Review: The Path

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Incredible Bullshitting Man said:
xitel said:
I´m sure this game requires a lot from the player. Nothing, not even the goal, is given, only hinted and whispered (that´s the impression I got). Exactly that may put some players off. I may not be the right person to say, but many today´s game seem a bit easy to handle and digest. Cinematic cut scenes and traditional plot development make games look more like movies and thus players become more like viewers than participants (a point made several times in different discussions here.) Maybe we as gamers are becoming too lazy to build our own experiences. This game at least seems to put more emphasis on active participation.

Don´t get me wrong now; I´m not against linear stories and cut scenes. Not every game has to be deep and artistic. Let us not forget about having simple fun (the source of fun is relative, of course). It´s just good to see something different for a change.
That's the thing, I found that the game is less about having fun than any other game I've played, save Tale of Tales other experimental game, The Graveyard (I also recommend picking that up, if only the demo). It IS deep and artistic, but not by classical means. You build your own definition of what the game is, in a way, although you can get more backstory if you go to the game's website and research it. Just taking a glance at the ToT forums for the game, you can see that everyone has different interpretations of what the game is. That's the great thing about it, it's made in such a way that you have to try to not get anything out of it.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
xitel said:
xitel said:
I´m sure this game requires a lot from the player. Nothing, not even the goal, is given, only hinted and whispered (that´s the impression I got). Exactly that may put some players off. I may not be the right person to say, but many today´s game seem a bit easy to handle and digest. Cinematic cut scenes and traditional plot development make games look more like movies and thus players become more like viewers than participants (a point made several times in different discussions here.) Maybe we as gamers are becoming too lazy to build our own experiences. This game at least seems to put more emphasis on active participation.

Don´t get me wrong now; I´m not against linear stories and cut scenes. Not every game has to be deep and artistic. Let us not forget about having simple fun (the source of fun is relative, of course). It´s just good to see something different for a change.
That's the thing, I found that the game is less about having fun than any other game I've played, save Tale of Tales other experimental game, The Graveyard (I also recommend picking that up, if only the demo). It IS deep and artistic, but not by classical means. You build your own definition of what the game is, in a way, although you can get more backstory if you go to the game's website and research it. Just taking a glance at the ToT forums for the game, you can see that everyone has different interpretations of what the game is. That's the great thing about it, it's made in such a way that you have to try to not get anything out of it.
I agree. If you go into this game with the mindset that games usually ask of you, you will more than likely hate it. It's best if you think of the gameplay elements as coincidental and beside the point, rather than the actual focus of the game. It's a very difficult experience to define, and it will undoubtedly frustrate many people who try it.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
I agree. If you go into this game with the mindset that games usually ask of you, you will more than likely hate it. It's best if you think of the gameplay elements as coincidental and beside the point, rather than the actual focus of the game. It's a very difficult experience to define, and it will undoubtedly frustrate many people who try it.
Well, that's why whenever I talk to people about it, I tell them "This isn't a game, per se. It's a piece of art." If you can look at a painting and extrapolate meaning, then you'll appreciate The Path. On the other hand, if you go into it expecting even something like Resident Evil or Silent Hill, you'll be sorely disappointed. I mean, the only controls are Move and Run. There's no combat or anything like that, just interaction. It's a completely new experience, and it really redefines what we can call a game. This is definitely a great example of games as art, but at the same time, it's not really a game in the classical sense. There's no real way to win or lose, just experience it.

Feb 18, 2009
xitel said:
xitel said:
snap
In other words, the game encourages the player to take it as it is, without prejudice? Basically the game is a tabula rasa, in which the player through interaction, well, "paints" his/her gaming experience according to his/her personality. Different personalities make different interpretations. The use of Little Red Ridinghood further prevents players from making unnecessary suppositions concerning the story. Most of the audience already know the story of Red Ridinghood. In a way, this game plays with the idea that inherently games are empty, and only through players they have a meaning. A book is a book even if no one reads it (and thus interpret it), but it´s a meaningless book. [EDIT] What I mean is, if you just play a game, you miss much. It requires certain degree of active participation to truly experience a game. Many games just don´t leave that much room for interaction, because they tend to fill in the caps themselves.

When it comes to inducing the feeling of dread, most effective way, in my opinion, is to rely on imagination of the audience; to call out inner fears. Dark forest is a traditional and effective setting for all sorts of frightful events. It sets player´s mind into the right mood, but also leaves a lot room for uncertainty and uneasiness. The Path seems to be very emotional game.

Well, I may be over-interpreting this a little, but that´s OK, if you take it as a rant based on gut feeling. It´s an interesting game. I´m sure there´s much more to it than I´m even aware. The again, maybe not.

Jul 9, 2008
This sounds very interesting. I've been saving up to have my 360 repaired, but I'll drop the $10 for this game as soon as I can, possibly even before my 360 is back. I've never been this intrigued by a game before.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
xitel said:
xitel said:
snap
Snoop
In other words, the game encourages the player to take it as it is, without prejudice? Basically the game is a tabula rasa, in which the player through interaction, well, "paints" his/her gaming experience according to his/her personality. Different personalities make different interpretations. The use of Little Red Ridinghood further prevents players from making unnecessary suppositions concerning the story. Most of the audience already know the story of Red Ridinghood. In a way, this game plays with the idea that inherently games are empty, and only through players they have a meaning. A book is a book even if no one reads it (and thus interpret it), but it´s a meaningless book.

