Rise for This Live Action Assassin's Creed III Trailer

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
Karma168 said:
Nice to see they're going for a nice even balance between the two sides...

Seriously though wtf happened to the 'everyone is a shade of grey' that previous AC games used? All I got from that was "The British are c***s, lets kill them"

I knew ubisoft would buckle and make America the good guys, cant risk offending weak sensibilities in their biggest market, never mind creative integrity.
Don't forget that America as we know it did not exist as a nation yet, so really, it's pretty much British citizens rebelling against the Crown. Besides, I believe the original intent of the Revolution was to be treated as equal citizens of the Empire. Don't quote me on that though.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Baresark said:
kurupt87 said:
Baresark said:
Haha, the comments in this thread are among the funniest I have seen. They released that trailer yesterday because it was Independence Day in America. People on the internet can be really really thick headed when it comes to Anti-American sentiment.

I don't know why people are having such a hard time dealing with this trailer. It's a game trailer. Last time I checked, this doesn't mimic real life in any form, nor does it advertise itself as a history lesson.
The Ass Creed games have always been pretty even handed in how they portray their characters and factions; those loosely based on real world counterparts anyway. This is why all the publicity for this game comes over badly, because even handed it is not.

I'm not overly bothered, I don't buy new Ubisoft games for my PC, but when I do eventually pick up my used console copy I'd like it to have a decent story; not be some American Patriot's fantasy wank off material.
My main problem with this assessment is that it's not uneven as far as we know. We don't know much of anything about how the game plays out, only that it's from the perspective of the colonists. We have not seen anything that depicts it unevenly. This ad was the closest, but it was clearly aimed at American audiences who were celebrating Independence Day. People are freaking out about this and using it as an excuse for wide spectrum anti-american sentiment, and it's just kind of pathetic that people are freaking over a game we don't know anything about. All the pictures of ingame footage have been mostly battlefields, and last time I checked, they didn't benefit anyone in particular. Also, to point out the obvious, this game is created by a French company. American's don't have any say at all the advertising routes the company takes.
As someone above pointed out, we didn't see an advert to commemorate the Her Majesty's Jubilee which came almost at the same time as the 4th of July. Do you not think that it would've provided a golden opportunity to show off their evenhandedness? Yet they didn't take it. Interesting, no?

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I did like the trailer, but I do hope they weren't lying when they said it will be more morally ambiguous rather than just America is the greatest.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Badassassin said:
Yes, because if this ad campaign has shown anything, it's that British people can't possibly be phased by something so petty as this. Oh wait.
I'm not fussed about the British being 'bad' guys in the game, it's a AC game, everyone's a baddie.

My problem is that this looked like the first game that didn't pander to the 'USA is always good' stereotype in games. Name 1 AAA game where the USA are the villans - not an American citizen but the entire country. I couldn't think of one and google turned up empty.

Even if the game is balanced the fact that the marketing department thought that they had to make a trailer that pretty much sets the scene for the US to be the good guys says that they are more bothered about upsetting Americans than promoting a great game.

I'm still going to buy it as I love the series and want to see where it's going, I'm just disappointed that video game companies still feel that they have to make the US always be in the right just in case they upset Americans who would be pathetic enough to boycott over something so petty.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I can definitely see why this trailer is so heavily biased since it came out on the Fourth of July. However (in general) if Ubi wants people to believe what they're saying about how it's going to be neutral then they need to show that via their marketing campaign not just say that it will be so. If it involves a twist in the plot then I'm ok with it. Either way I'm still going to be purchasing the game on Day One.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
CaptainMarvelous said:
CardinalPiggles said:
I personally don't mind a game in which Brits are killed in cool and stylish ways, I just know that some, very vocal Americans get a boner for patriotism and will most likely rub it in our faces for another 200 years.
They got that from us -_- 1966 is a year which gets brought up nigh on every football game.
Really? I never heard it brought up a single time during the Euro football tournament. In fact, I'd forgotten that even happened over the past few years.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
I agree with the many other commentors. This game seems to take an awful amount of sides. Yes, they have said how neutral the game will be, but so far all the trailers have been awfully littered with Red-Coat bodies. I am not taking sides myself, being scandinavian, but this doesn't look very 'neutral' to me.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
snagli said:
Now to hope there's an alternate ending in which the British win. Realism? History? Screw that.

