Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
deckai said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Why shouldn't i defend it?

[...]

And i have not played the game.
That's why, if you defend something that you didn't experienced yourself, you seem like a fanboy or sheep. All your points depend on the impressions others make (i.e. Your friends, the reviewer, the videomaker etc.) At best you can have a opinion on their opinions, knowing your sources may improve the reliability, but to really have the right to judge a game you need to play it yourself.
I understand.
And i apologize for arguing before i played it myself.
Though once i do play it(soon i hope) i doubt my view will change.

Though i still think my views on the Story, Voice Acting, and Characterization still stand as i don't think i need to have a controller in my hands to fully grasp the Cutscenes or Samus's awful monologue.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Turbo_ski said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Why shouldn't i defend it?
I completely and totally agree that its not that great of a Metroid Game.
But its still better than most are willing to acknowledge.
And i have not played the game.
All iv been able to do is talk with friends who have played it and watch videos of it, so my opinions come from that.
If you have not played it then you have no grounds to defend it. Watching someone play it doesn't give you any perspective how bad the controls are or how aggravating the game is to play because "interactive" cutscenes go out of their way to piss off the player. That's not even including the awful script, awful voice acting, and how sexist the game is in regards to women (only 2 human females in the game and they are both treated like they are weak and submissive and have mommy/daddy issues).
Like i told deckai i apologize for getting into this before i played the game.

But i still think my points about the Story, Voice Acting, and Characterization still stand.
And i agree, they all suck.
Well....i actually like the story, just not the way its told.

Turbo_ski

Dec 23, 2009
Covarr said:
When did "having any amount of human emotion" become "being weak"? She CHOSE to follow Adam's orders, he didn't force her to. She responded to bad things that happened to people she cared deeply about. And you know what else she did? SHE KEPT GOING. She had every reason to have an emotional breakdown, to give up and quit, and MOST PEOPLE couldn't have handled it, yet she went on. That is strength if ever I saw it.

Weakness or strength is in how you handle your fears, emotions, and challenges. Having humanity is not weakness, and anybody who claims otherwise is wrong.

P.S. Thanks
Sorry but that argument falls flat with the Varia Suit retardation and the fact she supposed to be world destroying and monster slaying veteran at this point. You do realize that Samus has defeated Ridley 4 times prior to this game, none of those times she ever took a moment to cry about how Ridley killed her family. It's complete bullshit and downright insulting she would do so at this point in the series. Also the fact they keep referring to her as lady and princess reconfirms that writer wanted Samus to be weak damsel in distress, the polar opposite of what Samus is previously known for.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Turbo_ski said:
Covarr said:
When did "having any amount of human emotion" become "being weak"? She CHOSE to follow Adam's orders, he didn't force her to. She responded to bad things that happened to people she cared deeply about. And you know what else she did? SHE KEPT GOING. She had every reason to have an emotional breakdown, to give up and quit, and MOST PEOPLE couldn't have handled it, yet she went on. That is strength if ever I saw it.

Weakness or strength is in how you handle your fears, emotions, and challenges. Having humanity is not weakness, and anybody who claims otherwise is wrong.

P.S. Thanks
Sorry but that argument falls flat with the Varia Suit retardation and the fact she supposed to be world destroying and monster slaying veteran at this point. You do realize that Samus has defeated Ridley 4 times prior to this game, none of those times she ever took a moment to cry about how Ridley killed her family. It's complete bullshit and downright insulting she would do so at this point in the series. Also the fact they keep referring to her as lady and princess reconfirms that writer wanted Samus to be weak damsel in distress, the polar opposite of what Samus is previously known for.
How does Samus having a Nickname from Adam and Anthony mean that Sakamoto wanted her to be a DiD?
In Fusion it was said that Adam called her Lady out of respect.
And Anthony, i figure its just a nickname.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
So how can people be simultaneously complaining that Samus did not have much characterization prior to this game, and adding more is what makes it bad, and also arguing that she was an extremely stoic "strong woman" (that term is extremely vague and almost meaningless, implying that female characters need to go above and beyond male characters to be valid, but we can let that pass) and that changing that is what makes this game bad?

