Review: Call of Duty: Black Ops

bob-2000

Jun 28, 2009
Wow, this conflicts with... pretty much every other review out there.

Hey, this may be an odd observation, but did Russ Pitts totally sound like Alistar from Dragon Age near the end there?

stickman794

Jun 26, 2010
i have played and beat black ops and all i can say is wow. It was so bad i wanted to cry. im going right back to mw2 and staying to it. I will give black ops for having a better story but thats about it. The multiplayer feels like a really out dated version of mw2. There is nothing good to say about the multiplayer. Last note the spawning in multiplayer is the wrost part of the game the other team will always spawn dead behide u. No really i watch the killcams and they just spawn and pop there they are dead behide me

devildog1170

Apr 17, 2009
Alright, just gotta say, this guy is dead wrong. He acts like the campaign is complete trash, when really, its probably the best in the series so far. It tells a cool story loosely tied into the Cold War, and honestly, I think this guy has some type of bias against it.

duck-man

Mar 17, 2009
@zizak,
With regards to reviews, I don't think that you're meant to go off the one :D Or for that matter see it as 'This is bad about the game, This is good about the game'
The idea is that if he didn't like it, felt that everything had been done before and better, perhaps finally got sick of the implausibility or lack of player control... The point is that if one person thought this then there's bound to be others getting the same impression, and even though the majority of other reviews didn't mind the same things at least now we can find that not Everyone will like the game, mixed reviews are useful! In my opinion anyway...

kokirisoldier

Apr 15, 2008
If you have seen the movie "Fight Club" then you have played Call of Duty: Black Ops.

I don't want to say anything more than that.

kokirisoldier

Apr 15, 2008
Jfswift said:
kokirisoldier said:
I completely agree the campaign story makes no sense. Another thing what is up with the grenades and explosions sounding like they're underwater/muffled?
I noticed this too but I've heard explosions before from fireworks and detonated bombs. They do kind of make that odd thudding sound. I think it's a decent sound effect anyway. (story mode is crazy too I agree)
Well I guess I am a little bias because I work with artillery in the U.S Army (mostly the M198). But I have heard RPG's, hand grenades, mortars and artillery in real life and they do dont sound like a pillow was wrapped around them.

Weapon0fCho1ce

Nov 13, 2010
I read this and made an account just so i could support and defend the first game that i think Treyarch finally did a GOOD FUCKING JOB ON.

First of all, i really liked the way they told mason's story while being interrogated. It makes me want to know who his captors are, and i cant wait to find out how he got into that situation.

Secondly, I've heard a lot of people bash the story, and personally I thoroughly enjoy it, especially once i found out Reznov is back. Cuz reznov is a fuckin badass.

By the way, what bad voice acting are you referring to?? the only thing that i noticed was that Kennedy's voice actor sounded a little odd. other than that, it's been just as good as any other.

What's wrong with the graphics? once again, all i see is improvement. And what the fuck is wrong with the smoking *****?

To sum this massive rant up, all I've seen from black ops so far is more and more proof that Treyarch is finally taking steps in the right direction. Cod3 was bad. WaW was good. Black Ops is great.

and to all the fuckers who read the review and just went "it must be pretty bad then," play it at a friend's house and make up your own fucking mind, because i'm fairly certain the reviewer's lost his. Thanks for reading. Boner.

Weapon0fCho1ce

Nov 13, 2010
i would just like to be a stickler and say that i have ADHD, and this game, to me, is the best and most refined yet in the series.

Weapon0fCho1ce

Nov 13, 2010
@JohnMillward_1 and @chemicalreaper:
Kudos for keeping your cool, you two did a much better job than i. Also, chemicalreaper, you really SHOULD apply for his job. Then when you get it, shit on his desk (unless his desk becomes your desk, in which case, shit in his box of assorted items he'll be demanded to take with him when he leaves the premises).

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Funny this was the very first Call of Duty game I REALLY enjoyed. The graphices are gorgeous, there are tons of epic moments and, this time around, there was decent storytelling, GUYS you get to kill VCs to the sound of Sympathy for the Devil, damn took me back to the insanity of Apocalypse Now (the key word here being INSANITY). Now, this reviewer is just a very bitter person, I'd say he's sad cause this is not one of those games where you're supposed to just kill everything and never mind the story...

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Dear lord was that hard to watch!

Russ, man, I truly respect you for not being afraid to call it like you see it. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon of "Russ says it's crap! It must be true!", I'm just really glad that you decided to speak your mind and let people know what you personally think. Well done, good sir!

That being said, I still plan on getting it at some point as I'm really interested in the story. Also zombies.

