Rumor: Bethesda Teases Next Fallout With New Website - UPDATED

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Varitel said:
Just out of curiosity, what makes no sense about setting it there? Obviously everything's still up in the air, and we can't make any good assumptions about what Bethesda will do until they tell us, but why would Boston/Cambridge make any less sense than any other place in the world?
He said the sites hints of the game being in Europe makes no sense, not that setting it in Boston doesn't make any sense.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
hm...mention of Rockville Maryland suddenly makes me nostalgic for no reason whatsoever...not homesick at all, just nostalgic.

Anyway, Can't wait to see that sweet Fallout 4 reveal! I'm hoping for an entry taking place in New England to be honest...or a city on or close to the Canadian boarder like Seattle or, Vancouver (which shows my complete misunderstanding of where things are in relation to other things)

Cranky

Mar 12, 2012
Goddamn, can't wait till the reveal. Maybe they should do one in the Midwest. Could 2299 be the year the game takes place?

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
Varitel said:
Just out of curiosity, what makes no sense about setting it there? Obviously everything's still up in the air, and we can't make any good assumptions about what Bethesda will do until they tell us, but why would Boston/Cambridge make any less sense than any other place in the world?
He said the sites hints of the game being in Europe makes no sense, not that setting it in Boston doesn't make any sense.
She, actually. But yes, that was my point.

I am very much looking forward to a Boston/Cambridge game. Europe would just be a nonsensical letdown for me.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
SajuukKhar said:
Paradoxrifts said:
You do know that the franchise shamelessly borrows much of its 'unique' art-style from Retro Futurism [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrofuturism], right?
Yes, but that was never what the series was about, that was just a interesting backdrop.
It's part of the unique design elements that sets helps differentiate Fallout from other examples post-apocalyptic works of fiction. Once you strip that veneer away you're quickly left with some very genre standard material. Also don't forget that you spend just as much time picking through the ruins and learning about the people who lived, worked and died there as you spend interacting with the inhabitants of the wasteland.

SajuukKhar said:
And indeed, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, and Fallout New Vegas largely dropped most of the 50's esthetic for more modern designs in things like weapons and armor.

Only fallout 1 and Fallout 3 played the 50's thing big. and 2/5 =/= core of the series.
But in all honesty, what's the one piece of technology that everyone associates with the Fallout franchise? Is it the ability to upgrade hunting rifles with a scope? The leather armour that has been cured from brahmin hide? Of course not. It's the Retro-Futurism styled Power Armour.

Just as relevant is the fact that every single game to date has been about dealing with the restless skeletons that have been left unattended in the closet of a dead nation. The Master and his Super Mutant Army. The Enclave. Robert Edwin House. And even when the fauna and flora goes rogue and tries to eat you it's usually far more dangerous then it otherwise would be because of their exposure to the forced evolutionary virus.

The corpse of America is no more an interesting backdrop than the titular monster in a horror film.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
00slash00 said:
I completely forgot China was in Human Revolution. Rome was in one of the Assassin's Creed games but I don't recall seeing France, except in Velvet Assassin or something. Europe would be a better location from a visual standpoint. I feel like there's a lot more well known and iconic buildings and architecture in Europe than in China. I just think that since China is such a major part of the Fallout lore, it could be a more interesting setting as far as story is concerned.
I'm in the process of catching up with the Assassins Creed series. Only finished the first title recently. Nice to know that Rome is on the agenda.
Actually, I don't know much about Fallout lore. I missed playing the originals back in the day and only started with Fallout 3. I know that China and the U.S. nuked the hell out of each other, but I have no idea how Europe plays into it all and what is actually going on there, as it isn't mentioned much in the games either. Maybe that's also a good reason to explore it in a new Fallout game.

You seem to know a bit about Fallout lore. Maybe you can explain to me how come there are Chinese rifles spread around all over the U.S? ;) As far as I know, the Chinese only invaded Alaska.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
If it is a fracking prank... The guy who's doing all this shit is the fucking spawn of satan himself!
My reaction to that guy, if that's the case

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Skeleon said:
In Britain? Are you guys serious? Replace the USA with a setting so culturally similar? Please don't.
There are similarities, sure,but there are similarities to America in almost every country. But it's really quite a different place. Like, very different.

I would like it to be in England, since it would just really work well, but part of me wants it in Australia as payback for Mad Max being set in America.

SuperfastJellyfish

Jan 1, 2012
I'm not American, but fallout doesn't work anywhere but America. Maybe spinoffs, but the main Fallout storyline is a hyper parody of America/America in the fifties.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010

I can't describe how happy this makes me. Personally, I really wouldn't like seeing a Fallout game outside of America but I am interested to see what we've got to look forward to in terms of trailers, gameplay and all that jazz in the next few months.

I hope they bring Three Dog back. I liked Three Dog. Listen here, if you killed Three Dog.. Fuck you. You hear me? Fuck you.

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
SuperfastJellyfish said:
I'm not American, but fallout doesn't work anywhere but America. Maybe spinoffs, but the main Fallout storyline is a hyper parody of America/America in the fifties.
That's why England would work... Post-war atmosphere bombed out London baby.