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
omegawyrm said:
So how can people be simultaneously complaining that Samus did not have much characterization prior to this game, and adding more is what makes it bad, and also arguing that she was an extremely stoic "strong woman" (that term is extremely vague and almost meaningless, implying that female characters need to go above and beyond male characters to be valid, but we can let that pass) and that changing that is what makes this game bad?
Because the personality they choose to give her is at complete contrast to her every action in the past? That her 'new' personality is that of a cringing, whining little girl rather than the badass heroic figure we've all come to enjoy believing she was, and that this ruins a good deal of the fun when playing her as a character?

After all this is the character who's faced evil without cringing, she fought off Ridley multiple times and takes her tasks with stoic silence, which itself is a sort of characterization. She's explored undiscovered worlds and faced beasts never before encountered, fighting challenges that would crush a normal person and always continued forward. On her own. A solitary figure against all odds!

*That* is heroism. A strong, powerful figure! She might not have had a voice, but people respected that! I did!

And yet when the mask is pulled away and she's given a voice, she instantly becomes an unlikable complainer that timidly does as her 'daddy/boyfriend' tells her to do despite having done and see things which would blow his little mind, nevermind the fact she could wipe the floor with him, his men, and half his army by herself. No, instead we're treated to this simpering child who barely seems to have the self-confidence to lift a gun whenever we're treated to her irritating and boring little monologue, which pepper the game liberally. The story dismissing the fact that she's *got* to be at least in her thirties by this point, a veteran of multiple battles and a hero in her own rights. Rather she acts consistently like a little girl, crying out and cowering in fear at the sight of an enemy she's killed multiple times now. Seriously.

And that just ruins all the fun of playing as her. Eug!

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
So Samus has now been changed from her original super independent woman to some ***** who's so needy she can't even use her special moves without say-so? May I say "What. The. Fuck?"

EDIT: Good to see that Team Ninja stuck with that patented "As much fun as an anal rape" camera that made both Ninja Gaidans unplayable. And by "Good", I mean "Team Ninja can fuck right off."

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Well, that settles it, rental. I can always buy it later if I see something in it most of you don't.

Earlier today I even consedered taking a detour to pick it up.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
God dammit, I wanted this game to be good. Maybe it would have made the Wii less of a bad joke. I mean, I truly wanted the Wii to be good, but it isn't. The only game I would want to play on the Wii is Metroid Prime 3. Haven't actually played Other M, but from what I'm hearing, it seems like I won't. I used to be a dedicated Nintendo fan, for God's sake! What the hell, Nintendo?

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
A fair review, I'd say. I'd probably give it the same score, but for different reasons.

I'm overly-opinionated, so here are a few of my thoughts regarding the game, and some things expressed in this thread.

Despite getting a few things right, they got most of it wrong. It's kind of funny; we complain that Nintendo keeps churning out the same game over and over again, now we complain that they did something differently. In this case, it's making a story-driven Metroid game. Basically a giant cutscene where we push buttons here and there.

I thought the story was bland, predictable, and full of science fiction cliches. That would actually be tolerable if it wasn't for the horrible dialogue. "The Deleter"? Please. "May I come closer?" /cringe "Ridley? NO! It can't be!!!" Bleh. This was further ruined by horrible voice-acting. Namely, Samus. I don't know who they got, but she sounded like she was half-asleep the whole time. When I heard the narratives in the commercials, I hoped the voice actress wasn't doing the voice of Samus in the game. "Hope deferred makes a heart sick..." and ears bleed.

I found I really didn't care about anyone, really, apart from Samus, and even then, she was pushing it with her horrible talking and acting.

