Rise for This Live Action Assassin's Creed III Trailer

Perryman93

Mar 27, 2009
Well I won't be buying this blatant piece of anti-British propaganda..... Its not even subtle anymore, no matter what Ubisoft say....

silent-treatment

Oct 15, 2009
Veterinari said:
Imagine the New York skyline with a massive gothic castle in the middle. 8)
God, I really wish game developers would jump of the realism thing and start making things up again because this would be effing sweet.

OT: I sighed a little when the commercial got going and I realized how skewed it was going to be. It is a panderfest and pointlessly so, the only demographic of gamers that would be completely taken in by this ad are already getting the patriot on playing COD. Seriously AssCreed fans wont be impressed by this, and it wont bring in as many new people as it will disenfranchise old long time British fans. This really makes no sense, and kind of remindes me of the Dead Space 2 ads *Shudders*

Though as a film student I did admire the commercial itself. It was well shot and well acted. Pretty cool stuff.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
silent-treatment said:
the only demographic of gamers that would be completely taken in by this ad are already getting the patriot on playing COD.
CoD? The one where the Americans get killed in massive numbers, the bad guy behind it all turns out to be an American general, and it's the heroic Brits who save the day and kill the final baddie? That CoD?

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
tehpiemaker said:
Daveman said:
tehpiemaker said:
Daveman said:
It's making it damn hard for me to like this game as a Brit. I mean it's saying we're the bad guys pretty damn clearly despite that being less than true ( http://www.cracked.com/article_18442_5-reasons-founding-fathers-were-kind-dicks.html ).

There's definitely some preposterous notion of black and white that's being enforced by this game. The past two Assassins Creed games weren't even remotely based on the conflict of the time and it had you assassinating people on both sides of the war.

I mean I know it's only a game but for a series that accurately represented the cities of the time to the point that it's instantly recognisable to people who've been there, it doesn't seem to care even remotely for an accurate portrayal of the war.
First of all, cracked is a comedy sight, and I never take anything on there for fact. Secondly, I have a theory that the Colonist Templars are going to be a big part of the story line, so they can't show to much of them or else we'll get spoilers. So calm your shit, brit.
Well that would be a good twist, but I doubt it.

Also I'm aware of Cracked being a comedy site, but they generally are right with overtones of hyperbole and they do tend to source fairly well.
You do your own research and site them, then maybe we can talk. As for the American Templar plot, just watch me be right about that.
I just remembered the article and thought it was of some significance. Also "sight" is to do with seeing, "site" is a place (potentially on the internet) and "cite" is to do with citations. I know that makes me sound like a twat but it was bugging me.
RoBi3.0 said:
LOL you quoted a humor website, as if it were some kind of historical authority. I am not saying you are completely wrong, just pointing out that you should maybe actually try to prove your point.
I think the point could be argued much better by people who actually study history. It was only meant to be a humourous link that was vaguely related. Being English I studied English history at school, though I did admittedly learn a small amount about American history, most of which I've forgotten.

The main point of my post was just to say that I'm finding it hard to get myself invested in the plot of this game because it's been so staunchly anti-British in the advertising, almost comically so. There may be a twist where the Colonists are also evil but that's speculative at this point.

To be honest I'm now wondering if it takes the piss more out of Americans for them believing how absurdly noble the goals of all the colonists were, even down to the level of some kid not wanting to do his history homework.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
1337mokro said:
From watching this trailer I can only assume the actual events occurred something like this:

In the Second Era of Man. At the end of the seventh century a great shadow was cast over the Eastern American Coast. King George the Third had forged a dark and evil tax. A tax which would rule all taxes before it. Valiantly the Colonials refused education, exporting goods, demanded political representation and decided to rise up.

Sensing the rebellion against his rule the Dark lord gathered his armies in the East, across the deep seas he amassed his horde. He gathered the vilest of creatures and the most despicable of men to his cause. The Irish, The British, The Welsh, The Germans. All abominations of nature headed his call. Thus the Black Ships set sail. To bring death and destruction to America.

What is this? Seriously people? Come on. This is borderline fucking ridiculous. I get it it's a 4th of July advertisement, of course it's going to play to American patriotism to get them to buy the game. But this?

It's so bad it's almost good. No no scrap that. It's so bad it's almost like EA made it. If you told me this was an EA add I'd believe you.

The fact that Connor is mostly anti British wouldn't bother me so much, except when you pick up a history book and see the Cherokees, supporting Britain. Guess what our little Connor is? Yep, half Cherokee. If anything Connor would be siding with the British first, Americans second.

I will just continue being amused by Ubisofts marketing department wanking of the big old american patriot cock. I just hope that after all this pandering they just do a complete 180 in the game and we get to see Americans taking to the forums complaining about how the game gave a fair depiction of both sides rather than portraying the Americans as complete saints.
I had

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAk0hEVGgMY

playing in the background when i started reading your post. I know it was a combination of a happy coincidence and your own wit, but i have to say you made my day! i haven't laughed that loud in a long time :)

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Funny how the protagonist of an anti brit game has an Irish name

Think i might swap my hurley for a Tomahawk :p

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Daveman said:
tehpiemaker said:
Daveman said:
tehpiemaker said:
Daveman said:
It's making it damn hard for me to like this game as a Brit. I mean it's saying we're the bad guys pretty damn clearly despite that being less than true ( http://www.cracked.com/article_18442_5-reasons-founding-fathers-were-kind-dicks.html ).