The American setting is based on 50s america and the attitudes raised surrounding fear of nuclear war.
A british setting could play on similar themes but play on the british reaction which was national pride/xenophobia.

Europe in general had a pretty rough time in it pre-50s (to understate it just a bit) so why shouldn't it be just as rich a thematic setting.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Yeah, I thought they implied pretty heavily that it would be in boston. And it makes sense, too, especially for a main game. As people have noted, Fallout is an quintessentially American series; 50's America is crucial to the settings and themes.

Not that I wouldn't mind an international spin-off, but I don't think that's what Bethesda is working on.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The site source code offers no hints one way or another, although the morse code sound file is named "bridgeport," which may carry some significance.
Bridgeport. Great. That can be anywhere.

Here's hoping we get a game in the Midwest. Chicago, Detroit, Toronto with any luck.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
RaNDM G said:
Bridgeport. Great. That can be anywhere.

Here's hoping we get a game in the Midwest. Chicago, Detroit, Toronto with any luck.
There was a game set in the Midwest already, it spanned from Chicago all the way to Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado.

It was called Fallout: Tactics, and Bethesda considered it canon.

SuperfastJellyfish

Jan 1, 2012
Dascylus said:
SuperfastJellyfish said:
That's why England would work... Post-war atmosphere bombed out London baby.

The American setting is based on 50s america and the attitudes raised surrounding fear of nuclear war.
A british setting could play on similar themes but play on the british reaction which was national pride/xenophobia.

Europe in general had a pretty rough time in it pre-50s (to understate it just a bit) so why shouldn't it be just as rich a thematic setting.
So then maybe a spinoff. Main game wouldn't work anywhere but America, and no one can really change my view on that. Nowhere in the world really has/had an attitude like America. Especially during the fifties, and as such, a main numbered title would fall flat and not feel like Fallout.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
00slash00 said:
I completely forgot China was in Human Revolution. Rome was in one of the Assassin's Creed games but I don't recall seeing France, except in Velvet Assassin or something. Europe would be a better location from a visual standpoint. I feel like there's a lot more well known and iconic buildings and architecture in Europe than in China. I just think that since China is such a major part of the Fallout lore, it could be a more interesting setting as far as story is concerned.
I'm in the process of catching up with the Assassins Creed series. Only finished the first title recently. Nice to know that Rome is on the agenda.
Actually, I don't know much about Fallout lore. I missed playing the originals back in the day and only started with Fallout 3. I know that China and the U.S. nuked the hell out of each other, but I have no idea how Europe plays into it all and what is actually going on there, as it isn't mentioned much in the games either. Maybe that's also a good reason to explore it in a new Fallout game.

You seem to know a bit about Fallout lore. Maybe you can explain to me how come there are Chinese rifles spread around all over the U.S? ;) As far as I know, the Chinese only invaded Alaska.
Yeah, I don't know what role the rest of the world had in things. I would imagine they're be involved some way. I know the US annexed Canada so when China Nuked the US, they would have Nuked Canada as well. I don't recall hearing about Europe though. It definitely seems like its a part of the story worth exploring, China just seems like the next logical step, since they were they other key player in the war.

I'm not exactly a master of Fallout lore. Most of what I know I learned from playing Fallout 1 and 2, and that was about a decade ago. But to my knowledge, there were Chinese spies in D.C. and China also snuck Chinese weaponry in to America in order to equip communists and Chinese sleeper agents within the country

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
If Fallout was set anywhere else but America, expect massive changes, not just in geography, but the entire setting. FOr one, there are no Vaults in Europe, or Russia, or Australia, or whereever it could be set outside the US. They might have some bomb shelter system, but nothing like the Vaults, well except Russia, since their whole metro system was actually designed to act as a nuclear fallout shelter but we already have a post-apocalyptic game franchise for russia, so that one is out anyway.

So, Vaults are gone. FEV is gone, which means no supermutants or similarly mutated critters such as deathclaws. The thing about the mutated critters is that during the War several bombs hit West-Tek which released FEV into the atmosphere which sort of bonded with the radiation and settled on the surface, i.e. ridiculous mutations. Ghouls are unlikely since their creation requires a sudden, massive burst of radiation without the heat and pressure that a nuclear blast produces, given we lack vaults..unlikely.

Now onto the Setting. The war happened in 2077, not the 1950s. America was culturally stuck in the mindset of that timeperiod, they basicly never had their 60s, 70s or 90s. Hence why for example they have those oversized cars and those 50s fashion. That does not mean the rest of the world was similarly stuck. Say China, or Japan, or France could have had, culturally speaking, a highly advanced society, post-modern so to speak.

So to recap:
-No Vaults
-No FEV (Supermutants, Deathclaws, probably Ghouls)
-No 50s stuff

And thats just the changes which are fact at this point. Basicly no country other than the US would function like the US does if we would set the Fallout games there. The games would be so radically different that they may as well make it a new franchise entirely. Plus all your known factions are gone. All of them without exception. Because their existance is based upon very specific and precise circumstances that you cant just re-create elsewhere. Fallout: London would NOT be Fallout. It is that simple.