Report: Effects of Gaming Worse Than "Smoking on Lung Cancer"

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Aye. Now I'll have to look forward to 20 years down the line when one of my future children tells me that if I love them, I have stop playing video games. There will be an incredible market for the "Pixel Patch" in the future for people like us won't there? I swear I can smell the influence of that shit eating asshole Michael Atkinson behind this.

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
Funny that I read this after just reading another article saying how gaming improves your brain in various ways. Australia's government and scientist don't seem to think along the same logic lines as the rest of the world, unfortunately for everyone else who lives down there.

Goronmon

Aug 31, 2006
According to various experts, Dr. Wayne Warburton kills puppies as a long-time hobby. Won't someone think of the puppies!

Local_Al

Feb 23, 2010
This report is stupid. I can see that Supernanny must have paid someone off for this. What a *****!
Of course by playing the Wii. I have never came close to a heart attack like that before!

Gaming has benefits! hand-eye-coordination. Tech know-how. Teambuilding and best of all, ENTERTAINING.

Onomatopeia

Aug 11, 2008
Reading reports like this make me incrediably disappointed and embarassed for how our media outlets choose to deliver and misuse information without credulous sources. Not to mention how readily accepted it is by our backwater general population.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
In other news; the United States have recorded record low rates of violent crimes for 2009. No one is quite sure what has been causing this decade long decline of violence, and few people show any interest of figuring it out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/01/AR2010010101829.html

Coming up next, are violent video games turning our kids into violent criminals? Find out after the break.

EDIT:
Phyroxis said:
Nice :D

I like how they have a statistic called "Forcible Rape". Is there such a thing as unforcible rape?

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
Moar kiddy kreim yoo sai?

Whuut: http://www.ojjdp.ncjrs.gov/ojstatbb/crime/qa05101.asp?qaDate=2008

Whuut x2: http://www.ojjdp.ncjrs.gov/ojstatbb/crime/qa05301.asp?qaDate=20040801

And an even bigger WHUUUUT: http://www.jjustice.org/pdf/OakPark%2520Juv%2520Crime%2520Trends%2520Down%2520Aug%252013%252008.pdf (pdf)

And finally: http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=9747&page=26

So.. Australia, you must have some fucked up kids running around to support your claim of EXPLOSIVE!?!?!??!??! violence.

Local_Al

Feb 23, 2010
They're kids that commit crimes in my county. that isn't proof at all. I did mean count and Country

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
T said:
as if Australia's Imperial Mage clapped his hands and sent forth his drakes to call the wizards of the council to his dark tower
You should be the public face of games and gamers because you, sir, are awesome.
I agree. This was the only thing I'll be taking away from this, otherwise, well written piece. I will treasure the image in my mind.

That said, I'd wager it's true that kids brains are pretty easy to affect. As was mentioned up stream, you can condition kids to anything. So while I agree that video games does NOT lead to violence as a general statement I DO think that care should be taken by the parents as to how, when and how much their kids play.
But that's about as far as I'll go. The fact that kids needs to have rules set by their parents does not, in fact, mean that an 18+ rating is the undoing of moral fabric of society.

I'll take myself as en example: I am a gamer, I play role playing games (the pen and paper ones), I listen to metal, I drink, I smoke(though it seems that is the least of my vices according to this), I read comics, I read books, I watch movies and I even dance at times. By all right I should be doing life for multiple horrible murders and school shootings. But I'm not. And neither are most gamers, rpg'er, metal heads, drinkers or smokers. Not even dancers.

I was brought up well and I was playing under various degrees of supervision. I got context. So when I started on the more violent stuff I was "all grown up brain molding wise".

I got my first computer at 10, an Amiga 500 and have been a PC gamer since I was 15, in 1995 and have all three Playstations (though I'll be buggered if I'm not pissed at Sony at the time of writing. Damn expensive brick they've made 3 into.). I'm not new to gaming, and I remember the talk about Doom back in the day.

I also see a potential problem with the ready availability of games from a very young age these days. As I said, when I was a kid we didn't have games. Simply because there were none to be had. The NES was rare to the point that I only had one mate who had one. Another had a Commodore 64 and that was pretty spectacular back then. We simply didn't have the option of gaming until we were older.

