Review: inFamous

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
I keep thinking that a Hunter X Hunter game could work really well put into this mold. I mean, you could choose your character path, upgrade your specific talents, explore massive cities with myriad objectives lifted straight from the series or just mess around. The HXH series sort of falls on the edge of "superhero" without actually giving the characters spandex and ludicrous backstories, so I feel like it'd be a bit more tense than an average free-roaming superhero game. Your character would be very strong, but also very fragile.

I actually worked a fair bit on this idea before I even heard of Infamous and its ilk, but I'm no game designer so obviously somebody else would have to pick it up.

But hey, maybe anime games in general would be well-suited to this type of gameplay? I can think of at least a dozen titles that might be pretty awesome. Oh, and good review.

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
i think the game looks fantastic and all other reviews apart from this one were positive.
i get that a karma system isnt the most original or best ideas in the world but is it really game breaking. i have seen gameplay vids and a lot more than your powers change depending on your choices. THE WHOLE BLOODY CITY CHANGES! this was when i saw a video of some comparing being good with bad. in good the city was nice and intact with cole looking nice and pleasent. but when he is bad, his face is pearly white and the sky is red, all the buildings are broken and was a stunning contrast. but it looks like a well thought out game and looks to be a lot of fun

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Wow, this is the first negative review of inFamous i've seen... Not sure what that says...'specally since other sources have completly disagreed with you on most of your points, lauding the games attention to detail, the free running, and the NPC acting. Usually I'm 100% behind the Escapists reviews. I'd play this game and give my own 2cp but I got a 360... Still, i'm a bit confused by this review.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
harhol said:
I agree with alot of what Harhol said. While I don't mind a negative review once in a while, sometimes the criticism doesn't make the best of sense.

I finaly got around to playing the demo a couple of times, and I really enjoy it and look forward to getting it on release day (preordered).

One things for certain, riding the powerlines never gets old :D

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
How many nuances of morality do you see in your typical comic book? That seems like a misplaced criticism, particularly to base the recommendability upon it.

The greyness of the world looks to me like an artistic style to highlight the color of the lightning and effects. Maybe there could be more polys or better textures, you can't really tell from internet videos, but the look and feel seem fine to me.

InFamous seems to be getting the 360 fanboys excited which I take as a plus. I hadn't heard a thing about the game as of a week ago, but I'm edging toward a buy from what reviews I've seen.

...in other words, ditto Harhol.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
harhol said:
So Eurogamer and The Escapist give yet another PS3 exclusive a negative review. Ho hum...
Flower, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Noby Noby Boy, Valkria Chronicles, Savage Moon and Metal Gear Solid 4 were all recommended as Buy it. So unless I am missing a bunch more PS3 exclusives we haven't given "another" PS3 exclusive a negative review.

*Edit sorry missed Resistance 2, so one other PS3 exclusive we gave a bad review.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
harhol said:
Slycne said:
Flower, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Noby Noby Boy, Valkria Chronicles, Savage Moon and Metal Gear Solid 4 were all recommended as Buy it. So unless I am missing a bunch more PS3 exclusives we haven't given "another" PS3 exclusive a negative review.*Edit sorry missed Resistance 2, so one other PS3 exclusive we gave a bad review.
You are seriously suggesting that there are only five boxed exclusives available for PS3?
Not in the least, but those are the only PS3 exclusives that we have reviewed. Your quote seemed to suggest that we have some kind of bias against the PS3 and I was simply stating that our reviews of PS3 exclusives show quite the opposite.

dungeonmaster

Apr 30, 2008
Sounds to me that susan had a bottle of wine on this review, or what ever interesting video game reviewing babes drink lmao.
I'm assuming though.... She still sounds pisses off about velvet assassin.

dungeonmaster

Apr 30, 2008
Crazy
The66Monkey said:
lol it seams that D&D is still the only game that has like a neutral option =)
and yes we are lucky.
\

Crazy, thought I was the last person that still played D&D and not some online rpg.

darknight910

Apr 15, 2008
I'm not going to comment on the gameplay elements or the storyline as I haven't played the game myself and don't have a Playstation 3 but from what I've seen of the morality system and what it gives to the game itself is rather disappointing and seems to be getting unfortunately common. Gaming companies that keep touting their amount of "choice" in their games that ultimately boils down to in the gamer's mind into "What makes me stronger?" or "What gets me the most stuff?" is bad design, along with the fact that it always seems to be two very, very, VERY obvious good/evil choices.

