Review: The Path

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
ffoulksy said:
Now that *does* look good - anyone know if there's a UK supplier? (quick google and I couldn't see anything)
I hope so. This game sounds like the kind of horror game that's just been begging to come out. Add some more subtle mindfucks in there, and I'll be glad to call it Silent Hill's evil little sister.

I'm wondering if it's downloadable actually....

EDIT: Just checked, my computer can't hack it :( actually quite gutted about that....

Willwoms

Mar 17, 2009
slaithe said:
Got it as part of a Steam weekend deal package.

I enjoy THINKING about The Path.
I'm not so sure I enjoy actually PLAYING it.

My further thoughts in a Steam forums post.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934267
Way to ressurect a 2 month old thread.

As a forward note check the date of the last post please.

Kind Regards
Will

P.S I've noticed alot of other thread necromancy going on lately. Just now i looked at a 3-4 month old thread about halo being ressurected.

Wounded Melody

Jan 19, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Most of the original fairy tales are hideously brutal. Snow White is about necrophilia, Sleeping Beauty is about rape, Cinderella is about mutilation; AFAICR, Red Riding Hood has all those and cannibalism.
Where in Sleeping Beauty was there rape?

Feb 13, 2008
Wounded Melody said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Most of the original fairy tales are hideously brutal. Snow White is about necrophilia, Sleeping Beauty is about rape, Cinderella is about mutilation; AFAICR, Red Riding Hood has all those and cannibalism.
Where in Sleeping Beauty was there rape?
It wasn't a kiss she was wakened by, but something else...

Think of that how you may.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Nice to see a game which avoids mainsteam ideals. $10 isn't bad either, but...something isn't right, about this game for me. It's like when I played resi 5 for the first time. I had gotten so used to running and shooting it felt odd, but I perserved because I thought it would be another resi 4 (that it ain't). This looks odd because I'm used to having clear goals and because it's a game which'll challenge the mind, rather then the trigger finger. I'll try it, but I doubt it'll be for awhile, but I'm looking forward to it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Willwoms said:
P.S I've noticed alot of other thread necromancy going on lately. Just now i looked at a 3-4 month old thread about halo being ressurected.
Everyone keeps saying "use the search bar". Well, what did you expect to happen when something someone wants to talk about has already been covered in a (relatively) recent thread?

On-topic, I've played all the way through The Path with all seven girls. There's a lot to think about in the game, but- aside from seeing what each girl has to say about her associated items or places- there's not a whole lot to go back and DO. Some of the game mechanics- like the girls slowing to a painfully leisure walking speed in certain areas- frustrate the desire to have a second look at everything.

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
Sure this game is scary, but there is nothing to it. I dislike all the praise this "game" is getting for atmosphere and atmosphere ALONE.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Quite glad this has been recently dug up, because I just bought the game this past evening (I know, only four and a half months after my post at the top of the page!) and... well, I don't quite know what to make of it. That's a good thing, in this case.

I wouldn't necessarily describe it as 'fun', but I suspect that was deliberate given the experimental tag. It's enjoyable though, probably because I'm one of those people that likes to explore and think about stuff, so in that respect it's right up my street. The styling is nice, the atmosphere is great and I like the music - it's by Jarboe so that's not a massive surprise, to be fair.

I like what that fella up the page said in the Steam forum topic:

A game for the art appreciator, maybe.

Not really art for the gamer.
The only difference is that I see it as a good thing. I always like to see something a bit different or thought-provoking, and The Path is certainly both of those things. I can actually see myself playing it over to get all the things I'm missing this time around, so I'm considering it well worth the £6.29 it cost me.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
I don't think the ending of the video was a good idea. The sitting down on the bench and wolf comment gave quite a bit away. Still, I would like to check it out now, and yes Homo homini lupus. -Titus Plautus.

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
Such a shame that this is a PC only game. Being on of the pretentious games-are-art types simply hearing about the game's significance made it a necessity, but my computer can barely process the 1st Diablo without chewing its own hard-drive up in a blistering rage of overheating pain. It's a shame too; I'm not exactly going to buy a new computer simply for this; though it does sound enticing. I did try the demo, and I could feel my computer heaving under the stress. Wait, don't Microsoft have a home console? That behemoth sitting in my room? Can't anybody see the logic in releasing it on Xbox Live?