Report: Mass Effect Put on Indefinite Hold

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Some things you just can't write a sequel to, and Mass Effect is one of them. I haven't played Andromeda yet, but the tidbits I was getting from friends made me think "gee, that's pretty fucking stupid" more times than I would care for.

I'm sad that a franchise I loved from a developer I like (don't give a shit about their 'political agenda') had to get dragged through the mud one last time before EA finally realized that maybe you can't continually cash-in on franchises and expect your consumers to just smile while you piss in their face, but maybe now they'll get their shit together. I feel bad for the people that liked the game in-spite of it's faults, and hey, maybe a sequel would have done better, but it's better than EA beating soulless sequels out of Bioware's B-Team just for the sake of getting more stuff out there.

Jan 19, 2016
Hopefully EA have at least learned that pushing out a game that is clearly not ready just to make quarterly earnings call is ultimately self defeating. In addition to the lost sales as a result of the horrible PR around the launch, how much brand damage has Mass Effect and Bioware sustained as a result of this debacle? There's no avoiding the fact that this is at least partially a management induced own-goal.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
MC1980 said:
immortalfrieza said:
fi6eka said:
immortalfrieza said:
.....Mass Effect Andromeda is a very good game with great story, characters, and gameplay with an incredible amount of potential......
Apparently stating a fact is laugh worthy around here. Andromeda IS a very good game by any objective standard, the shooting is fluid and tactical, the graphics are gorgeous, the story is gripping, the characters are fun and avoid being too cliched, the exploration is varied and avoids getting repetitive... all that isn't enough for a fanbase that is never EVER satisfied.
Ok, now that gif is justified.
Reading comments here recently is like like watching these poor bastards struggle

it's hilarious but if you dare to laugh you're instantly called a dick.

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
immortalfrieza said:
fi6eka said:
immortalfrieza said:
.....Mass Effect Andromeda is a very good game with great story, characters, and gameplay with an incredible amount of potential......
Apparently stating a fact is laugh worthy around here. Andromeda IS a very good game by any objective standard, the shooting is fluid and tactical, the graphics are gorgeous, the story is gripping, the characters are fun and avoid being too cliched, the exploration is varied and avoids getting repetitive... all that isn't enough for a fanbase that is never EVER satisfied.
Don't bother trying to communicate with disgruntled ex-fans. It's like trying to explain why fair YouTube policies and free advertising through word of mouth are good to a Nintendrone. You're just bashing your head into a brick wall of stupid.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Now we just need the same to happen to Battlefront 2 and just maybe EA will give that a rest for a bit too

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Eugh there is nothing worst then an unfinished story.. Ok that's a lie, there's tons worst but this is still pretty annoying if you were invested in the story despite the criticisms.

I was waiting to get the game at a later stage personally but this somewhat killed my desire, I'd much rather take a chance on a few steam indie games rather then run the risk of actually liking ME:A then getting salty as hell that most of the questions don't get answered and the ending is a big "to be continued" that never will be continued.

Guess EA gonna EA.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Well seeing as they made Mass Effect inquisition with basically no renegade way of doing things, or thats the gist of what I've gotten from watching gameplay from youtube, I am not going to cry rivers over this. Fingers crossed that next project wont be such a pancake, though knowing EA thats probably too much to ask.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
I just wish someone made continuation of Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines.
Just probably now they would need to put in jabs at leftist nonsense attacking games instead of right wackos doing so.
Think that was the only game in which I could spend hours listening to things going on in the background.
Bah I'll re-install it today :S

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
fi6eka said:
I sence a great disturbance in the Buthurt.Projecting a bit hard aren't we sweety?Did i offent your magnificent and unreproachable taste in video games so hard, that it led you to making pathetic ad hominem attacks?
Jut FYI - the only thing i was a fanboy of was Fallout and that was before Bethesda decided to brutally murder and then rape the still twitching corpse of one of my favourite rpgs.
I don't know what's more hilarious; the fact that you just succinctly proved my point, or the fact that you countered a "pathetic ad hominem" with a pathetic ad hominem.

Though in fairness I will completely cede one point.

Waifus/husbandos and tumblerites who only care if there is an NPC that self-idenifies as a tapeworm.
I don't know if you caught this in the game, but they apparently made male-pronoun-preference asari a thing. Despite the fact that they have no biological equivalent, and prior to becoming spacefaring, would have little concept of what male *is*, because muh-progresshun.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Imre Csete said:
TheVampwizimp said:
Well, this sucks. I was very happy to be surprised at how good Andromeda is, and sequels were clearly planned for it. If it really is over it will be a sad case of a good franchise killed by a shitty fan base, and that just upsets me.
No good Sir, there comes a time when you can no longer blame the Toxic Community? for everything bad.

This was EA cashing in on the brand name, with the B team handling a project that was way over their heads.
I'm with Vampwizimp... I liked it.

Sure the first 10 hours were a drag but I found that to be true of Mass Effect as well, and I love that game. Once you meet the Angaran and the story picks up, it becomes a great game. I don't care for the facial animation during convos anyways. I care about the way the game looks during gameplay and the story in this case. Both were excellent.

breadsammich

May 5, 2011
I think Totalbiscuit said it best when he said that if ever there was a 7/10 game in the truest sense, this would be it. The problem is that too many people see this as a binary state. The game is either amazing or the worst game ever. How many people who would have *actually* enjoyed the game were dissuaded by this scorched-earth hate policy? If there were more voices saying, "yeah, it's a pretty fun, yet flawed game", which I think is the case, you might have more people picking it up and having a decent time of it.

It's gotten to the point where I don't give any weight to any criticism that doesn't have at least one praise. I mean come on, you mean to tell me you started up the game and didn't have an ounce of fun from the second you started? There was no redeeming quality to the game? I'm sure it happens, but not as often as the internet seems to indicate. Overall I loved Andromeda, but I'm not looking for a mindblowing experience, nor do I really have high expectations for just about any game. I'm pretty easy to please, and I'm sure there are a lot of people out there like me. I hope there weren't many turned away by the vitriol.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
The ultimate message is to STOP PREORDERING GAMES!
I have a very simple policy, if I liked the last game from a developer I'll preorder the next one.

I cheated a bit with pre-ordering ME3, but at least the multiplayer saved it.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
Sheo_Dagana said:
Some things you just can't write a sequel to, and Mass Effect is one of them.
An intentional choice by McCasey of course, which is why I agree with the poster who said that the ME3 ending was entirely on Bioware.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Bilious Green said:
Hopefully EA have at least learned that pushing out a game that is clearly not ready just to make quarterly earnings call is ultimately self defeating. In addition to the lost sales as a result of the horrible PR around the launch, how much brand damage has Mass Effect and Bioware sustained as a result of this debacle? There's no avoiding the fact that this is at least partially a management induced own-goal.
Partially, sure, but I think a lot of this has to be put back on Bioware: they did have five years and a AAA budget to make this game after all.

If they gave them more time and money I think you definitely get better QA and better animation. But I don't know that you necessarily get better pacing or writing or a better overall concept.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
im not surprised its put on hold when EA were expecting sales of 6-9 M units basically the same if not more sales than ME3.. there is no way it was going to achieve that level

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
pookie101 said:
im not surprised its put on hold when EA were expecting sales of 6-9 M units basically the same if not more sales than ME3.. there is no way it was going to achieve that level
Really? These sales expectations of big AAA companies are getting more and more ridiculous...

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Orga777 said:
pookie101 said:
Really? These sales expectations of big AAA companies are getting more and more ridiculous...
i know right..

ME3 the end of a beloved trilogy sold 6M units and they were expecting the start of this new one to make that or more..