It seems to me the only people who can get the idea of "choice" correct in a game is Bioware, especially the Star Wars: KOTOR games. Though the answers can sometimes be a bit obvious, the consequences of your choices are more set in stone and have different results. Gameplay wise, if you chose to follow the Dark Side, you gained more money and equipment then a true Jedi would, at least in the short term. Though a Light Side Jedi would be spending more of his cash towards charity and sacrificing items instead of keeping them for himself, he'd gain better powers or better equipment down the line then the Sith so it was rather balanced whichever side you chose. Even Bioshock gave the idea that your choices had consequences to them if you needed that ADAM fix you JUST couldn't afford and all you needed was to kill one Little Sister. Even if you saved every other Little Sister, that one little slip into selfishness would result in the Bad Ending.

But Bioshock also screwed up in that you never really needed to kill any of the Little Sisters in the first place as their is no incentive to do so. You might not get as much ADAM if you save them but along they way you'll be given packages that gave you more ADAM and items then you could possible get if you were to play a child-killing ADAM fiend. And from my perspective, inFamous, Fable and even Spiderman: Web of Shadows makes the whole idea of choice in a game pointless if its so easy to go back and forth in being considered good or evil.

I guess all I'm saying is make the choices less obvious, the rewards for playing either side have its good and bad points and if you can't do that, just give us a linear story.

P.S. Also, would it hurt to have a game that shows that Evil doesn't equal ugly? Being evil should be enticing, something that looks like not such a bad idea. Because I'd rather not have my skin turn ash grey, get all crinkly and scared and have red, veiny eyes, thank you very much.

Sacell

May 17, 2009
I would get this game. Kinda has the Good and evil like fable which I enjoyed. Loved kicking the little kids. This game look pretty tight.

Tayrtahn

Feb 24, 2008
Interesting review, though I disagree on a few points, mostly regarding the open-world aspect.

I got the feeling from the demo that the morality system could be a bit flawed, and that missions were likely to get repetitive. But then, in a game like this, I'm not all that concerned with the main storyline. I'm the kind of person who loves side missions, or better yet, making up my own tasks. The various gangs of the GTA series have spent countless hours patiently awaiting my arrival at the next shootout, while I'm off joyriding around the city in a stolen garbage truck. I really appreciate a game that lets me mess around in the world, especially if I can explore rooftops and attempt deadly stunts. Blend GTAIV and Mirror's Edge and I'll be a happy camper.

So, from the demo, I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the free-roaming abilities of InFamous. I find it incredibly satisfying to climb up a building, grind down a power line, do a flip off the end and land in a cloud of dust on the roof of a passing train. It actually manages to feel quite fluid, and the game seems to take momentum into account nicely when jumping between moving objects (leaping from a speeding train to something else). I'm still not sure if Prototype or InFamous will better pull this off, but I'll be considering both. Any advice on the matter is welcome.

Worsle

Jul 4, 2008
darknight910 said:
It seems to me the only people who can get the idea of "choice" correct in a game is Bioware, especially the Star Wars: KOTOR games. Though the answers can sometimes be a bit obvious, the consequences of your choices are more set in stone and have different results. Gameplay wise, if you chose to follow the Dark Side, you gained more money and equipment then a true Jedi would, at least in the short term. Though a Light Side Jedi would be spending more of his cash towards charity and sacrificing items instead of keeping them for himself, he'd gain better powers or better equipment down the line then the Sith so it was rather balanced whichever side you chose.
No kotor would be a good example of what was being railed against. Kotor2 would be an even worse example mostly because despite the main plot seeming to be about your being thought not to look at the force in a 2 dimensional manner and to consider the light and the dark side as one you where screwed out of the bonus classes unless you went one way or the other. Kotor was like this its self, you go to one side of the force and get reward for it, in the end your choices boil down to long term or short term rewards and what force powers you want to use. Neutral was not rewarded in either and I know kotor 2 was not bioware but the point still stands.

knightguy123

May 20, 2009
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
I see that my $60 investment was just. Thanks :D
It's good to see some generally negative, Non-Biased reviews of a game. But even from what I've seen, it still looks great.
you got it early?

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
knightguy123 said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
I see that my $60 investment was just. Thanks :D
It's good to see some generally negative, Non-Biased reviews of a game. But even from what I've seen, it still looks great.
you got it early?
Naw, just put all the money down on my Pre-order. :p