DUDE! That would be the best ending ever. All this "Let's kill the Brits"-bullshit. All this rage. All the boners of overly patriotic Americans. Then, you spend the game killing the British, being all "THis is not racist 'cause I'm an indian, but USA WOOO", then the last scene, where suddenly, the Brits start fucking shit up.

Blam, Americans dead. Blam, Assasins done. End credits. Good night everybody!

The twist of a lifetime. I would send Ubisoft all my money, just as a thank-you.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
CaptainMarvelous said:
Baresark said:
kurupt87 said:
Baresark said:
Haha, the comments in this thread are among the funniest I have seen. They released that trailer yesterday because it was Independence Day in America. People on the internet can be really really thick headed when it comes to Anti-American sentiment.

I don't know why people are having such a hard time dealing with this trailer. It's a game trailer. Last time I checked, this doesn't mimic real life in any form, nor does it advertise itself as a history lesson.
The Ass Creed games have always been pretty even handed in how they portray their characters and factions; those loosely based on real world counterparts anyway. This is why all the publicity for this game comes over badly, because even handed it is not.

I'm not overly bothered, I don't buy new Ubisoft games for my PC, but when I do eventually pick up my used console copy I'd like it to have a decent story; not be some American Patriot's fantasy wank off material.
My main problem with this assessment is that it's not uneven as far as we know. We don't know much of anything about how the game plays out, only that it's from the perspective of the colonists. We have not seen anything that depicts it unevenly. This ad was the closest, but it was clearly aimed at American audiences who were celebrating Independence Day. People are freaking out about this and using it as an excuse for wide spectrum anti-american sentiment, and it's just kind of pathetic that people are freaking over a game we don't know anything about. All the pictures of ingame footage have been mostly battlefields, and last time I checked, they didn't benefit anyone in particular. Also, to point out the obvious, this game is created by a French company. American's don't have any say at all the advertising routes the company takes.
Or to put it another way, in every released example of footage be it in game or cinematic has had the protagonist killing Redcoats and helping colonists. If we're basing our opinion on what we've seen, it's very f*cking uneven and it's getting harder and harder to take Ubisoft's word for it that it won't be.
You're just finding excuses to be argumentative. The character is a patriot. In the first game Altaire was a Muslim and the major villains were Christians, but no one found fault with that. There are two sides to every conflict, I just don't understand why you folks are so upset about this. Would you rather have the main character be a British Loyalist and trying to overthrow the creation of the American Republic? I wouldn't have a problem like that, but the game is meant to very loosely follow history. And I mean very loosely. If there was no conflict, there would be no game. If they had done a game based around the Japanese occupation of China in 1931, and all the scenes were of an Assassin character killing Japanese, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Or even if we reversed it where it were a Japanese Assassin killing Chinese, you would still be fine with it. You wouldn't be insulted because it was not even handed.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Amnestic said:
Baresark said:
kurupt87 said:
Baresark said:

As someone above pointed out, we didn't see an advert to commemorate the Her Majesty's Jubilee which came almost at the same time as the 4th of July. Do you not think that it would've provided a golden opportunity to show off their evenhandedness? Yet they didn't take it. Interesting, no?
LoL, but it's a game about the American Revolution. If they did make a trailer depicting that, it wouldn't make any sense in the context of the game. Also, I don't think that matters to anyone who isn't British. I mean, in the present context it's a conflict involving both sides. And the depictions of battlefield scenes don't tell us anything about the tone of the game. Only that the main character is a patriot. News flash, during the American Revolution people killed other people. If you were on a battlefield, you were on a side killing other people from the other side. People are really going out of their way to hate on this whole idea.