Running the risk of being an old fart and yelling for the kids to get of my lawn, I think the parents these days have a huge responsibility to introduce their kids to gaming in a proper fashion. That goes for cell phones, Facebook and what not as well. No way in hell my kids are getting a cell before they are 15 or so. They should get a childhood without the insane need to be "on" all the time. Likewise their gaming, if they even want to play, will be heavily moderated.

Now get of my lawn!

I guess I ended up taking a few more points from the article. Well done Mr. Chalk. Now I will withdraw and venture back into the Zone to find Strelok.

Edit: also, well done on the picture, Mr. Chalk. Very apt if might comment.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Mr Warburton is a psychologist yes, and he is doing research into behaviour in relation to video games (and a host of other areas) and violence, but he's also a paid up member and spokesman of the ACCM and is apparently a financial consellor in between all that hard research...

http://www.iec.mq.edu.au/staff_bio.aspx?sid=412

You can even e-mail him here apparently...

As fox would say, it's a "fair and balanced" expose, one that no doubt duely informed the viewer that the purported scientist is a speaker for an anti-gaming group...*sigh*...

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
I think the use of cancer was all fear mongering "You know cancer, that really scary illness, WELL THIS IS WORSE THAN THAT!" Unless the chances of being a major criminal increase by 50% on top of the usual amount than usual the person who wrote that artical can STFU. These people annoy me. "Games are the reason for all problems in society" Crime rates are fairly solid all over, no amount of punishment or prevention will stop a criminal, they are desperate people. From death scentance to verbal warning, crime rates show no massive decrease for iether.

I have a very vivid and random image from this.

"JIMMY come here!"
"What dad?"
"WHAT IS THIS!"
"Dad seriously thats not mine, i was holding it for a friend."
"You bring grand theft auto into MY house, MY HOUSE! Do you have any idea how bad these are for you, i dont care if its yours, you have GTA in your possession, i want you to get rid of this RIGHT NOW!"
"Im sorry dad i swear youl never see it again"
"Sorry isnt good enough, i want you to take 3 of these packs, go up to your room and think about what you did."

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Excuse me, australians, are your politicians 8 years old? To be setting this up ... my god.

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
Video games aren't causing violence in Australia. The fucked up society, conservatism and straight out bullshit views are.

awesomeClaw said:
But...how...wha? That´s the stupidest thing i´ve heard today, and thats saying alot. Fuck it, im gonna go play some heavy rain.
Also, I wouldn't do that, considering the PS3 bug that's on the loose. Look it up, if you're not sure you're in the safe zone.

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
This is the single most flameingly retarded thing that I've heard in days. Go fuck yourselves, you ignorant, scaremongering cockbags I consider your argument misinformed.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I'm totally convinced these guys were kicked out of their COD clan and are now bitter and pissy over it.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Report: Gaming is the product of Satan and if you play, you'll become one of his little minions.
What?
About as likely, I say.
somedude98 said:
I think the use of cancer was all fear mongering "You know cancer, that really scary illness, WELL THIS IS WORSE THAN THAT!" Unless the chances of being a major criminal increase by 50% on top of the usual amount than usual the person who wrote that artical can STFU. These people annoy me. "Games are the reason for all problems in society" Crime rates are fairly solid all over, no amount of punishment or prevention will stop a criminal, they are desperate people. From death scentance to verbal warning, crime rates show no massive decrease for iether.

I have a very vivid and random image from this.

"JIMMY come here!"
"What dad?"
"WHAT IS THIS!"
"You bring grand theft auto into MY house, MY HOUSE! Do you have any idea how bad these are for you, i dont care if its yours, you have GTA in your possession, i want you to get rid of this RIGHT NOW!"
"Sorry isnt good enough, i want you to take 3 of these packs, go up to your room and think about what you did."
You forgot: "I learned it from watching YOU!"

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
How long before the call goes out for gaming to have its very own threat level?

'The possibility of a game-related violent rampage has today caused the threat level to be raised to 'Orange' following the release of Dante's Inferno.'

BlueTomfoolery

Dec 3, 2008
somedude98 said:
"JIMMY come here!"
"What dad?"
"WHAT IS THIS!"
"I learned playing GTA from YOU, Dad!"

Parents who play videogames have children who play videogames.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
of corsce violent game cause violans in game so dose movie, comics, books and sports. the fact is if a game is rated adult only it is the perants chose to give it to the kid so the games idustri cant be held acountibl