There's definitely some preposterous notion of black and white that's being enforced by this game. The past two Assassins Creed games weren't even remotely based on the conflict of the time and it had you assassinating people on both sides of the war.

I mean I know it's only a game but for a series that accurately represented the cities of the time to the point that it's instantly recognisable to people who've been there, it doesn't seem to care even remotely for an accurate portrayal of the war.
First of all, cracked is a comedy sight, and I never take anything on there for fact. Secondly, I have a theory that the Colonist Templars are going to be a big part of the story line, so they can't show to much of them or else we'll get spoilers. So calm your shit, brit.
Well that would be a good twist, but I doubt it.

Also I'm aware of Cracked being a comedy site, but they generally are right with overtones of hyperbole and they do tend to source fairly well.
You do your own research and site them, then maybe we can talk. As for the American Templar plot, just watch me be right about that.
I just remembered the article and thought it was of some significance. Also "sight" is to do with seeing, "site" is a place (potentially on the internet) and "cite" is to do with citations. I know that makes me sound like a twat but it was bugging me.
RoBi3.0 said:
LOL you quoted a humor website, as if it were some kind of historical authority. I am not saying you are completely wrong, just pointing out that you should maybe actually try to prove your point.
I think the point could be argued much better by people who actually study history. It was only meant to be a humourous link that was vaguely related. Being English I studied English history at school, though I did admittedly learn a small amount about American history, most of which I've forgotten.

The main point of my post was just to say that I'm finding it hard to get myself invested in the plot of this game because it's been so staunchly anti-British in the advertising, almost comically so. There may be a twist where the Colonists are also evil but that's speculative at this point.

To be honest I'm now wondering if it takes the piss more out of Americans for them believing how absurdly noble the goals of all the colonists were, even down to the level of some kid not wanting to do his history homework.
I was pretty annoyed by the kids comment. It almost feels like the whole trailer is making funny of America. Which I am fine with. We need to stop taking ourselves so seriously.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
*flip table*

OK, that's it. I'm done trying to defend this game. Nice going UBI, as an American, I can no longer say "it's not anti-British, chill out". The UK-ers were right, and I'm done.

*flies off with a jetpack*

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
I love every second of it. It is very much american. If you don't like it, don't watch it. This goes for every TV show/movie etc you run into.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
I have two more points to make (both of which I'm fairly certain I've mentioned on other threads on the subject of AC III). First, yeah, this was a 4th of July trailer, and it's reasonable that it's a bit one-sided. However, it seems I missed the trailer they released in connection to the queen's jubilee... Anyone got a link?[footnote]This is a sarcastic remark concerning their insistence of impartiality; don't waste your time on finding it, I made it up...[/footnote] Second: the marketing department of Ubisoft has created the most attention they could without going the Mass-Effect-there-might-be-sex-Good-God-way. It might all be deliberate. (Or at least I hope so; it's pretty much the one remaining hope I have that the story won't be The Patriot: the Game...)

Edit: man, a quick search on Youtube gave even more hits one this than I expected: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWRCsa1OO4k

Please, Ubisoft, you still have time to prove me wrong on everything but the annoying marketing-thing...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
To all those who say "It was released on the 4th. OF COURSE IT'S GOING TO BE OVER THE TOP PATRIOTISM." I will ask you this:

Which is more patriotic- Respecting your roots with accurate historical knowledge, seeking to educate people about the truth behind why your rebelled, or covering them up with what amounts to propaganda?

I guess you guys are okay with Sarah Palin's Paul Revere comment because "it's patriotic, so get over it", right? Screw historical accuracy! Screw educating your gaming consumerbase! Let's appeal to the lowest common denominator because apparently you guys will guzzle it whole!

Stuff like this:

thisbymaster said:
I love every second of it. It is very much american. If you don't like it, don't watch it. This goes for every TV show/movie etc you run into.
Should make you ashamed of yourselves.

Games can do so much more to educate about a key part in your country's history and by allowing this sort of pathetic 'patriotic' pandering to be deemed 'acceptable' you denigrate both yourself and the history it's supposed to be representing.

/Good day sir.

May 5, 2010
I feel like this needs to be said, but in a way that gets people's attention. It's extremely relevant, and no one is acknowledging it.

[HEADING=3]You guys know Americans didn't make this game, right?[/HEADING]

If anything, blame the French for hating Britain. It makes WAY more sense anyway.