May 5, 2010
CaptainMarvelous said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
I feel like this needs to be said, but in a way that gets people's attention. It's extremely relevant, and no one is acknowledging it.

[HEADING=3]You guys know Americans didn't make this game, right?[/HEADING]

If anything, blame the French for hating Britain. It makes WAY more sense anyway.
We're generally aware of it, but it doesn't change the target. It's gotten to the point where every time they open their f*cking mouths it's either "We aren't just going to be demonising one side, we're going to be even handed" or "F*ck the red-coats, Amurika F*CK YEAH!". It's really, REALLY hard to imagine the game will be anything other than a load of Colonists and Connor hanging around (personal favourite, him chilling with George Washington, because THAT'S likely from someone who wasn't fond of British or Natives) killing redcoats and creating America on the blood and bones of the evil empire.

And yet despite this jingositic, inaccurate plot of this we probably wouldn't be so pissed off if they wouldn't bald faced LIE about it. If they said "Yeah, we're doing the American War of Independence but it's all from one side" that'd be fine, it's the bullshit "We do it even handedly" that pisses everyone off. I mean, shit, I love AC but I'm really not sure I'm up for buying this, it's just relentless in the bullshit.
Oh, I understand that. I sympathize with it, in fact. I'm just saying...Don't blame America. We have nothing to do with it.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Baresark said:
The character is a patriot. In the first game Altaire was a Muslim and the major villains were Christians, but no one found fault with that.
First of all, Connor's meant to be a Native American. Historically, he should hate the Colonists for what they're doing/did to his people.

Second, I don't think Altair's religion is ever outright stated. According to the Assassin's Creed wikia he had a Christian Mother and a Muslim Father, but nothing more than that so...source?

Third, Christians were not the 'major villains' of AC1. Templars were. Not Crusaders, not Saracens. Templars. You will note that Templars were on both sides. Not just the British Crusaders. Considering that
You get a whole scene where you reveal Robert's treachery to King Richard and he denounces him (strong reinforcer that Templars are villains, not Crusaders, followed by Robert revealing that Al Mualim is the true puppeteer - not the Crusaders.

Unless you're gonna claim that Al Mualim was a Christian?

Fourth, the rest of your post would have more weight if many of the objections weren't about Ubisoft seemingly lying about their product being "even-handed" when all the marketing is Americo-centric.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
In this trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W6JsIyiQHE&feature=relmfu] the character says, "They speak of Liberty and Justice, but for who?"

To me that indicates that this game isn't exactly going to be shitting eagles and apple pie. Obviously the romanticized ideals of individual liberty are going to play an important part, but it's not likely that all of the colonists are going to be good all of the time. I mean, think about it. It takes place in the colonies, who do you think is going to be guarding some of the cities? Who do you think you're going to have to probably stab HUNDREDS of by the end of the game?

Unless literally every city everywhere in the game is always under British control, you are going to be stabbing a metric fuckton of American colonists.

It's a fucking trailer, guys. Released on the day of the celebration of the event it focuses on no less.

Chill the fuck out.

EDIT:

In this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cXbigJHjs8&feature=relmfu] the character says "let the patriots fight their own battles."

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
So is this the new thing devs are going to be doing to advertise games? Fun though they may be to watch they tell me just as little about the quality of the game as it did when they would simply put out pre-rendered trailers.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
There's a point where being histroically accurate and/or having a different take on things becomes blatant pandering to a single market at the exclusion of another one. And I think I saw that point about halfway through the video. Put the patriotism card back in the deck Ubi, you're not doing yourself any favours in the long run.

Also, "Refusing to learn the history of a country I'll never see"? I think fair enough. It may sound belligerent coming from him, but no-one should be forced to learn history if they don't want to. -_-

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Amnestic said:
Baresark said:
The character is a patriot. In the first game Altaire was a Muslim and the major villains were Christians, but no one found fault with that.
First of all, Connor's meant to be a Native American. Historically, he should hate the Colonists for what they're doing/did to his people.

