestly for all the hype and controversy to which was the doing of the developers themselves, they only have themselves to blame. This was their DEBUT game as a development team and the first moment of controversy they went hollering. I certainly side with them as the choice of what gender and such should be made by them and not the publisher but honestly there really is no focus aside from the concept to which you really can't do anything about.

I mean the setting still has potential but as much as I love brawlers I mean even THE BOUNCER by Squaresoft gave players more to do than simply pressing X and Y and then dodging.
I think it'd have been better with a more Deus Ex approach. Fairly linear overall, but with multiple paths to take during each scenario that allows for re-playability. So perhaps you can take the violent approach, or if you want you can go down the memory hacking route and so on.

Obviously not a clone of Deus Ex, or else the memory thing would just be a gimmick, but I think that direction would have been the kind of way to lean more than what they went with.