This is another thing they did right, to my surprise. When I saw him in the trailers and commercials, I groaned. When they explained how he came to be on the Bottle Ship, it made sense, and I thought it was kind of cool. At least it's better than he rebuilt himself, or actually survived the previous encounters.

That being said, Samus' freaking out made absolutely no sense to me. Yes, I understand he biffed up her childhood, and caused a lot of emotional distress (to put it mildly), and under any other circumstances, she'd be right to freak out. Nevertheless, chronologically-speaking, how many times has she fought him? Four? I'm a little fuzzy, here. She should be chuckling and shaking her head while she charges up her plasma beam.

If we're going to cry "sexist" at this game, THIS is where it should be. Shaking in her armor, needing to be rescued by a MAN. Clutch the pearls. Is that Samus Aran, or Lois Lane?

Yeah, between cutscenes, I guess there was some gameplay. I really enjoyed it. Yes, it was INSANELY easy, but that just made it fun to watch. I chide the XBox and PS3 for being pretty but not fun, yet this is exactly why I enjoyed the fighting in "Other M". I liked the little flourishes, like jumping on enemy's heads and firing away, or just running down a corridor at top-speed, blowing everything away with just a button. It's like a hack 'n' slash, only... eh... gun 'n' run? I just thought it was cool.

Everything else, though, got on my nerves. The find-the-pixel bits, especially. Now, I'm a Sierra Adventure Game vet from waaaay back. I've bagged and tagged my share of pixels while a lot of you were still in diapers. Even so, I became rather agitated trying to find the cleverly-hidden object of interest. Most of them were found by sheer luck, after waving the controller around like a fencer hopped up on Red Bull.

The over-the-shoulder moments were terrible, too. I'm told they were to heighten suspense (I think Steve mentions that in his review as well), but it was always anticlimactic. I was never shocked or startled or anything... just let down.

All in all, despite how much I enjoyed it, I felt like I was playing a watered-down Metroid. Sure, there were secret passages, and places to explore, but they seemed a bit tacked-on for the most part. Like they were saying "See? See? You can go into a hole in the background for a missile expansion! It's Metroid!" What made it worse was that such a large chunk was explorable only after you beat the game. Why do I need all these extra missiles and energy tanks? To fight that Crawling Eye and his wallmaster buddies? Bah!

If this game were a movie, it would be a popcorn flick. Is it the pinnacle of its medium? Nope. Is it entertaining? Yup. As a fan of the Metroid games, I don't think it's worth the fifty dollar price tag, but is definitely worth a rent/borrow.

And that's that. "Opinions are like butts." goes the saying, so be glad I'm waving the former around, rather than the latter. Take it as you will.

Veldaroth

Jul 21, 2009
*sigh* so much for descent female role models in video games... This makes me very angry.
Normally, hearing that a game is more "story based" makes me happy, since that's my main reason for playing games, but her character just irritates me and causes me to loose interest. A shame, since I used to really like her char.

http://g4tv.com/videos/48319/Metroid-Other-M-Review/

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Turbo_ski said:
Covarr said:

P.S. Thanks
Sakamoto does not consider the Prime games canon hence no reference to them anywhere in this game at all so she's only faced Ridley twice. Secondly in those games it was on the NES and SNES adn each game took up damn near the entire cart with no real space for anything extra like added characterisation ingame hence the manga and the freaking manuals explaining it all.
Secondly again regarding Ridley and that cutscene it is a little over the top but it is a perfectly reasonable considering you're coming face to face with the thing that killed and ate your mother in front of you. Something you defeated twice and then blew up the planet the corpse was on for good measure and is still here tormenting you. Oh, and one last kick in the nads regarding Ridley you freaking help him earlier in the game without realising it and if you had taken the shot when he was still in his infant stage people would not have died.
Regarding "Lady" and "Princess" all I can say is gogo jumping to conclusions without having played the game and seen the context. She remarks in a cutscene that she saw them calling her those things as a sign of derision and that made her bitter and cold.