When it comes to inducing the feeling of dread, most effective way, in my opinion, is to rely on imagination of the audience; to call out inner fears. Dark forest is a traditional and effective setting for all sorts of frightful events. It sets player´s mind into the right mood, but also leaves a lot room for uncertainty and uneasiness. The Path seems to be very emotional game.

Well, I may be over-interpreting this a little, but that´s OK, if you take it as a rant based on gut feeling. It´s an interesting game. I´m sure there´s much more to it than I´m even aware. The again, maybe not.
Yes, a blank slate would be a great way to describe it. There's no dialogue, minimal text. You have to decide what happens for yourself. There's plenty of theories on what everything means, and Tale of Tales refuses to tell people whether they're right or wrong. For people like me and a couple other people I know that have played it, it brings about different emotions in everyone. For me, it brought up a recurring nightmare I've been having for a while, and in other people it brought up other emotions. However, the meaning of the game may be different for each person, but it is the reason for each, and it makes sense. It's horrifying for some, although I've heard other people call it beautiful, and others say it's just boring.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Sounds good, BUT Horror games aren't my thing... in fact, if the wolf is what I think it is, I definitely don't want to play the game.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Doug said:
Sounds good, BUT Horror games aren't my thing... in fact, if the wolf is what I think it is, I definitely don't want to play the game.
From what I saw the Wolf is what you make of him, theater of the mind. What you think he might be is probably more disturbing that anything they could try to show on the screen.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Slycne said:
Doug said:
From what I saw the Wolf is what you make of him, theater of the mind. What you think he might be is probably more disturbing that anything they could try to show on the screen.
Exactly. The wolf takes a different form for each girl, and each time it's up to you to decide what he represents and what he means to the player is incredibly varied. Everything in the game is up to your own interpretation, meaning that the wolf IS what you think it is, but that may not be what it is for me or any other person.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Slycne said:
Doug said:
I deliberately left a lot out of the video, rather than spoil the game for anyone. It's definitely up to you to fill in a lot of the gaps yourself, but what happens after you encounter the wolf is where the particularly unsettling stuff takes place.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Doug said:
Slycne said:
xitel said:
Exactly. The wolf takes a different form for each girl, and each time it's up to you to decide what he represents and what he means to the player is incredibly varied. Everything in the game is up to your own interpretation, meaning that the wolf IS what you think it is, but that may not be what it is for me or any other person.
Then no, I don't want to play the game because...well...

to me, it seems as it the wolf is a rapist scumbag, judging from the video

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Slycne said:
Doug said:
I deliberately left a lot out of the video, rather than spoil the game for anyone. It's definitely up to you to fill in a lot of the gaps yourself, but what happens after you encounter the wolf is where the particularly unsettling stuff takes place.
I've actually found that even knowing what happens in certain areas, actually being a part of it and experiencing it is completely different. I mean, I had one of the wolves spoiled for me, but I still got a completely different understanding of what it represented. One thing I will say is that I refuse to tell anyone what my interpretations of the events are, or anyone else's for that matter.

Doug said:

Again, the wolf not only has a different manifestation for each girl, but what the interpretation of it is changes for each person. I will say, the wolf in the video is only one manifestation of it in the game, and only for that girl.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
xitel said:
Doug said:

Again, the wolf is not only has a different manifestation for each girl, but what the interpretation of it is changes for each person. I will say, the wolf in the video is only one manifestation of it in the game, and only for that girl.
Then I'm afraid I won't be playing this game as that is something so repulsive to me that it would drive me off fullstop. Even if there is a UK retailer.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Hmmm, this game looks very, very interesting - I'll have to check it out sometime. I love artsy, experimental stuff like this ^__^

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Tenmar said:
Becareful it's a trap!

So about that wolves comment...were you talking about yourself Susan or the game?

RIMSHOT [http://www.instantrimshot.com]

That game still makes my skin crawl and I haven't even played The Path. Horror games and me don't mix well(left 4 dead loses its horror factor very quickly). Good to know it takes the subtle route and gives each girl their own "wolf" to have a conflict with. Of course I've always been a compared to a wolf so you will forgive me if I haven't shown my claws yet because those girls look delicious.

P.S.

I love making ponies into glue.
Well, you said "insert rimshot here" so I couldn't resist.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Ah, my old nemesis symbolism we meet again.

I'm an anylitical person so artistic stuff goes right over my head.

EDIT: fixed the spelling.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
Ah, my old nemessis(sp) simbolism(sp) we meet again.

Symbolism said:
Dude, you are not my nemesis!
I've got you dead to rights, anyway, you post on the Homestar Runner wiki forums and everyone knows that stuff defies analysis. :D

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
GyroCaptain said:
Eric the Orange said:
Ah, my old nemessis(sp) simbolism(sp) we meet again.

Symbolism said:
Dude, you are not my nemesis!
I've got you dead to rights, anyway, you post on the Homestar Runner wiki forums and everyone knows that stuff defies analysis. :D
A: Thank you for helping with my spelling.

B: I never denied that I post other places. But I do think that humor can be analysed at least to the degree of, if you found it funny or not.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I guess It says something about my mind that as soon as Susan said "not all wolves have fur and claws" And I saw the girl sitting down next to that dude, I just kinda stared at the screen for a moment wide eyed and said "Oh FFFFFFFFFFFFuuuuu..."

But then, I guess that's the whole point of the game.