Karratti

Apr 27, 2010
Finally! I've just been waiting for someone to finally say this like it is. Every reviewer and his mother has been singing praises about this game, and I just couldn't figure it out. I kept thinking, "Did they play the same game that I did?"

I loved Modern Warfare. Loved Modern Warfare 2 even more. But at the end of this "epic" campaign that should have been at the heart of Black Ops, I uttered a subtle "Eh", and ejected the game. All of the interesting stuff about Modern Warfare seems to have been just thrown out it Black Ops.

Thank you so much for this review. Confirmed that I am not, in fact, completely crazy. Maybe a little, but not completely.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Karratti said:
Finally! I've just been waiting for someone to finally say this like it is. Every reviewer and his mother has been singing praises about this game, and I just couldn't figure it out. I kept thinking, "Did they play the same game that I did?"

I loved Modern Warfare. Loved Modern Warfare 2 even more. But at the end of this "epic" campaign that should have been at the heart of Black Ops, I uttered a subtle "Eh", and ejected the game. All of the interesting stuff about Modern Warfare seems to have been just thrown out it Black Ops.

Thank you so much for this review. Confirmed that I am not, in fact, completely crazy. Maybe a little, but not completely.
Just beat the campaign yesterday, and I have to agree with that statement. Black Ops is step backwards, but sadly we don't exactly have a lot of choices considering IW's predicament and IWnet current state.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
SomeLameStuff said:
Treyarch just can't seem to make good games, their last ray of light was snuffed out after Spiderman 2.

Still, all my friends are shifting to BlOps, so I guess I'll have to follow suit or be left alone in a CoD 4 server.

At least there's zombies.
Didn't Treyarch make CoD3? Heralded as the best Call of Duty?
Then again, that was some time ago, and changes in development teams has affected them. CoD WaW was pretty good though (in my opinion).

OT: I read this review cos I wanted to see what the story might be like, but I found out you don't need to complete the Single player to get Zombies, so I'm set!
Still gonna wait to buy it though.

Sabartooth101

Oct 5, 2010
Look, the story is not bad at all, it just requiers you to THINK and to follow it yourself instead of having the game hold ur hand and spell out every obvious plot twist.In my first play through I understood it all. The game's story treats you as a thinking being, unlike nearly all other shooters.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
UberMore said:
SomeLameStuff said:
Treyarch just can't seem to make good games, their last ray of light was snuffed out after Spiderman 2.

Still, all my friends are shifting to BlOps, so I guess I'll have to follow suit or be left alone in a CoD 4 server.

Then again, that was some time ago, and changes in development teams has affected them. CoD WaW was pretty good though (in my opinion).

OT: I read this review cos I wanted to see what the story might be like, but I found out you don't need to complete the Single player to get Zombies, so I'm set!
*chokes*

I think you got your games mixed up there. CoD3 is heralded as the worst Call of Duty. CoD2 is the one seen as the best.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
SomeLameStuff said:
UberMore said:
SomeLameStuff said:

*chokes*

I think you got your games mixed up there. CoD3 is heralded as the worst Call of Duty. CoD2 is the one seen as the best.
Blasted typos!

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Tdc2182 said:
Really? Cause it uh, seemed fine to me.

Nothing completely spectacular, but as far as single player FPS's go, its not bad.
And as far of "failing to be MW2" gameplay-wise, it does try adding more gameplay elements. You have to admit on hardcore mode, Spoiler> the Nova 6 attack section is pretty interesting. It's an interesting campaign, they've actually made a story this time, their own.

I also like how you've managed to complain about the missions involving "waiting to shoot people" and "shooting people". For an FPS, it's to be expected. Especially the waiting/sneaking in supposed stealth sections.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Skjutentrast said:
@ aaronmcc.

Can't help it, breed from /v/.
Anyhow, to take in to account how popular a title is, is to bring down the discussion a level. On MP, as long as the game has 10.000 players it's well over the amount it needs to be "alive"

Debating over if it's good or not with statistics over how many copies it has sold is to make the argument quality=popularity. Which would mean that Harry potter and Twilight are great books.
Anyhow, thanks for the welcome! And I do have a broom handle a bit to far up my ass to be able to NOT take things seriously ;)
Hey, it's cool man. I understand about when you love something and someone rips on it. Plus you should be prepared for the die-hard sarcasm and scathing humour around here. I suppose I actually used 'bleating sheep' instead of people because the mental image of lots of sheep playing COD is funny to me, I didn't actually intend to offend people and I'm kinda lucky that only a few people got disgruntled about the comment. Perhaps the whimsy meter wasn't turned up high enough.

so...

[extreme whimsy]can 5.6 million PEOPLE be wrong?[/whimsy]