Your post has been invalidated thank you good bye

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Sakamoto does not consider the Prime games canon hence no reference to them anywhere in this game at all so she's only faced Ridley twice.
Whether Sakamoto wants them to be or not, I'm pretty sure that Nintendo considers them canon, and Nintendo has final say in the matter. Plus there's all the players that consider them canon, and therefore have a reason not to be happy if MOM takes a course of action that tries to act like the Prime series never happened.

TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Secondly in those games it was on the NES and SNES adn each game took up damn near the entire cart with no real space for anything extra like added characterisation ingame hence the manga and the freaking manuals explaining it all.
1) "The Manga", whether or not it's canon, takes place more or less before the first Metroid game. There's a lot of stuff that takes place between it and MOM which one would expect would cause Samus to change as a character between the two. She's suppose to be 'Samus Aran, Destroyer of Worlds, Scourge of the Space Pirate Menace' by the time MOM rolls around.
2) Did the manuals ever make reference to all the characterization in "The Manga" or MOM? Because if what I've heard is correct, the original manual went so far as to refer to Samus as a "he".

TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Secondly again regarding Ridley and that cutscene it is a little over the top but it is a perfectly reasonable considering you're coming face to face with the thing that killed and ate your mother in front of you. Something you defeated twice and then blew up the planet the corpse was on for good measure and is still here tormenting you. Oh, and one last kick in the nads regarding Ridley you freaking help him earlier in the game without realising it and if you had taken the shot when he was still in his infant stage people would not have died.
Funny, considering all the other times she's faced Ridley. From the cut scene I saw, her decision to, for some mysterious reason, freeze up this time around would have gotten her killed had there not be someone there to save her.

Personally, I would expect that if Ridley was still there to taunt her the way you describe, rather than freeze up, Samus would open fire with everything she's got in a "WHY WON'T YOU JUST STAY DEAD!?" rage-powered assault. It's just as legitimate a change, if not more so, from her previous reactions to Ridley showing up as you're arguing.

TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Regarding "Lady" and "Princess" all I can say is gogo jumping to conclusions without having played the game and seen the context. She remarks in a cutscene that she saw them calling her those things as a sign of derision and that made her bitter and cold.
Except I'm not hearing a lot about 'bitter' and 'cold' being part of her characterization in MOM.

TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Your post has been invalidated thank you good bye
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

And my reality says Turbo_ski's post is more valid than yours could ever hope to be.

Fanta Grape

Aug 17, 2010
Oh God... I wanted this game to be so successful...

I love my precious Wii. Even if it's useless.. TT_TT

Ellipses...

When I first heard about this game, I really wanted it to be excellent. I really did. I felt that the Prime trilogy was lacking in the exploration part and had you stuck on places you really didn't need to be stuck on. Therefore, I as a HUGE fan of the gameboy/SNES ones. So this one was theoretically supposed to appeal to me. But it just looks so.. jarring and chunky and... Why did they make Samus such a weak woman? She's kick ass!

MasterV

Aug 9, 2010
Miumaru said:
Another game I can use to back up my point that gamers dont want anything new, despite all the gamers aying they want new.
Correction. Gamers don't want any new CRAP. If the new is good, it's good. Look at Prime.

