RPGs Should Ditch the Stats

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Terramax said:
Gxas said:
I don't see exactly how else they would do this. It works doesn't it? Why change something that has worked for so long?
Because it hasn't worked. People such as myself gave up on the genre long ago, as many more are.
You gave up for the exact reason that you didn't like the numbered stat sytem? That one reason alone made you stop playing RPGs? I'm sorry, I don't believe you.

My guess is that RPGs just aen't your type of games. It isn't the number system, its you.

The numbered stat system has worked, extremely well. You are one person who doesn't like it, that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

gdnvs

Dec 28, 2008
This doesn't seem like a very good idea. I remember when I didn't understand the damage system of Oblivion, I had no clue wether my silver shortsword was more powerfull or not then my fine iron longsord. In an RPG without stats how am I supposed to know wich item is better, descriptions perhaps, but that would require an apraiser to play the game properly.

BlackDodongo

Apr 15, 2009
Terramax said:
Amnestic said:
Terramax said:
Gxas said:
I don't see exactly how else they would do this. It works doesn't it? Why change something that has worked for so long?
Because it hasn't worked. People such as myself gave up on the genre long ago, as many more are.
Racing games have always had the mechanic of being "First" in the race to win. I've never found this working and I gave up on the genre, as many other have done.
That's a silly comparison. You race to come first to prove you're the most skillful/ the best on the race course. That requires skill and determination.
RPG's are not about a players skill with the controller, mouse or whatever you happen to be using. They are about the players intellect and the player exploiting his characters strengths and covering his weaknesses to create strategies for the battles ahead. RPG's are all about the thought process. If you don't like thinking then RPG's clearly are not the genre of game you should be playing.

Stats in RPGs on the otherhand are completely illogical.

How does killing the same creatures 1000s of times somehow make you stronger/ gain more experiece? If I went out with a sword and sliced and diced 1000 rabbits would I suddenly end up stronger somehow. No (don't ask me to prove this! XD).
I don't know about killing 1000 rabbits improving your battle skills but I know killing 1000 lizardmen, hellounds, skeletons etc. would certainly make you a more capable fighter. Using rabbits is a completely stupid referance. I have seen only a handful of RPG's that included your common rabbit and those rabbits gave you barely enough exp. to level up to level 2.

Stats and battles are merely filler for turning a 10 hour story/ gaming into an 80 hour one. This goes w/o saying most stat based RPGs have battles that require little to no skill or thought at all. And how do wolves you've killed give you money and armor? Completely illogical.
I have to agree that some battles in some RPGs take no thought at all. But in that case it is your character/party and the bigger battles that you have to put the thought into. And even so, this is not the case with all RPGs. (I hate to use the example that everyone else is using but I'm going to have to) Fallout 3 has you putting atleast some thought into all of your encounters. Even if you just use VATS you still have to think about where you want to hit the big hulking Behemoth. As I said before, RPGs are all about the thought.

It's worth noting that Shenmue is one such RPG that attempted to eliminate stats. I also consider Zelda to be an RPG also. There are ones that try, and succeed in eliminating this flaw in the genre, but they're too far and in-between.
I am sory to inform you but Zelda is not an RPG. It is an adventure game. It is similar in the fact that it heavily emphasises the story and characters but there is no definition from one players game to the next. In the end everyone is still playing the same old Link with the same old equipment. RPGs are about personalising your characters to make them play how you want them to play. Admittedly "classical" RPGs in the style of games like Final Fantasy all have the same characters etc. but in the end, your party is going to play differently to anybody elses because you have fitted them with the equipment you want and tweaked their stats so that they can fullfill they're roles on the battlefield.

I think that the main defining characteristic of an RPG is that you are playing the game through YOUR character. YOUR character will be played how YOU want to play it. Whether you want to run in with a huge Axe and behead everything that stands in your way or if you want to fry everything with a freshly made fireball (sorry to use some RPG stereotypes) or a mixture of everything it is up to YOU and YOU alone.

Stats accomplish this perfectly and if you can come up with a system that works just as smoothly I would love to hear it and test it out but the fact of the matter is such a system has not been developed effeciently as far.

I do like the "Oblivion" system, where as you use your skills they evolve and you progress this way. The only problem I had with Oblivion is that you could still easily level up in the other skills easily if you knew how, creating "uber" characters and essentially breaking the game. But that is for another disscussion.

Levels are in the same boat as Stats. Levels in RPGs are indicators as to how well you will fare against your foe. They tell you how powerful your opponent is without giving away too much away. For example my Thief is level 37 whereas my opponent is level 32. This way I know that I should fare fairly well against my opponent but I still do not know the full picture. My opponent could have a devastating attack power and kill me in one blow.

Again, levels work. Simple as. If you can come up with a system that works better that let me know. But untill then, lets just keep Stats and Levels as they are.

tl;dr
Stats and Levels work. Leave them alone.

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
Terramax said:
How does killing the same creatures 1000s of times somehow make you stronger/ gain more experiece? If I went out with a sword and sliced and diced 1000 rabbits would I suddenly end up stronger somehow. No (don't ask me to prove this! XD).
In reality you would have gotten stronger, since you would in essence have been doing workout and you would have gotten better at hitting your tagets, since hitting a rabbit with a sword is quite difficult and killen 1000 of them would mean that you where quite good at hitting.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Gxas said:
Terramax said:
Gxas said:
You gave up for the exact reason that you didn't like the numbered stat sytem? That one reason alone made you stop playing RPGs? I'm sorry, I don't believe you.

My guess is that RPGs just aen't your type of games. It isn't the number system, its you.

The numbered stat system has worked, extremely well. You are one person who doesn't like it, that doesn't mean it doesn't work.
I'd also add that just because you don't like RPGs, doesn't mean that RPGs should be changed to suit you. When you start doing that, you alienate more traditional RPG players.

