Review: inFamous

crackdealer

May 9, 2009
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
I was thinking of getting this as soon as it came out... but now I'm a little skeptical. Still, I haven't gotten used to Jordan's game tastes as of yet... so I think I'll give it a rental as per recommendation rather than being sure of the hit or miss of it.
Gametrailers, who are notoriously 360 Biased, gave inFAMOUS a 9.0/10, So It's got to be good.
Well, yeah that and it comes with a Drakes Uncharted 2 beta. So I was gonna get it regardless, like how my roomie got Crackdown for the Halo 3 beta. Guess I'm just a sucker.

Valiard

Feb 26, 2009
I tl;dr'ed the last 5 posts but all i have to add is this, did they really have to penalize the player for sticking on the neutral path, i mean let him be randomly flavored a hint of good a pinch of evil, and the lightning grenade brings it all together. I think thats what the crux of their problem was that it was only good or evil when there are so many delicious shades of grey.

jackiebrown22222

Jun 5, 2008
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
I was thinking of getting this as soon as it came out... but now I'm a little skeptical. Still, I haven't gotten used to Jordan's game tastes as of yet... so I think I'll give it a rental as per recommendation rather than being sure of the hit or miss of it.
Gametrailers, who are notoriously 360 Biased, gave inFAMOUS a 9.0/10, So It's got to be good.
Um, except they AREN'T 360 biased. If you need any more proof of that, then you need to be listening to Invisible Walls. They are mature adults with jobs, relationships, and a life who have better things to do with their lives then to fuck with their visitors and worship one particular console over another, unlike most of the immature little kids who troll the forums over there, who think being stupid fanboys will somehow make them feel better about themselves.

As for the review, that's something I've noticed since the developers first talked about this "good and evil" concept. That's very unfortunate, since after reading some of the reviews, I was kinda excited about this. I'll stick with Red Faction and Prototype, and MAYBE give this a rent.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
Damn it! I was wanting this to be a super-exclusive! I wanted it to be the PS3s saviour!

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Worsle said:
No the problem with the review is it is only the morality system, ok it is a fairly 1 dimensional affair I get it, really trust me I get it. Though really I was expecting a review of the game not a short essay about the problems of tying a 2 choice morality system to the advancement. That and if you can't think of a game that is pro-neutrality why does that make it is specific fault to this game? Or even why should this game be trying to give you that choice? Maybe it would have made the game better, maybe not but really this review boils down to a paragraph and a half that is not about the morality system.
Maybe it's because no review is totally unbiased. If Jordan really found this morality system to hinder him constantly while playing the game, isn't it logical it is mention a lot?

ender214

Oct 30, 2008
meatloaf231 said:
This is exactly why games need to stop attaching numbers to morality. You can't quantify it. All theses system do is make you think "I want to do X Good or Evil deed so I can advance on the Good or Evil slider so I get the reward/power for being all the way to the Good or Evil side." Fallout 3 also suffered greatly from the Karma system.

Morals aren't numbers.
Yes, but numbers are currently the best way to measure and reward your choices. It'll be kind of strange if everyone was asking me to help them and calling me a hero even though I seem to kill every innocent that I see, wouldn't it? And it'll also be kind of strange if a good character could use massive area damage spells. Until something better comes out, I say morality meters stay.

Worsle

Jul 4, 2008
Alleged_Alec said:
Maybe it's because no review is totally unbiased. If Jordan really found this morality system to hinder him constantly while playing the game, isn't it logical it is mention a lot?
Yes but that does not stop it from feeling more like a short essay on why this reviews dislikes a certain game mechanic rather than a review of the game. While I dislike the numerical system of reviewing if you are going to do always with it I need more than a paragraph and a half on the game to understand the view point. I mean this is not to much to ask? If a review is to inform potential buyers I find my self rather uninformed, what about the gameplay was so repetitive? Am I the only one feeling a little out of the loop? While numbers seem to be an arbitrary thing slapped on at the end to get away from properly explaining your view this review is lacking both the explanation and the numbers.

Though I would note I did not call the review biased or unbiased so why you bring that up is beyond me. Having not played the game its not like I can even state my opinion on it but the reviews lack of information is there to see.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
After playing the demo... well... I sort of disagree with Mr. Deam, I'm definately going to be buying this, good and evil system be damned!

I love being Electric Spiderman.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
You know, the review says you'l tire of the city quickly, the demo players say they loved it... maybe it's just a game that doesn't stay fun for very long past the demo length?

UnwishedGunz

Apr 24, 2009
what i dont get is why he uses electrical based power to float in the air its wired whens the last time you saw a super hero use electricity to fly give him fire based powers or let the players pick which kind-o power they want to use

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Susan Arendt, I love your voice (sorry Jordan, kick a man when he's down)
can we bottle up your voice to bring peace and unity to the world.