MasterV

Aug 9, 2010
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Sakamoto does not consider the Prime games canon hence no reference to them anywhere in this game at all so she's only faced Ridley twice. Secondly in those games it was on the NES and SNES adn each game took up damn near the entire cart with no real space for anything extra like added characterisation ingame hence the manga and the freaking manuals explaining it all.
Secondly again regarding Ridley and that cutscene it is a little over the top but it is a perfectly reasonable
1)NO. The Prime series IS canon. Quote me where the god Sakamoto said otherwise.
2)May I remind you that Ninja Gaiden on the NES had 20 FREGGIN MINUTES of cutscenes? I suspect Gunpei Yokoi (or Miyamoto) knew the crap Sakamoto would write and prohibited him from doing so in length. Even if what you say WAS true, why not put this melodramatic crap in Zero Mission? It had plenty of Manga cutscenes. One before the Ridley fight wouldn't be excess would it? The game is already a retcon with the Pirate mothership (which appeared in Super Metroid as the Wrecked Ship) so I don't see why not, as it was a much better context.
3)Ridly cutscene perfectly reasonable? Riiiight. Off you go to your Sakamoto shrine.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
Ranorak said:
I feel like I should ignore this title and just insist that Samus is still the strong female heroin she was before.
Great idea (no sarcasm)...and the title helps too...kind of. "Other M" or "parallel universe"...one in which Samus is a submissive, depressed and rather "talkative" woman.

Really Nintendo...didn't you know what Team Ninja does best? Haven't seen/ played any Dead or Alive or Ninja Gaiden games? Haven't noticed their depiction and (lack of) characterization of women?

What a shameful and miserable disgrace. I'm afraid only seppuku will suffice now :).

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I'm both saddened and amused at how the people tearing the game apart and the ones defending it have one key thing in common. About 90% of them admit they haven't even played it. Rent it, play until you escape the ship unarmored, then you will actually have a valid opinion. You know those things you get from your own experiences, and not from the result of a coin toss to decide which side of the love/hate war you are gonna be on this time.

possible spoilers

The review itself could have been copied almost unabridged from the pirates last week on gamefaqs lol. One key gripe, i.e. samus needing her "boyfriend's" permission, to use items is flawed for several reasons. First, he is not her boyfriend. The closest thing to a boyfriend she likely ever had was Ian, Adam's younger brother, and after the incident she couldn't stand to be around Adam, and follow his orders anymore. A rash decision perhaps but when you are a walking planetary holocaust machine you have a bit of a fallback job.

Her presence at the bottle ship was unexpected, and rather than step on the toes of her former CO and jeopardize a mission in a situation with potential civilian/facility collateral damage, she forgoes the heavy weapons until the situation demands them.

That in itself is a perfectly sound explanation of why you can't just powerbomb every room, and is far more plausible than an explosion/getting jumped on by Ing as a means to strip your powers. Fusion's having most of your suit cut away makes the most sense though.

The retarded thing about the authorizations tho is that sometimes they make sense. You get ambushed and NEED your wave beam. Tada you got it!

Other times you have to go through several lava rooms and a damn volcano before you use varia. I didn't mind the gravity suit not being authorized right away though because the variable gravity sections were some of my favorites in the game. Having to wall jump DOWN a wall from the ceiling was pretty trippy. Even if disallowing suit upgrades like varia and gravity serve no tactical purpose, its a game. Deal with it.

When you get space jump/screw attack you will probably lol at the dialogue.

The scenes themselves are on average well directed, visually appealing and the action is dynamic. The dialogue is serviceable to good in places. Honestly the opening few scenes of backstory kinda drag out, but after the midpoint of the game the plot actually has a few twists. Whether or not you like them or not, or accept that some are lifted almost directly from fusion, is up to you. Personally the mystery of the deleter intrigued me, and I was disappointed at how neatly it was resolved. Also at how one character in the game had virtually no lines or any appreciable contribution at all other than being one more possible identity of the deleter.

Definite spoilers

Adam's sacrifice was a great scene even though how easily samus was incapacitated was stupid. Even more idiotic was that his sacrifice was truly pointless. He may have taken out the *unconfirmed* unfreezable metroids, but MB wasn't in sector zero and the control metroid specimen wasn't there either for obvious reasons. How he could know enough about the project and yet not know that MB wasn't some AI stuck in sector zero is sad. Especially after they had to reprogram her, and the intel he likely received before heading to the bottle ship would have made mention of Melissa's involvement in the facility being compromised.