May 5, 2010
thisbymaster said:
I would like to note that this guy does not get to decide what's "American" and what's not. As an American, I am BEGGING you not to take his word for it. I also find the "Country I'll never see" line ridiculous.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I really don't take much surprise or offense at a trailer of game set in the American Revolution released on the 4th of July being pretty pro-American. The child's line did make me cringe but the rest seemed fine for their context.

I see about as much underhanded anti-British propaganda here as I saw anti-Christian propaganda in the older AC games. Which is to say, portraying them as the main bad guy, but probably gonna end up not all that simple.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I personally don't mind a game in which Brits are killed in cool and stylish ways, I just know that some, very vocal Americans get a boner for patriotism and will most likely rub it in our faces for another 200 years.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
I feel like this needs to be said, but in a way that gets people's attention. It's extremely relevant, and no one is acknowledging it.

[HEADING=3]You guys know Americans didn't make this game, right?[/HEADING]

If anything, blame the French for hating Britain. It makes WAY more sense anyway.
We're generally aware of it, but it doesn't change the target. It's gotten to the point where every time they open their f*cking mouths it's either "We aren't just going to be demonising one side, we're going to be even handed" or "F*ck the red-coats, Amurika F*CK YEAH!". It's really, REALLY hard to imagine the game will be anything other than a load of Colonists and Connor hanging around (personal favourite, him chilling with George Washington, because THAT'S likely from someone who wasn't fond of British or Natives) killing redcoats and creating America on the blood and bones of the evil empire.

And yet despite this jingositic, inaccurate plot of this we probably wouldn't be so pissed off if they wouldn't bald faced LIE about it. If they said "Yeah, we're doing the American War of Independence but it's all from one side" that'd be fine, it's the bullshit "We do it even handedly" that pisses everyone off. I mean, shit, I love AC but I'm really not sure I'm up for buying this, it's just relentless in the bullshit.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
kurupt87 said:
Baresark said:
Haha, the comments in this thread are among the funniest I have seen. They released that trailer yesterday because it was Independence Day in America. People on the internet can be really really thick headed when it comes to Anti-American sentiment.

I don't know why people are having such a hard time dealing with this trailer. It's a game trailer. Last time I checked, this doesn't mimic real life in any form, nor does it advertise itself as a history lesson.
The Ass Creed games have always been pretty even handed in how they portray their characters and factions; those loosely based on real world counterparts anyway. This is why all the publicity for this game comes over badly, because even handed it is not.

I'm not overly bothered, I don't buy new Ubisoft games for my PC, but when I do eventually pick up my used console copy I'd like it to have a decent story; not be some American Patriot's fantasy wank off material.
My main problem with this assessment is that it's not uneven as far as we know. We don't know much of anything about how the game plays out, only that it's from the perspective of the colonists. We have not seen anything that depicts it unevenly. This ad was the closest, but it was clearly aimed at American audiences who were celebrating Independence Day. People are freaking out about this and using it as an excuse for wide spectrum anti-american sentiment, and it's just kind of pathetic that people are freaking over a game we don't know anything about. All the pictures of ingame footage have been mostly battlefields, and last time I checked, they didn't benefit anyone in particular. Also, to point out the obvious, this game is created by a French company. American's don't have any say at all the advertising routes the company takes.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
CardinalPiggles said:
I personally don't mind a game in which Brits are killed in cool and stylish ways, I just know that some, very vocal Americans get a boner for patriotism and will most likely rub it in our faces for another 200 years.
They got that from us -_- 1966 is a year which gets brought up nigh on every football game.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Baresark said:
kurupt87 said:
Baresark said:
Haha, the comments in this thread are among the funniest I have seen. They released that trailer yesterday because it was Independence Day in America. People on the internet can be really really thick headed when it comes to Anti-American sentiment.

I don't know why people are having such a hard time dealing with this trailer. It's a game trailer. Last time I checked, this doesn't mimic real life in any form, nor does it advertise itself as a history lesson.
The Ass Creed games have always been pretty even handed in how they portray their characters and factions; those loosely based on real world counterparts anyway. This is why all the publicity for this game comes over badly, because even handed it is not.

I'm not overly bothered, I don't buy new Ubisoft games for my PC, but when I do eventually pick up my used console copy I'd like it to have a decent story; not be some American Patriot's fantasy wank off material.
My main problem with this assessment is that it's not uneven as far as we know. We don't know much of anything about how the game plays out, only that it's from the perspective of the colonists. We have not seen anything that depicts it unevenly. This ad was the closest, but it was clearly aimed at American audiences who were celebrating Independence Day. People are freaking out about this and using it as an excuse for wide spectrum anti-american sentiment, and it's just kind of pathetic that people are freaking over a game we don't know anything about. All the pictures of ingame footage have been mostly battlefields, and last time I checked, they didn't benefit anyone in particular. Also, to point out the obvious, this game is created by a French company. American's don't have any say at all the advertising routes the company takes.
Or to put it another way, in every released example of footage be it in game or cinematic has had the protagonist killing Redcoats and helping colonists. If we're basing our opinion on what we've seen, it's very f*cking uneven and it's getting harder and harder to take Ubisoft's word for it that it won't be.