Second, I don't think Altair's religion is ever outright stated. According to the Assassin's Creed wikia he had a Christian Mother and a Muslim Father, but nothing more than that so...source?

Third, Christians were not the 'major villains' of AC1. Templars were. Not Crusaders, not Saracens. Templars. You will note that Templars were on both sides. Not just the British Crusaders. Considering that
You get a whole scene where you reveal Robert's treachery to King Richard and he denounces him (strong reinforcer that Templars are villains, not Crusaders, followed by Robert revealing that Al Mualim is the true puppeteer - not the Crusaders.

Unless you're gonna claim that Al Mualim was a Christian?

Fourth, the rest of your post would have more weight if many of the objections weren't about Ubisoft seemingly lying about their product being "even-handed" when all the marketing is Americo-centric.
It's true, Altaire's religion was implied as he answered directly to a Muslim leader. But also the naming convention is that of Islamic background, specifically the use of term "ibn" within his name, which means "son of". But I recognize that it could also be a result of his regional upbringing. The Knights Templar are among the most famous Western Christian Military Orders. They were representative of the Christian role in the Crusades, as well as many other knightly orders. Some of the more famous of those others being units like the Hospitallers (not sure if this is spelled correctly). As far as Al Mualin being the puppet master, you didn't know till the end that was the situation. The staging ground were the Crusades which was a war between Islam and Christendom, though that conflict is in the backround. That is not to say the background conflict to this title will not be the revolution. But Altaire clearly killed men of Christian descent, and I will say it again, no one had an issue with this. And the staged main villain was obviously Knights that were part of the Christian empires of the era.

Second, a person of Native American descent would have equal reasons to hate the British and colonists. Yet, there were many situations, historically, where Native Americans did not hate the colonists. There was a great divide among the various Native American tribes, some fought on the side of the Colonists, other on the side of the loyalists. Also, with a name like Connors, he is not specifically Native American, he is a mix. His name sake is Irish, who historically have had plenty of reason to hate and despise the British.

Once again, no proof is given that it's not even handed. Such statements can't even be argued till someone has played the game. You know nothing about the game, as I know nothing about the game. All we have seen is a handful of action shots. But regardless of the outcome, the broad spectrum anti american sentiment caused by this is what annoys me.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Daveman said:
It's making it damn hard for me to like this game as a Brit. I mean it's saying we're the bad guys pretty damn clearly despite that being less than true ( http://www.cracked.com/article_18442_5-reasons-founding-fathers-were-kind-dicks.html ).

There's definitely some preposterous notion of black and white that's being enforced by this game. The past two Assassins Creed games weren't even remotely based on the conflict of the time and it had you assassinating people on both sides of the war.

I mean I know it's only a game but for a series that accurately represented the cities of the time to the point that it's instantly recognisable to people who've been there, it doesn't seem to care even remotely for an accurate portrayal of the war.
Dude.
It was a trailer. Just one. There will be more. It was specifically out for the fourth of July. OF COURSE IT WAS FOR THE AMERICANS. I can expect to see a trailer for the British.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Vkmies said:
I agree with the many other commentors. This game seems to take an awful amount of sides. Yes, they have said how neutral the game will be, but so far all the trailers have been awfully littered with Red-Coat bodies. I am not taking sides myself, being scandinavian, but this doesn't look very 'neutral' to me.
Doesn't look very neutral to you yet. We're just beginning to see trailers, boys and girls, relax.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Just going to leave this here:
http://kotaku.com/5918810/can-americans-not-handle-the-sight-of-their-ancestors-being-killed-in-assassins-creed

In summary: Every single thing in advertising and publicity so far has been anti-British, not just this trailer. The reason apparently being that Ubisoft thinks that Americans either can't cope with the idea of colonists being assassinated. Or would get confused by it, thinking Connor is fighting on the side of the Brits.