Ridley's part in the plot was actually pretty cool. The fact that they spent so much time on Samus's army days and none at all on her childhood means that most people wouldn't have a clue who Ridley is or why he shocks her momentarily. Those that do know, are probably sick of his appearance still being regarded as a suprise. I mean aside from whether or not he'll be another robot this time, that's always a coin toss.

One thing the game desperately needs is skippable scenes. Since you ARE spending a not small ammount of time watching them, I'd have loved to have about twice as much ship to explore than is given. Sector 3 is particularly small, 2 being pretty large and interesting, and 1 being mid sized and the most well designed IMO. There are a few smaller areas but they are like a few rooms is all.

The items are all suitably well hidden. Some are pretty hard to find, even at the "postgame" where they are all marked on the map. The very first missle upgrade you see is sadly one of the ones i had to look at a guide for. I would have been looking for several days lol.

The combat is actually the best part of the game. It ranges from pretty easy to very hectic for regular encounters. Bosses are awesome tho. Some more than others, but the cameos in particular were more fun than the original times you fight them in some cases. Totally suprise extra final boss too. Only downside is the 1st person, not just the missle thing. The "investigation" scenes need a bigger hit box/more obvious target in more than one case.

While my opinion is that this is a decent game that COULD have been excellent, and that it mostly succeeds at what it tried to accomplish, it really should have tried harder. They went to the trouble of trying to revamp the series, and what we could expect for a story from Nintendo of all things. So they really should have brought their A game with that plot. Rehashing pieces of Fusion and Super with 2 subplots that had potential just doesn't cut it.

The characters that aren't Adam or Samus could have had more to them than a name and in K.G.'s case not even that lol. Seriously K.G. had the crap role in this game. I liked Anthony and what little we saw of James and thats it.

The game is a solid 6-7/10. The boss fights and actual gameplay are more than worth a rent. The plot is interesting even if all you get out of it is a reason to ***** on a forum.

Would I want more metroid games like it? HELL NO! Either go back to doing it like Super/Prime 1&2, or they need to do a hell of a lot better next time with an ORIGINAL plot. Hopefully more and better hidden upgrades, that you don't need to beat the game to actually collect the last 3rd of them. Preferably with a larger ship or overwhelmingly preferably a new planet. I like it when the areas aren't so cleanly segregated. At least in Fusion you could in the end travel between sectors easily with hidden paths. I liked the plots and detailed mostly optional scanning of the prime games. I liked the run and gun action of super, and how the immense planet was put together. I.E. sequence breaks and shortcuts involving actual skill and timing.

Zero mission excelled at that as well.

There is virtually no reason to replay Other M other than hard mode. No other endings, no sequence breaks, no super cool shortcuts or tricks. Just a lot of unskippable movies and some good boss fights. Even then Prime 2 had way better.

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
I don't think nintendo have realised what made Metroid Prime so good: the sense of isolation. That, combined with incredibly intuitive first-person combat, and a fantastic artistic design, really made Metroid Prime an incredibly atmospheric and rewarding game to play. Already, I can spot flaws in this game. Camera angles you can't control - that's an instant sentence to video game hell. Poor implementation of Wii jiggle mechanics for the sake of using Wii jiggle mechanics - that's a sin shovelware games commit, not big name franchises like Metroid. Trying to give a backstory to Samus, and it turns out she's always been a whiny *****? That just contradicts Super Metroid anyway, the game it's supposed to follow. Plus, it just looks messy, I've seen gamecube games that look better, such as, oh, Metroid Prime! On a side note, YOU DO NOT DEVELOP A CHARACTER THROUGH CUTSCENES! YOU ARE NOT A FINAL FANTASY GAME!

The sad thing is, nobody will care about this game anyway, since the Wii was doomed to oblivion having no genuinely good games being released this year. Everybody suspected this would suck, and they were right!