Report: Mass Effect Put on Indefinite Hold

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
This irritates me because I was in the middle of my second playthrough with a third run to be my chosen "canon" playthrough for the future imports.

I had a few issues with the game like anyone else but it was still more Mass Effect :(

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
DemomanHusband said:
To be fair, saying you were surprised by how good a game like ME:A was is like saying you were surprised by how dry the ocean is, it displays a blatant lack of objective understanding of your own experiences.
Wait. Are you reading our minds across the internet? When some of us say "Yea, it wasn't bad" you're saying we're... wrong somehow? Like my 120 hours was me secretly not liking the game?
While I stand by that some opinions can be outright wrong, this one feels a bit dumb to me.
"I like this game"
"No, you're wrong because you don't understand yourself."
"....?????"

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
TheVampwizimp said:
If it really is over it will be a sad case of a good franchise killed by a shitty fan base, and that just upsets me.
"Killed by a shitty fanbase."

People seeing that a game is rubbish and not buying it makes them shitty?

Does this mean I get to call people shitty for not buying enough copies of Mirror's Edge to make it a smash hit? I mean, I would have thought that would be a spitefully petty thing to say, but apparently it's the way to go.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Ukomba said:
All I know is I didn't buy it. Primarily it was because I was hoping for them to run with the indoctrination theory
I don't see how anyone could still have been holding out for something validating the IT to be implemented considering how the EC canonically disproves everything the IT suggests about the ending. After the EC, the only thing about the IT that has merit is the evidence that Shepard was in the process of being Indoctrinated throughout the trilogy...but much like that star that was being affected by dark energy in ME2: Shepard's possible Indoctrination was a story thread that was never developed.

DemomanHusband said:
To be fair, saying you were surprised by how good a game like ME:A was is like saying you were surprised by how dry the ocean is, it displays a blatant lack of objective understanding of your own experiences. ME:A is not a good game, not even a passable game with solid mechanics bogged down by bugs, it's through-and-through bad. Trying to pass off all the blame for the franchise's death onto 'the community' is just putting blinders on.
Granted: I agree that the studio had more to do with the game's reception than a toxic community, but that doesn't mean that you get to dictate what someone else considers to be a good game. If Vampwizimp thought the game was surprisingly good then - per Vampwizimp's tastes - it was good. You're welcome to disagree with that if you want, but there is nothing objective about personal tastes and preferences.

Your comparison regarding calling the ocean dry doesn't work because water being wet is an objectively observable fact that isn't based on personal tastes/preferences. Whether or not an individual finds a game to be good and enjoyable - regardless of whatever objectively observable flaws it may have - is still an entirely subjective matter since it is based on personal tastes/preferences.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
What a shock.....

Like for a moment, I was hoping that between TitanFall 2 and Battlefield 1 that EA was kinda beginning to learn something finally.
But NOPE, Gotta stick to that business model!

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
How tragic that I got what I wanted out of MEA (A Female Turian Romance Option) and the rest of the game was so bad there will never be a 2nd & 3rd Andromeda.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Cold Shiny said:
GOOD! ME:A was a total dumpster fire. I love to watch hubris destroy stuff I hate.

On a more level headed note, I like the way the AAA Industry is responding to consumers.

"Assassin's Creed didn't sell well this time? Let's take a break."

"Andromeda wasn't received well? Let's focus on other stuff."

Its nice to know that they aren't tied down to something that clearly isn't going in a good direction.

And you never know, maybe they'll come back to these franchises with renewed vigor.
I do like that they aren't trying to shove it down our throats. On the other hand, it's been 5 years since the last Mass Effect game came out before all this. I don't think renewed vigor will solve the problems that arose this time.

But again, I think it's definitely an improvement over just shoving a sequel down our throats.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
The Enquirer said:
I do like that they aren't trying to shove it down our throats. On the other hand, it's been 5 years since the last Mass Effect game came out before all this. I don't think renewed vigor will solve the problems that arose this time.
Agreed - at the end of the day though this all comes down to the money.

Whether or not the game was actually good is a related issue, though not necessarily the most important one (it's not like there's never been "bad" games that made loads of money).

If ME:A had shipped record numbers despite the quality concerns, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Work on the sequel would probably already be underway internally. Or if the game had been cheaper to make so that it was still successful despite lower sales numbers, same thing. High cost / "low" sales was always going to be a killer though.

All that said, I'll be surprised if this is the last we ever see of Mass Effect. For better or worse it's got brand recognition, and especially in today's day and age that's worth something. It's why we get endless reboots of everything from movies to games. At some point EA will decide it's time to trot the franchise out again because it's easier than coming up with another new original idea.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
MC1980 said:
TheVampwizimp said:
Well, this sucks. I was very happy to be surprised at how good Andromeda is, and sequels were clearly planned for it. If it really is over it will be a sad case of a good franchise killed by a shitty fan base, and that just upsets me.
Man am I happy that your object of affection was so terrible everyone with standards rejected it.
Things like this really are just cherries on top of the shitty cake that was Andromeda. I always enjoy getting free fuel for my smugness.

RIP you once great franchise.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Man, I remember when Mass Effect was good and Bioware could actually write a story worth a damn. What happened to those good old times?