Sorry I went listening intently to Susan's voice during that video supplement, so inFamous has kittens?, will there be a horse armour style DLC for my kitten when i finally get the game?.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Slycne said:
So while the karma moments are laughably only two sided, I think they were designed that way. The game is promoting you to the polar ends of the spectrum. Villains are psychotic douche bags and heroes are Jesus with a cooler skill set. It certainly fails to deliver mirroring a real moral decisions, but that's not its intent, from what I saw at least. The marketing hype did seem to latch on to that though. I think this might be a victim of a PR unit being out of touch with the game design.
Finally someone says it. It's designed to be a comic book, ofcourse your powers get stronger the ore you progress towards either side. I think it should work well within the game, can't wait to gice this a try.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Gunndam64 said:
what i dont get is why he uses electrical based power to float in the air its wired whens the last time you saw a super hero use electricity to fly give him fire based powers or let the players pick which kind-o power they want to use
Hmmmm... Yahtzee avatar... poor grammer... worse logic... but sure, I'll humor you...

Why not fire?

One reason I can think of is The Human Torch, that's why, for one Marvel is lawsuit happy and secondly... Fire is just so "done," electricity is new and exciting... sort of.

Also, picking your powers will show up eventually, but right now I imagine it would be a programming/game design impossibility. We're only JUST getting open world Super Hero games worth playing based off of VERY specific power sets.

Lastly, he doesn't fly, he glides...

Read "The Physics of Super Heroes" there are VERY FEW super heroes whose powers are REMOTELY possible.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
carsonnik said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Um, except they AREN'T 360 biased. If you need any more proof of that, then you need to be listening to Invisible Walls. They are mature adults with jobs, relationships, and a life who have better things to do with their lives then to fuck with their visitors and worship one particular console over another, unlike most of the immature little kids who troll the forums over there, who think being stupid fanboys will somehow make them feel better about themselves.

As for the review, that's something I've noticed since the developers first talked about this "good and evil" concept. That's very unfortunate, since after reading some of the reviews, I was kinda excited about this. I'll stick with Red Faction and Prototype, and MAYBE give this a rent.
We resolved this issue yesterday..
You have a valid point, and I agree that there is no proof against them being biased, hell, I'm not sure even what I said was correct. But let it go, really.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
ender214 said:
meatloaf231 said:
This is exactly why games need to stop attaching numbers to morality. You can't quantify it. All theses system do is make you think "I want to do X Good or Evil deed so I can advance on the Good or Evil slider so I get the reward/power for being all the way to the Good or Evil side." Fallout 3 also suffered greatly from the Karma system.

Morals aren't numbers.
Yes, but numbers are currently the best way to measure and reward your choices. It'll be kind of strange if everyone was asking me to help them and calling me a hero even though I seem to kill every innocent that I see, wouldn't it? And it'll also be kind of strange if a good character could use massive area damage spells. Until something better comes out, I say morality meters stay.
That's not my point. I'm saying that there shouldn't be rewards for your choices. No special abilities or items only available because you are evil or good, because this will influence people's decisions based on what reward they get rather than what their morals dictate.

There should a change in the way people react to/treat you, yes, but it shouldn't be actively measurable by the player. It should just be visible in the game worls.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
considering all I saw from it it looked like a sandbox third person shooter most of the time, Very disappointing.

In all honesty, I think i'll hold out for Prototype...

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
Why was one section of the game given more time than the actual gameplay? Isn't that what people are always saying is important? I'm getting this based on other reviews, but I would have appreciated a more indepth look from the Escapist... the freedom and climbing mechanics, the combat, even the story, all seemed to get ignored. I really think these reviews need to be longer as I never feel like I'm getting enough information about the game.

Archemetis said:
considering all I saw from it it looked like a sandbox third person shooter most of the time, Very disappointing.

In all honesty, I think i'll hold out for Prototype...
Most people have another opinion man, check out other sites as well: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/infamous?q=infamous

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
meatloaf231 said:
That's not my point. I'm saying that there shouldn't be rewards for your choices. No special abilities or items only available because you are evil or good, because this will influence people's decisions based on what reward they get rather than what their morals dictate.

There should a change in the way people react to/treat you, yes, but it shouldn't be actively measurable by the player. It should just be visible in the game worls.
Well, couldn't it, purely hypothetically, be a difference in how your powers work depending on if you're evil or good?
If your good, you'll do massive damage to a single target, and if you're evil, you'll do moderate damage to several targets?

But then again, then you might not choose allegiance depending on your choice, but instead depending on your playing style, just as you said.
Hhm, looks like you're right after all...