I already miss my top down/isometric RPGs, which have gone out of fashion for the most part, as well as turn based games. Thankfully I can take refuge in the older games, indie games and hopefully Dragon Age...

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
The Article Of Wrong said:
Like chimps have become people, games have also evolved
Nope, sorry, you lost me right there. Chimps did not become people. A common ancestor to both branched and evolved seperately into pan troglodytes and homo sapiens.

The rest of your points were probably wrong as well. Evolution: Understand It Better.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
BlackDodongo said:
I do like the "Oblivion" system, where as you use your skills they evolve and you progress this way. The only problem I had with Oblivion is that you could still easily level up in the other skills easily if you knew how, creating "uber" characters and essentially breaking the game. But that is for another disscussion.
I, on the other hand, do not like the Oblivion system. It basically means that you spend an inordinate amount of time doing trivial pointless shit to get your skills up to the point where you can do anything even slightly useful or interesting with them. Especially magic skills, which were pointlessly rubbish at low levels and barely worth it at high levels either.

I much prefer a points buy system like Fallout, where I can actually train my character in, for instance, lockpicking without having to obsessive compulsively pick every single lock on the entire planet before I'm any good at doing it.

Triple G

Sep 12, 2008
Gxas said:
I saw a mod for a game that removed all the numbers and stats, and was all intuitive. You had no health-meter, no character display. But it pulled it off very very good, you noticed if you got better, you noticed when you got hurt, you noticed when the sword you wanted to carry was too heavy, you noticed it, too. It looked very realistic.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I see no problem with stats as they exemplify the Carrot on a Stick gameplay that makes RPG's popular. Just one more level, just one new skill point, just one more loot chest...

The RPG and the MMORPG by extension are made ADDICTIVE in a very real, pyschological sense by this incremental reward system, and the random gambling of loot drops. World of Warcraft owe's it's smash financial success to stats.

I feel he present's the idea that we should look to CHANGE UP THE EQUATION, which isn't bad at all. I don't think I can get behind eliminating stats at all, but exciting new ways of changing stats so you can feel like a badass from the getgo but still get incrementally stronger, would make the RPG system even awesomer.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
What Tidball calls "statistics" are really an underpinning part of all game design. They're not a core mechanic of RPGs: they are everywhere.

Even run-of-the-mill FPSes have health points and set damage for certain weapons hitting certain points of the body. Some (Quake, Half Life, Doom, Turok, and so on) even have shield numbers, which are functionally just the same as Strength and Endurance stats with a different name. How do you think a developer determines how fast you can run in these games? The same way as with Agility - statistics.

The only difference with RPGs is that these numbers are displayed, and modified in such a way as the character can improve alongside the player as they progress through the game, and understand that development, allowing for tweaking and customisation.

I would argue that, if you cut out the ability for a game character to improve and for the player to understand that development and guide it as they wish, you are actually advocating the removal of a good feature. Yes, simple design can be useful, easy to learn, and can allow for a skill (rather than luck or time spent) basis in gameplay, but the removal of visible statistics is only the loss of a benefit and a deepening layer of the gaming experience.

Remove such a feature, and you might please the casual side of the community. However, the hardcore (who, let's face it, are the main consumer of RPGs) will hate any designer that does it to a game calling itself an "RPG". You watch.

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
I think it is right to at least move away from the accepted structure of stats. Games like Mass Effect show an ability to use leveling and advancement without the tired old idea of needing D&D-like numerical stats, like KOTOR did.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Well most RPGs have combat. RPGs usually allow you to specialize in one area of combat of and customize your character. If you don't have states to judge how good or bad something is then you have to have descriptions like "good at melee combat!" or "good at spells!" To me these descriptions seem more nebulous and uncertain then numbers. It almost seems like a step backwards to remove numbers. How do you decide who is best when you don't have absolutes like numbers? Maybe you can hide the numbers more, but it seems like states are the best way to decide on the absolute strengths and weaknesses of a character.

Borrowed Time

Jun 29, 2009
In RPG's with stats, you can actually see the numbers that are affecting your character. In games such as FPS's, Sims, God Games, etc... you just don't see the numbers as it's all behind the scenes. Why does being able to see the numbers make it outdated and stagnating?

BlackDodongo

Apr 15, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
BlackDodongo said:
I, on the other hand, do not like the Oblivion system. It basically means that you spend an inordinate amount of time doing trivial pointless shit to get your skills up to the point where you can do anything even slightly useful or interesting with them. Especially magic skills, which were pointlessly rubbish at low levels and barely worth it at high levels either.

I much prefer a points buy system like Fallout, where I can actually train my character in, for instance, lockpicking without having to obsessive compulsively pick every single lock on the entire planet before I'm any good at doing it.
I have to agree that the Oblivion system is not perfect and I do aswell find that Im often pointlessly grinding to get my blade skill up. However my problem with the Fallout system is that the stats don't have a very noticable effect on the game. The stats only "limit" you in that game. For example in Oblivion, if I had 10 more skill points in blunt then the mace I just got will be significantly better. However the same cannot be said for Fallout. The Hunting Rifle will always roughly be the same.

My point is I like the "basis" of the Oblivion system is good. It can be made better and I hope to see more games use a system similar.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Only if FPSs should ditch guns, fighting games should not let you hit eachother, racers should not have cars, and humans not have thumbs.

Mitsukya

Jan 16, 2009
Well, if we hadn't of had the mentality to change what's already working... We'd still be living in caves, not daring to explore new ways of thinking, or anything new at all, really!!
We need to start thinking of new, revolutionary ways to operate the things we love, and see if they can yield better results.