Ah well, at least all the other triple A games this year are fuckin' fantastic. Nier, Persona 5, Prey and probably some others i'm forgetting. BlazBlue Central Fiction managed to be the best fighting game i've played in my life and the character roster is completely unbalanced garbage! Really says something about the gameplay when I can play trash tier characters online and still have fun. I still giggle when Terumi pulls off the 8.7k damage cheese with just Overdrive'd chains from fullscreen into Exceed. Active Flow is the dumbest thing...

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Silentpony said:
Good. They made a bad game, they deserve to get shit-canned as a result.
Assuming this wasn't sarcastic...I don't understand this mentality. Why are we brought up to learn from our mistakes and improve but once a big project fails the answer is to fire everyone?

With that view it's amazing Zelda and Castlevania franchises survived beyond the second installments.

The Mass Effect universe has a lot to offer. I don't think one merely 'decent' installment should be enough to kill the franchise.

Jeralt2100

Jun 9, 2010
On hold? Well, you already have Bioware's new IP coming out, plus the next Dragon Age. All this announcement tells me is that the secondary studio that they used to develop Andromeda isn't going to be allowed to touch another game by themselves. Wasn't expecting another entry in the series for 5-6 years anyway given their pattern.

JayDeth

Dec 18, 2009
EA: Uh oh. We fucked up another one. Better hurry up and gut what's left of the development team before we inevitably shut the studio down entirely. Wonder why this keeps happening... Ah well, no time to be introspective. Gotta keep repeatedly making the same dumb mistakes we've been making for years to appease the voices in my head...

Nov 28, 2007
I enjoyed it. If other people didn't, that's fine. I'm not saying Mass Effect: Andromeda doesn't have problems, because it does.

Clearly, despite having been playing video games for over 20 years, I'm a terrible gamer, though, simply because I can look past the flaws and still enjoy the game.

Is it as good as the other Mass Effect games? No. Is it a bad game? I don't personally think so.

The news that it's been put on hold isn't all that surprising, though. Right now, the team (as it is) seems to be putting most of its effort into fixing the problems with Mass Effect: Andromeda. I'd rather they put any future plans on hold until they are done with this one than try to split their focus.

Also, since when is "moving people to different studios to work on other games in development" the same thing as "downsizing"? To me, downsizing would be letting people go, not simply moving them to where they are most needed.

I don't know, maybe I'm foolishly optimistic, but I find the reaction to the information to be a bit hasty.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I guess they would have to phrase it in that fashion to not scare away investors. Honestly, this awfully lawyerly phrasing doesn't inspire confidence in any real people, or so I'd think.

Ah well, Persona 5 exists so all is well.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
babinro said:
Silentpony said:
Good. They made a bad game, they deserve to get shit-canned as a result.
Assuming this wasn't sarcastic...I don't understand this mentality. Why are we brought up to learn from our mistakes and improve but once a big project fails the answer is to fire everyone?

With that view it's amazing Zelda and Castlevania franchises survived beyond the second installments.

The Mass Effect universe has a lot to offer. I don't think one merely 'decent' installment should be enough to kill the franchise.
What school did you go to?! When I got the answer wrong on a test, I was marked wrong. When I failed a class, I failed. No one said "Oh, well at least you tried your best, and as we all know, in Calculus, its the thought that counts..."

In the real world when you fail a project, you're fired. You don't still go on to the next grade or get a chance to repeat the class. You failed, you're fired.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Silentpony said:
What school did you go to?! When I got the answer wrong on a test, I was marked wrong. When I failed a class, I failed. No one said "Oh, well at least you tried your best, and as we all know, in Calculus, its the thought that counts..."

In the real world when you fail a project, you're fired. You don't still go on to the next grade or get a chance to repeat the class. You failed, you're fired.
Obviously there are some failures that justify firing. But in the real world, people often don't get fired just because they make a mistake - especially people and projects a company has made significant investments in that can be salvaged or put to future use. Even on a purely economic basis, it's usually cheaper to get the same person/team/whatever to learn from their mistake and do better next time than it is to burn everything to the ground and start over with new people you'll have to retrain from scratch.

Arguing otherwise is arguing that companies don't like money... and that's not an argument you're likely to win ;)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
DemomanHusband said:
lacktheknack said:
Imre Csete said:
TheVampwizimp said:
Well, this sucks. I was very happy to be surprised at how good Andromeda is, and sequels were clearly planned for it. If it really is over it will be a sad case of a good franchise killed by a shitty fan base, and that just upsets me.
No good Sir, there comes a time when you can no longer blame the Toxic Community? for everything bad.

This was EA cashing in on the brand name, with the B team handling a project that was way over their heads.
He just said that he was surprised at how good it was.

Or did you just ignore that because...?
To be fair, saying you were surprised by how good a game like ME:A was is like saying you were surprised by how dry the ocean is, it displays a blatant lack of objective understanding of your own experiences. ME:A is not a good game, not even a passable game with solid mechanics bogged down by bugs, it's through-and-through bad. Trying to pass off all the blame for the franchise's death onto 'the community' is just putting blinders on.
"lack of objective understanding of your own experience"

Stop. PLEASE stop. You're making yourself look so bad.